• Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/04/2021 at 11:30 PM

8 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If toffoli did re-sign with us would that really have made much of a difference on the season we had. I dont think so. 

not this season. If we can end up with a really good 3C missing out on Toffoli will be worth it, but Jim has to make the cap space really count this offseason. Its a big task. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not this season. If we can end up with a really good 3C missing out on Toffoli will be worth it, but Jim has to make the cap space really count this offseason. Its a big task. 

I think if the plan is to go have 3 scoring lines the Canucks are going to need wingers. Podkolzin looks to be someone who will start as a bottom 6 and could make his way up. With Hoglander (Top 6), Pearson (Top 9), Boeser (Top 6) and Miller (Top 6 and possible 3C) that Canucks still need a Winger.

If the Canucks want to have 3 scoring lines (and it's a big stretch calling the 3rd line a scoring line unless they get a good play making 3C)

Miller - Petterson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - ???

Pearson - ??? - Podkolzin 

And this is IF Podkolzin pans out in his first season. So looking at this line up the Canucks need a 3C and a RW. Toffoli would have fit in nicely as the RW and now Benning will need to find another RW either by Free Agency (and hopefully get a player as good a Toffoli with the same deal) or via a Trade (where he would need to give up another asset).

10 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He has proved he is a good prospect at a position the Canucks are very weak at in terms of prospects.

Having not proven anything at the nhl level yet doesnt mean a bottom feeding team should throw him away for a rental.

Madden realistically was not gonna crack the Canucks roster. He was expendable.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think if the plan is to go have 3 scoring lines the Canucks are going to need wingers. Podkolzin looks to be someone who will start as a bottom 6 and could make his way up. With Hoglander (Top 6), Pearson (Top 9), Boeser (Top 6) and Miller (Top 6 and possible 3C) that Canucks still need a Winger.

If the Canucks want to have 3 scoring lines (and it's a big stretch calling the 3rd line a scoring line unless they get a good play making 3C)

Hoglander - Horvat - ???

And this is IF Podkolzin pans out in his first season. So looking at this line up the Canucks need a 3C and a RW. Toffoli would have fit in nicely as the RW and now Benning will need to find another RW either by Free Agency (and hopefully get a player as good a Toffoli with the same deal) or via a Trade (where he would need to give up another asset).

That’s why I think the best thing to do is just keep Miller at center. He likes playing there and he’s more than capable.

Acquiring a center in a trade or free agency is going to be much harder and much more costly than acquiring wingers.

??? - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - ???

Hoglander - Miller - Podkolzin

Thats a high energy gritty third line that’s more than capable of providing secondary scoring.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

If Habs face Vegas it Vegas will win in 6 since I can see Price stealing a game or two

If Habs face the Avs, Habs will be swept too much elite fire power for Price to steal any of the games

I'm not so sure....

Going into the series against the Jets, i might have said something similar, but the Habs are finding ways to shut down pretty potent offenses. This team is starting to look a bit like the '93 Habs.

I still think that both the Golden Knights and Avalanche are better teams, but I thought the Leafs and Jets were better teams as well....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The funny thing for me is that Benning acquired him in the first place and people crapped on Jim for trading for him (nevermind the fact we paid less than what others were for lesser players at the TDL). Then they proceed to complain about how Benning can't find pro talent. Then people proceed to forget that a pandemic happened causing the cap to stay flat. They also forget that they were complaining about the defense all year and Benning was trying to address that.

On top of all of this, all this talk about Toffoli, they forget the fact that Montreal built a solid playoff roster that has allowed Toffoli to flourish. Toffoli just happens to be the right piece for them to get the job done at this moment in time, but he isn't the sole reason Montreal is where they're at (Price living up to his contract and a defense that is menacing and skilled are bigger factors IMO).

But hey let's squabble over the lowest common denominator in Benning/Toffoli and ignore everything else (didn't they also whine about losing Markstrom and Tanev as well, yet look how they fared).

Well said. If Toffoli hadn't gone on to have a career year in his late 20's we wouldn't be having this conversation, and I doubt he'd have had it here. Our season was a disaster, I'm not convinced he'd move the needle enough on his own to change that. 

Tofu was a rental that got us a memorable playoff run, and the young guys some legit playoff experience, that in itself made it worth it to me. But yeah, like you said, he's part of a well built Habs team who are lucky to be mostly healthy. Price is the biggest reason they've gotten as far as they have. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Awww, I love the Monday morning quarterbacks who love to bring up the old posts.  Of course you knew Toffoli was going to be a star in the playoffs and score the overtime winning goal right?  I mean it was so apparent when he only had those 2 assists how he was going to break out right after I posted my comments.

Can you tell me what the lotto numbers will be for Friday as well since you can predict the future?

Many of us were immediately upset when Tyler Toffoli signed with Montreal instead of the Canucks and posted about it here. It’s not a question of being a Monday morning quarterback because we knew he would make the Canadiens a better team and we were proved right. Good players do good things. Especially in the playoffs.

You on the other hand predicted that Montreal would lose to the Leafs specifically because of Toffoli’s poor play.  Not only did he lead them over the Leafs but he was one of their top performers against the Jets.

You appear to have blinders on when it comes to Toffoli which prevents you from seeing him in anything but a negative light.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Many of us were immediately upset when Tyler Toffoli signed with Montreal instead of the Canucks and posted about it here. It’s not a question of being a Monday morning quarterback because we knew he would make the Canadiens a better team and we were proved right. Good players do good things. Especially in the playoffs.

You on the other hand predicted that Montreal would lose to the Leafs specifically because of Toffoli’s poor play.  Not only did he lead them over the Leafs but he was one of their top performers against the Jets.

You appear to have blinders on when it comes to Toffoli which prevents you from seeing him in anything but a negative light.

There are people that are trying to convince themselves letting go for Toffoli was for the best. I am pretty sure they don't actually believe it but I just let them be. 

Its like when your buddy had a break up it's better not to argue with them if they are convinced the break up was a good thing.

• Haha 1

Just now, iinatcc said:

We try and hilarious stuff like Toffoli getting the OT winner happens :lol:

For sure....

After the World Championships the amount of people wishing we had kept Troy Stecher jumped about a billion percent....:lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

For sure....

After the World Championships the amount of people wishing we had kept Troy Stecher jumped about a billion percent....:lol:

Well the Stecher thing was a bit of a stretch (see what I did there) 

But Toffoli I can relate. Especially since Benning is probably going to try and acquired a Top 6 RW player again.

Im actually scared that Benning might start going for Corey Perry for Sutter money :emot-parrot:

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Grady's Ass is about as whiny a poster as there is regarding the Canucks.

Another thing we didn't know, Tyler wanted Jim to adopt him. But Jim ignored him, kicked him to the curb. And Jim laughed. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Hoglander - Horvat - ???

depends what you mean by "scoring line" for the 3rd. If you mean a group that can chip in from time to time but shut down other teams top lines then thats a different story. 

I don't see how we get a quality 3C and still afford TT. Just wasn't in the cards cap-wise.