The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDF: (3) Winnipeg Jets vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-0

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 2  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Looks like some posters need to eat some nasty crow. 

“It was a clean hit”’.  :lol:

Even the donkey who runs the DOPS who is an ex-goon said it was dirty.  Even Matthew Barnaby, one of the dirtiest players in the history of the league, said it was dirty. 

Time to take the big L and move on...

spacer.png

• Haha 4

So, I'm curious as to people's thoughts.....Sheifele has made a statement:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/jets-scheifele-shows-contrition-defends-record-wake-suspension/

Since the prevailing sentiment seemed to be that the hit was targeted and "dirty" (so much so that a couple of posters are even taking victory laps for being "right") is the prevailing sentiment now that Sheifele is lying about his intent?

46 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/jets-scheifele-shows-contrition-defends-record-wake-suspension/

Since the prevailing sentiment seemed to be that the hit was targeted and "dirty" (so much so that a couple of posters are even taking victory laps for being "right") is the prevailing sentiment now that Sheifele is lying about his intent?

Yup. 

• Hydration 1

I’m thinking Scheifele likely thought him coming full speed at Evans would be enough to make him bail on the wraparound.

Problem is Evans never actually looked up to see him coming so he was already committed.

That being said Scheifele absolutely needs to let up. He can still hit him just not at that speed.

• Hydration 2
49 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't think he's lying I think that was his intent going in, I just don't understand how he couldn't have seen that he was too late to prevent the goal and couldn't have tried to hold up a bit on the hit. 

But he isn't a dirty player, and has never done anything like this. And he's paying a big price for it, which might be the difference in the series. 

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I’m thinking Scheifele likely thought him coming full speed at Evans would be enough to make him bail on the wraparound.

Problem is Evans never actually looked up to see him coming so he was already committed.

That being said Scheifele absolutely needs to let up. He can still hit him just not at that speed.

That's all been more or less litigated. I'm just wondering if people think he's lying with his explanation.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't think there's any question = that's highly suspendable.

The two key elements there imo -

1) he lauches himself - lifts into that hit - winds up leaving his feet as a result.

2) the chicken wing element

I love the Jets - love Scheifele's fire, and his hatred of losing - but he also has a bit of a challenge staying level-headed - and he clearly comes unhinged at times here.  People relying on the 'it's the playoffz' thing are in denial imo.

I don't really have an iron in this fire.

I love both these teams.

I'd have loved to see a series where both these teams are healthy - and stay healthy.

But that hit cost the Habs an important bottom six forward - and it's appropriately costing the Jets their top line center for four games.

I have a hard time seeing the Jets take this series if Scheifele is out four games.

The one area the Habs might be a bit vulnerable - is with a pair of 20 and 21 year old middle six centers in their lineup - off the puck.   Suzuki and Kotkaniemi have been very good - productive - but that is one area where a team that is deep and veteran down the middle might create matchup challenges for the Habs.

Anyhow - I had the Habs in OT in game 7 before the series started - I'll be very impressed if the Jets take it that deep without Scheifele - he's pretty damn important to them.

But I'd mitigate that by saying that the Jets are well built - they have depth at center - even without Scheifele - they still have Stastny, Lowry, Thompson, Copp and Dubois can be moved to center (along with a few other 'natural' center winger conversions....I won't write them off - but it'll be more difficult to produce enough....

Well said. Agree with your two key points. You pretty much sum up how I feel about the entire incident and aftermath. Especially the part about the challenge of Scheifele staying level-headed and becoming unhinged at times in the game.

He had a challenge staying level-headed all game and slowly let frustrarion get the better of him as the game progessed. The end result was an extention of and release of that build up.

Unfortunate incident, Scheifele is being held accountable, and the Jets will most definitely be in tough without him.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Hydration 2
1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think he's lying I think that was his intent going in, I just don't understand how he couldn't have seen that he was too late to prevent the goal and couldn't have tried to hold up a bit on the hit. 

But he isn't a dirty player, and has never done anything like this. And he's paying a big price for it, which might be the difference in the series. 

Again, I have to bring up my years in the game (and please understand that I don't intend to be condescending) but I understand it perfectly. The time difference between the goal and the hit was a fraction of a second....

But again, this has all been litigated. What prompted my question was the folks who insisted that he wasn't trying to stop the goal and that he was frustrated (or whatever) and decided to blast Evans.

So, we have one poster who says he's lying and two (i count myself here) who say he isn't.

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

That's all been more or less litigated. I'm just wondering if people think he's lying with his explanation.

I don’t think so.

