The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With the Leafs loss to the Habs, guys like Rick Dhaliwal,Thomas Drance, JD Burke, 650 Sportsnet, and HF Canucks have received VERY huge blows

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I do find it hilarious that certain posters are just making hilarious excuses.

Their "philosophy" is spot on, huh? Have two players making 10M+ and they only have 1 goal between the two of them? Riiiiiiiiiight.

Their team isn't any better built than Vancouver's. They had a good season, that's for sure. But they also didn't have COVID running through our team. They also didn't have a poor practice schedule. My point with this is that their 'success' for their rebuild has been vastly overstated.

Analytics is what I'm talking about.  You know, the thing our management pushes aside for "meat and potatoes" players.

Hope this helps.

• RoughGame 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Leafs haven’t won a playoff round since 2003. The Canucks have won 8 during that same period and went to the finals. The two teams are trending in completely different directions. 

The Leafs have been rebuilding for the better part of 17 years. Waiting an extra year or two for Benning to do his thing after 7 years doesn’t seem so bad after all. 

At the very least Benning can shed cap next year and retool for 2022. Dubas meanwhile will be stuck with albatross contracts for several more years and most likely will lose his best player for nothing to Arizona in 3 years. 

The Leafs are an unmitigated disaster. That’s what happens when your owner is a Pension Plan. 

The Leafs have not been rebuilding for 17 years. For a huge chunk of that time they were similar to the Benning Canucks by attempting annual retools by adding veterans. 

The Leafs are a disaster for sure. But that doesnt mean any other team is or isnt.

The Leafs may choke in the playoffs but they have been trending up. The Canucks have been trending down for several years. Its far too early to suggest the Canucks are trending up. We hope so but nothing on the ice is tgere to support that yet. 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Analytics is what I'm talking about.  You know, the thing our management pushes aside for "meat and potatoes" players.

Hope this helps.

You do realize that the Canucks hired Ryan Biech in 2019 right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-add-video-analyst-ryan-biech-to-scouting-and-analytics-stable/wcm/544ecbab-e11a-46a6-9dcf-13c849f115c9/amp/

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Leafs may have not technically been rebuilding since 2003 but at the end of the day that’s what it really amounts to. Meanwhile the Canucks during that same time frame built 2 Stanley Cup contenders with 2 completely different teams, the WestCoast Express team and the Sedin team.

The Canucks have been to the finals 3 times since 1982. The Leafs haven’t been in the finals since 1967. 

Like I said the teams have trended in completely different directions and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. There really isn’t any reason to have hope right now if you are a Leafs fan. It’s only going to get worse from here on out. 

This isn't true.

• RoughGame 1

47 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Or to put it differently would you rather have 2 MacKinnon's or 1 McJesus?

Mathews $11,640,250

Tavares   $11,000,000

JT Miller    $5,250,000

Bo Horvat $5,500,000

Brock        $5,875,000      Leaves $6,015,250 to sign Peterson and get 4 for the price of 2.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Leafs may have not technically been rebuilding since 2003 but at the end of the day that’s what it really amounts to. Meanwhile the Canucks during that same time frame built 2 Stanley Cup contenders with 2 completely different teams, the WestCoast Express team and the Sedin team.

The Canucks have been to the finals 3 times since 1982. The Leafs haven’t been in the finals since 1967. 

Like I said the teams have trended in completely different directions and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. There really isn’t any reason to have hope right now if you are a Leafs fan. It’s only going to get worse from here on out. 

I am no Leafs fan. Their team is a train wreck. It may get worse from here on out. But its not accurate to say they have been rebuilding for that long, especially just to try to suggest the Canucks are on a faster schedule and therefore further ahead. They arent. The actual Leafs rebuild hasnt been going on for all that long and despite the playoff choking, they have trended up and been in the top tier of regular season teams for a few years.

At the end of the day, what did the Canucks of the WCE or Sedin era really achieve that was much more than regular season success? One trip to the cup final which was awesome. But a lot of playoff choking both before and after that run. They accomplished nothing else when it mattered. 

Lets at least be fair about it. We should all take joy in Toronto's struggles and I certainly do. But it doesnt mean the Canucks are rebuilding better or are further along or are trending up. They arent at this point as the results show.

