• Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/04/2021 at 11:30 PM

Anyway.  I didn’t mean to go down the Toffoli rabbit hole.  I just responded to a poster who suggested it was Toffoli’s choice to not return to Vancouver rather than Bennings choice.  I’m done with the topic. Just enjoying Montreal’s success so far 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

This is from after he signed in Montreal. So there was no reason to lie and say how much he wanted to stay in Vancouver at that point. 

“From the second I got on the ice there, I just loved it. I was on a line with Petey and Millsy and we had incredible chemistry right from the get go. I just had a different feeling coming to the rink each day. I was rejuvenated. Obviously everything got flipped upside down when the season shut down due to the pandemic, but I felt a real connection to the city. Cat and I both did.

I got hurt in the bubble and the series against Vegas didn’t quite go our way last summer, but it seemed like the start of something special out there. And I just felt like I really fit in with that group off the ice. Everything was easy.

That’s why I wanted to come back to Vancouver. I could have seen myself finishing out my career there. But hockey is a business, I understand that. And at the end of the day, there was no offer from the Canucks’ end, so we had to go another direction. It was disappointing, but I knew that there was going to be a team out there that wanted me and saw me for the player I know I am.”

More reason not to burn bridges and have the while fanbase and media on his heels making him the devil. 

Point is take everything a player say with a large grain of salt. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

More reason not to burn bridges and have the while fanbase and media on his heels making him the devil. 

Believe what you choose. Once again I was laying out the facts as they were presented.  If you don’t want to take a player’s statement at face value that’s fine.  I’m done with the topic.  

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Just relaying the facts.  

Toffoli publicly stated he wanted to stay in Vancouver 

Benning asked him to wait but never actually extended an offer

Toffoli signed with Montreal 4 days into free agency

Benning stated he wanted Toffoli but he “ran out of time”

Yes we already know this from the 499 other posts...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Playing devils advocate.

What did you expect Toffoli to say to the Van media? Of course he will say he wants to stay to our over sensitive media. 

He didnt have to say anything.

But sure, lets suggest he was lying, had no intention of signing in Van, and waited until 4 days in to sign with Montreal just to not blow his cover. 

I mean, we have to say whatever it takes to take the blame for $&!#ting the bed off Benning, right?

He didnt offer him a contract. Too busy chasing OEL. How do we know it would have taken 4.25 mil for 4 years to get Toffoli to stay? Maybe he would have accepted less if Benning had not run out of time in the 6 months he was on the team.

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

On the upside, the Toffoli whining will continue

5e62f23a897851bfe2e16b30620d05d115fe4a47

Can you imagine if the Habs win and Toffoli wins the Conn Smythe?  I can see a "Tyler Toffoli, do we really need him" thread reaching about 1000 pages...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Its funny how when the $&!# the bed stories come out, everyone is somehow lying except Benning. 

Players and gm's lie all the time. That much is true. 

But ask yourself. Ehat reason would Toffoli have to say all that? Why would he provide that much detail when a "I would have liked to stay but it didnt work out" would have accomplished the same thing? To somehow make Benning look bad? 

Nothing about what he said or how he said it came off as anything but sincere disappojntment at the Canucks not trying to keep him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Price finally shows up and let's see how they will do against the Isles/Bruins.  Imo, they are just a pretender in these playoffs but who knows ?

They’ll have to get through Vegas/Colorado first.  The winner of the Isles/Bruins series plays Tampa/Carolina 

Just now, qwijibo said:

They’ll have to get through Vegas/Colorado first.  The winner of the Isles/Bruins series plays Tampa/Carolina 

You sure cause based on my Google search it indicates the winner of the Isles & Bruins series; either way, it will be a tough go with any of those teams and Price will have to keep playing the way he is, for them to have a chance. 

On 5/28/2021 at 9:08 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Toffoli has 2 assists in the playoffs. He’s not exactly lighting it up when it counts. He’s one of the main reasons Toronto is on the verge of getting to the 2nd round. His scoring has completely dried up along with the rest of his team. 

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Monday morning quarterbacks are always great friends.  You get to hear them talk about what happened in the game after the fact and all the stupid decisions the coaches and players made during the game.

I'm sure your tune would have changed if Toffoli ended up having an average year like he did in 2018 when he only scored 13 goals.  Or what about the 2016 and 2018 playoffs where he played 9 games in total and scored zero goals.  I am sure you would have been pissed if Benning had signed him to a $4.25 million contract and he only got 9 goals this year (prorated over a full season).

But of course Toffoli ate his wheaties all summer and winter long and came out and had his greatest season ever in his career at age 29.  I mean it was totally to be expected.  Benning should have known this.  Too bad Benning sucks at being a Monday morning quarterback.  Unfortunately he only plays the game on Sundays.

But but Toffoli had 10 points in 10 games last year, Benning should have known it was no fluke and Toffoli was going to have his greatest year ever this year...

Looking forward to the 500 new posts about Toffoli in the coming weeks.  Meanwhile I am just going to enjoy watching the Habs win the Stanley Cup for Alex Burrows...

You couldn’t have been more wrong about Toffoli’s playoff performance. Many of us were hugely disappointed when he wasn’t re-signed because we knew the team would be poorer without him. Your antipathy towards Toffoli appears to have prejudiced any objective evaluation of his talents.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

You sure cause based on my Google search it indicates the winner of the Isles & Bruins series; either way, it will be a tough go with any of those teams and Price will have to keep playing the way he is, for them to have a chance. 

Positive. 100% 

69DC282B-3EFC-4B64-ABD9-733F6022FB68.png

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Thanks - will still be a tough road for them either way..

For sure.  With the Vegas/Colorado series tied 2/2 it could give the Habs a bit of a leg up. But they’re going to have to be a “Team of Destiny” to make it through 

Just now, qwijibo said:

For sure.  With the Vegas/Colorado series tied 2/2 it could give the Habs a bit of a leg up. But they’re going to have to be a “Team of Destiny” to make it through 

Yeah, also the time off will probably allow them to quarantine as they head south.   

11 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

You couldn’t have been more wrong about Toffoli’s playoff performance. Many of us were hugely disappointed when he wasn’t re-signed because we knew the team would be poorer without him. Your antipathy towards Toffoli appears to have prejudiced any objective evaluation of his talents.

Awww, I love the Monday morning quarterbacks who love to bring up the old posts.  Of course you knew Toffoli was going to be a star in the playoffs and score the overtime winning goal right?  I mean it was so apparent when he only had those 2 assists how he was going to break out right after I posted my comments.

Can you tell me what the lotto numbers will be for Friday as well since you can predict the future?

20 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He didnt have to say anything.

But sure, lets suggest he was lying, had no intention of signing in Van, and waited until 4 days in to sign with Montreal just to not blow his cover. 

I mean, we have to say whatever it takes to take the blame for $&!#ting the bed off Benning, right?

He didnt offer him a contract. Too busy chasing OEL. How do we know it would have taken 4.25 mil for 4 years to get Toffoli to stay? Maybe he would have accepted less if Benning had not run out of time in the 6 months he was on the team.

:bored:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1