• Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/04/2021 at 11:30 PM

"That’s why I wanted to come back to Vancouver. I could have seen myself finishing out my career there. But hockey is a business, I understand that. And at the end of the day, there was no offer from the Canucks’ end, so we had to go another direction. It was disappointing, but I knew that there was going to be a team out there that wanted me and saw me for the player I know I am."

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Makes 0 difference. Toffoli did not even receive an offer. Virtanen did.

Dismissing the monumental f up by Benning doesnt make it any better.

Who said I am dismissing it, he never chose Virtanen over Toffoli. Virtanen was only offered a deal AFTER Toffoli signed. So saying he CHOSE Virtanen over Toffoli is misleading at best. 

The priority was improving defence which he did, sucks he was unable to move salary to make keeping Toffoli and Virtanen possible. 

Hindsight obviously makes this look much worse than it already was. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

2011: Burrows goes to Round 3 with the Canucks.

2017: Burrows goes to Round 3 with the Senators.

2021: Burrows goes to Round 3 with the Canadiens.

Third times the charm!

Hoping the hockey-gods make amends.

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

2011: Burrows goes to Round 3 with the Canucks.

2017: Burrows goes to Round 3 with the Senators.

2021: Burrows goes to Round 3 with the Canadiens.

He actually went to the 4th round/finals in 2011

8 minutes ago, Bleed Blue and Green said:

"That’s why I wanted to come back to Vancouver. I could have seen myself finishing out my career there. But hockey is a business, I understand that. And at the end of the day, there was no offer from the Canucks’ end, so we had to go another direction. It was disappointing, but I knew that there was going to be a team out there that wanted me and saw me for the player I know I am."

If he stayed he'd be playing golf right now. I'm glad he went somewhere with a shot at winning it all. I hope he wins the Cup. 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I agree with you about Toffoli etc.  But this is not the place.  There are about 10 other pro and anti Benning threads to go to. 

Go Habs Go Burr!

Cheering for Toffer & Burr to get the SCup.

Then maybe, after JB’s contract expires, I’m hopin’ there’s a chance both guys return to VanCity & show our youngsters how to get themselves & our long-suffering city a SCup, too!   

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We don't mention the Bruins series on here...

At least he got through 3 Garys in that season. Let's see how the Habs do when faced with their first Gary-ing.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Who said I am dismissing it, he never chose Virtanen over Toffoli. Virtanen was only offered a deal AFTER Toffoli signed. So saying he CHOSE Virtanen over Toffoli is misleading at best. 

The priority was improving defence which he did, sucks he was unable to move salary to make keeping Toffoli and Virtanen possible. 

Hindsight obviously makes this look much worse than it already was. 

The decision to keep Virtanen was made before Toffoli signed with Montreal.  Virtanen had to be qualified to retain his rights as RFA - that deadline is before free agency.  Virtanen had arbitration rights and did file.  Once he was qualified they couldn’t just walk away anymore - the arbitration ruling is binding unless the award is over circa 4.5M.  He was coming off an 18 goal season so was going to get a decent raise.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1