The Canucks have been a bottom feeding team for pretty much all of Bennings tenure. Going from a cup contending team to a perpetual bottom feeder is not really trending up. They could next year or the year after for sure. But they arent right now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Well, I would never defend the Leafs but we all know that if you make the playoffs everything resets for the second season. Maybe they lose this year and learn from it next.

Maybe the Canucks make a run for their money next season. Who knows but the key is to make the playoffs and the Leafs at least did that. 

Just saying because I wouldn't go all in in calling them failures but yes, they have many flaws in their plans.

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What exactly isn’t true?  That’s the Laffs haven’t made the finals since 1967 while the Canucks have done it 3 times since 1982?  

The Laffs are the laughing stock of the NHL. Have been for the better part of 20 years. Even their own fans are turning against them. I hear they are flying a “Fire Dubas” banner over the City tomorrow. 

Hope this helps. 

No banner for shanahan? I mean even ‘our’ media said shanaplan is the way

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

The funny thing about the Leafs is that they probably would have been better off avoiding Tavares altogether.   

Committing to depth players like JVR, Bozak, and Kadri, would not only have given the team more depth but also wouldn’t have blown the lid off the internal cap.  Guys like Nylander, Marner, Matthews, etc., would have been far more likely to take friendlier cap deals in order to “build a winner and serve the greater good” (a la LA, Chicago, Boston, etc.)

Cost controlled elite talent + depth = championships has been the model since 2010 Chicago.

Kadri would have gotten himself suspended tho LOL..

The Leafs have actually managed to put a pretty decent support group in place considering their huge albatross contracts at the top of their forward group.

Let me give you a different perspective. 

If your top forward is making 6 million (and sitting in the press box but lets leave that one lol), your top dman is making 6 mil, your two best players are still on ELC, and your other top 6 players and young goalie are on very good cap hits, wouldnt you think that theoretically that GM should actually have a much easier time putting together a supporting cast than a team with 3 or 4 forwards with 10 mil or so cap hits?

I dislike the Leafs and think Dubas is a punk, but you cant deny that despite it being very costly in trades, etc, he has done as good a job as anyone could expect surrounding that core group.

Of course its still kind of overall garbage. But if you look at what he built with the constraints he inposed on himself, I have to begrudgingly give the guy some credit.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Toronto's defense is nowhere near as good as Vancouver's.  We have guys in the AHL who are better than any of their guys not named Muzzin or Brodie, and their highest paid guy refuses to even try to learn how to play defense.

No we don't. 

I know you strongly dislike Rielly but you consistently underestimate him significantly. He is a better defensive player than Quinn Hughes and its not particularly close. Thats just reality. 

Vancouvers defense theoretically could be better than Toronto's, but the sum of the parts doesnt add up to that right now. Maybe if they change the defensive systems and style. But at this point the Canucks are one of if not the worst defending team in the NHL.

• Cheers 1

The neatest thing is that Montreal rounded out its lineup with some reasonably priced - experienced players, especially that player called "Tyler Toffoli".  He not only led their team in points in the regular season with 44 points in 52 games but leads them in playoff points too at 5 in 7 games.   I'm sure our brilliant GM would love to find a guy like that instead of say a marginal player like hmmm, Lazy Jake at just $1.5M less.   Maybe Uncle Jim can show his apparent wisdom in the off season again and pick up a player like TT.

Oh, yea he did already.........................and let him walk away (After giving up a 2nd round pick too!!!!)

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

The neatest thing is that Montreal rounded out its lineup with some reasonably priced - experienced players, especially that player called "Tyler Toffoli".  He not only led their team in points in the regular season with 44 points in 52 games but leads them in playoff points too at 5 in 7 games.   I'm sure our brilliant GM would love to find a guy like that instead of say a marginal player like hmmm, Lazy Jake at just $1.5M less.   Maybe Uncle Jim can show his apparent wisdom in the off season again and pick up a player like TT.

Oh, yea he did already.........................and let him walk away (After giving up a 2nd round pick too!!!!)

Hope that helped...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

A plan can be good in theory but poor in execution. 

Any plan is only as good as the result of its execution. If the execution fails - the plan wasn’t good. Just ask Karl Marx.

• Cheers 1