The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With the Leafs loss to the Habs, guys like Rick Dhaliwal,Thomas Drance, JD Burke, 650 Sportsnet, and HF Canucks have received VERY huge blows

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

At this pt, they may's well tell Pajamas to stay home & pocket an LTIR cheque.

'Okay Save The Laffs Please'  Go have a gander at this thread(general hockey disc) that I started 2 yrs back. Many of us stated warnings back then, that you have highlighted did indeed play out.

A billion $ empire & they flushed it down the loo. Plenty of CDC posters would've done a better job than Kale Dubious. It's ludicrous.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

There’s a difference between disliking the Leafs (as the “pundits” in my subject heading do) and being a fan of the “Shanaplan” model (as “the pundits” in my subject heading are/were).

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I notice Dumb Nuck is not on here talking how great Toronto is, and how it's an example of a "proper" rebuild. 

That by design or just dumb luck?

edit: Oooh my personal stats both end in '67..lovely

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

There’s a difference between disliking the Leafs (as the “pundits” in my subject heading do) and being a fan of the “Shanaplan” model (as “the pundits” in my subject heading are/were).

A plan can be good in theory but poor in execution. 

Matthews contract is poor in term because he can bolt early in his eligibility & Marner is overpaid.

They made a lot of poor pro scouting decisions on the back end and in the bottom six (Zaitsev and Barrie among the most notable ones defensively). 

They rode out babcock for too long and the players hated him. Keefe OTOH was a rookie coach coming into a win-now situation which was a poor hire to make. I don't have an issue with a rookie coach growing with a group of players, but you can't bring one into a win-now situation.

So yes, lots of poor decisions. 

One thing to be careful with is that the Leafs failed because they've set a higher bar. Make no mistake, they've absolutely failed. The first two years, they weren't expected to win. The 3rd year was a 50/50 series and the last two should have been sweeps considering the roster differences. Underperforming stars - it happens. 

But, it's also a mistake to just simply look at a failing organization and be like "yeah we're better than them." For me, I want to be at the level of a team like Colorado, Tampa, Carolina etc.. Not the LOL Leafs. That doesn't take away that I think their plan in theory was better than the retool on the fly plan from this management group.

• Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Thanks to the loser point and a slog of a (usually) 82 game schedule... Playoff hockey is almost a different sport than regular season hockey. 

That’s a big hole in analytics - who love the big sample size - and base everything off of the regular season.  

There’s still a lot of room for upsets given different levels of effort, physicality and even refereeing we see in a playoff series.  

IMO I don’t have an issue with “analytics” - I like to check them out for the nhl and I use levels of “analytics” to inform my practice when coaching down to 11 year old basketball. It’s more the fans who pop off like they’re smarter than everyone else waving around a JFresh graph to “prove” their take is gospel.  More often than not, the graph just reiterates what we can see from more mundane stats or the eye test - and as a negative it just shuts down the discussion that a player or team may be having an off year for various circumstances (injuries, coaching, deployment, etc) and ignores the idea of improvement from year to year.

Agreed^^^^. 

I'm not a big fan of hockey analytics and fancy stats...aside from points you've raised in your post, great goaltending can foil the greatest set of books.  Recent examples: Demko vs. Knights (Canucks were so badly outplayed, but almost won), Canucks of 2019-20 behind Marky's goaltending, and now Price vs. the Leafs.

Sorry @oldnews...I know how much you love your in depth analysis and enjoy reading your interpretation of the analytics, but hockey is just too fluid of a game with too many uncontrolled variables that I think it's hard to apply quantitative data with any precision.

I sure am happy the Leafs got knocked out.  Felt a little bad for Marner, but I got over that real quick.  Feel really bad for Campbell (sincerely).

• Cheers 1

TO's defence + goalie was worse then Mtl D + goalie I don't think it's rocket science. Really the TO Defence is likely on par with Vcr defence and their goaltending worse.

Isle beat Boston and Scott Mayfield looking good

Edited by Fred65
  • Upvote 1