• Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/04/2021 at 11:30 PM

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Yet, most everyone seems to be happy with the suspension....

It doesn't strike you as unfair in any way? :unsure:

I don’t know how you can look on consistency for a suspension on a play like this when the play itself was almost unprecedented 

• Cheers 1

My personal feeling is the DOPS tries to almost pull off "make up" calls like what happens in games.

Like they miss the mark (intentionally) then feel they can apply what they haven't done to others....to others.   Doesn't work that way though.  They're so far off the mark it's ridiculous.  The Wilsons, Marchands, etc. get free passes that others pick up the tab for.  

I felt that 2 games was likely "right" in this situation.  Except, when I compare against what Edler did...maybe not.  That's the problem for me...there's no consistent application to compare to.  It's all over the map.

This was a brutal hit that, for me, WAS malicious.  Not predatory in the way that he "targeted" the player...but he unleashed frustration and rage on him.

One thing I feel is really dangerous is...applying the condition of "injury".  Because that's after the fact and too late.  It should be the act, not the result.  Sure, add a little more but don't rule on that.  Two things happen....players will dance on the edge of the line and hope that there isn't an injury.  And some may stay down to get the injury component factored in.

Plus...too late.  You're penalizing a guy for doing something that you should be more proactive in preventing, not addressing after the fact.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yet, most everyone seems to be happy with the suspension....

To each their own. I think the outcome of Evans being stretchered off the ice played into the perspective. 

It doesn't strike you as unfair in any way? :unsure:

Which? The people being happy with it, or the suspension itself? If talking the suspension, I think two to three would have sufficed. This has the shadow of the Rome on Horton hit all over it.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

To each their own. I think the outcome of Evans being stretchered off the ice played into the perspective. 

Which? The people being happy with it, or the suspension itself?

The suspension.

In light of what two repeat offenders were given in these same playoffs.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The suspension.

Updated my post. I think Wilson should have been suspended for an entire season, same for Reaves. For me, those two displayed a flagrant and purposeful disregard for their fellow players, while Scheifele, got caught up in the emotion of the game, and wanted to light Evans up but didn't intend to injure him.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Which? The people being happy with it, or the suspension itself? If talking the suspension, I think two to three would have sufficed. This has the shadow of the Rome on Horton hit all over it.

Exactly what I said in an earlier post. I believe the league is making an example of Sheifele, because they hate the optics of a guy going off on a stretcher. All other contributing factors (precedent, the player's intent, the player's history) go out the window.

To me, it's pretty much textbook unfairness.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The suspension.

For the record, Paul Byron was suspended 3 games for charging last season. It wasn’t nearly as violent as Schiefele’s hit and, line Scheifele, Byron was a first time offender. Factor in the violence if the hit and the injury to Evans it’s not unreasonable to give Scheifele a longer suspension, even with factoring in the playoff element it’s still a fair number.  

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

With Scheifele out, I wonder if both teams would look at the retribution early in the game and be done with, but you never know.

Both Scheifele and Evans are out of the game. It would pointless at this point. Hopefully any fight that occurs does so because of something happening in game.

Just now, qwijibo said:

For the record, Paul Byron was suspended 3 games for charging lady’s season. It wasn’t nearly as violent as Schiefele’s hit and, line Scheifele, Byron was a first time offender. Factor in the violence if the hit and the injury to Evans it’s not unreasonable to give Scheifele a longer suspension, even with factoring in the playoff element it’s still a fair number.  

Sorry to hear that lady's season was cut short. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Exactly what I said in an earlier post. I believe the league is making an example of Sheifele, because they hate the optics of a guy going off on a stretcher. All other contributing factors (precedent, the player's intent, the player's history) go out the window.

To me, it's pretty much textbook unfairness.

Which is textbook DoPS. And it's Scheifele, god dammit!

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

For the record, Paul Byron was suspended 3 games for charging last season. It wasn’t nearly as violent as Schiefele’s hit and, line Scheifele, Byron was a first time offender. Factor in the violence if the hit and the injury to Evans it’s not unreasonable to give Scheifele a longer suspension, even with factoring in the playoff element it’s still a fair number.  

Disagree, but here we are....

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Jets still have a number of offensive weapons in Connor, Dubois, Ehlers, Wheeler and Copp. It's not like they're at a big disadvantage, but yes, losing Scheifele hurts.

Was thinking the same thing. They'll be happy to get Stastny back though.