I think his full intent was to prevent a goal.

Once he was committed to hitting him it was too late to bail.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Just now, DeNiro said:

I don’t think so.

I think his full intent was to prevent a goal.

Once he was committed to hitting him it was too late to bail.

As do I. Thanks

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

honestly thought it was only gunna be* 1-2, cause he isnt a dirty player, this his first suspension?

Edited by TNucks1
59 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think it falls somewhere right in the middle. Scheifele's record proves he's not some assclown like Reaves or Wilson with zero regard for other player's safety. That's in Scheifele's favor. He was exhibiting some frustration throughout the game, which, in my humble opinion, came to a head in the hit on Evans, wherein I believe he meant to hit Evans, and now he's paying for it. 

It's done, and I hope that Evans gets better and that Scheifele gets to see at least one playoff game.

My frustration is once again squarely on the DoPS. They gave Scheifele four games, which I think is fair. However, if the league considers his actions worthy of that type of suspension, then they should have suspended both Reaves and Wilson for an entire season, as I see those two as a blight on the league. Serial offenders who have little to no respect for their opponent.  

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Gnarcore said:

IMO 3 games too many for what is being penalized due to Schiefele being really fast and Evans having his head down. 

I would have been okay with more, but what bothers me is the deviation from precedent.

The NHL just finished slapping the wrists of two repeat offenders and have decided to lower the boom on a guy with zero history.

As Deb pointed out the other day, it's eerily similar to the Aaron Rome suspension. He was scapegoated, because the NHL didn't like the optics of Nathan Horton doing the bacon with such a huge audience (especially the American portion) so they threw the book at AR.

At the time they justified it by saying that it was going to be the "new standard" moving forward, but that ended the following season when GMs and owners started complaining to Bettman and Daly about suspensions to their players. Everyone was cool with harsh punishment when it was a third pairing, journeyman defenseman, but when their top guys started getting the book thrown at them, execs started complaining and they quickly reverted to the kind of joke decisions we're seen lately.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. It's the arbitrary manner of this decision that bothers me.

People were asking the hypothetical "What if it were Petey?" the other day, but I'd counter with "What if it were Bo and he just got 4 games after Reaves and Wilson got next to nothing?"

I wonder if there would be so much "Justice is served" talk then.....

• Hydration 1
Just now, Toyotasfan said:

Hopefully no Habs players get bodychecked tonight seeing how they’re all made of glass and the DOPS protects them like their George Parros’ children.

Weber, Gallagher, Chiarot, Edmundson are made of glass? 

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think it falls somewhere right in the middle. Scheifele's record proves he's not some assclown like Reaves or Wilson with zero regard for other player's safety. That's in Scheifele's favor. He was exhibiting some frustration throughout the game, which, in my humble opinion, came to a head in the hit on Evans, wherein I believe he meant to hit Evans, and now he's paying for it. 

It's done, and I hope that Evans gets better and that Scheifele gets to see at least one playoff game.

My frustration is once again squarely on the DoPS. They gave Scheifele four games, which I think is fair. However, if the league considers his actions worthy of that type of suspension, then they should have suspended both Reaves and Wilson for an entire season, as I see those two as a blight on the league. Serial offenders who have little to no respect for their opponent.  

So....you believe he's lying about his intent then? That was the question. There really isn't any "middle".....

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I would have been okay with more, but what bothers me is the deviation from precedent.

The NHL just finished slapping the wrists of two repeat offenders and have decided to lower the boom on a guy with zero history.

As Deb pointed out the other day, it's eerily similar to the Aaron Rome suspension. He was scapegoated, because the NHL didn't like the optics of Nathan Horton doing the bacon with such a huge audience (especially the American portion) so they threw the book at AR.

At the time they justified it by saying that it was going to be the "new standard" moving forward, but that ended the following season when GMs and owners started complaining to Bettman and Daly about suspensions to their players. Everyone was cool with harsh punishment when it was a third pairing, journeyman defenseman, but when their top guys started getting the book thrown at them, execs started complaining and they quickly reverted to the kind of joke decisions we're seen lately.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. It's the arbitrary manner of this decision that bothers me.

People were asking the hypothetical "What if it were Petey?" the other day, but I'd counter with "What if it were Bo and he just got 4 games after Reaves and Wilson got next to nothing?"

I wonder if there would be so much "Justice is served" talk then.....

The DoPS has no precedent to deviate from. There is no consistency involved in any of their suspensions.

• Hydration 1
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to NDF: (3) Winnipeg Jets vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-0
  • -Vintage Canuck- unpinned this topic