The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Naomi Osaka's stand on Press conferences.

Rate this topic

I think she should stand on top every sports reporter and just stomp all over them. The media is a joke, with no brains, and not even a good punchline. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2

As a tennis fan, I want to see the best tennis - so if somebody has anxiety disorder, then I want the Tour to adjust. I didn't like how some in the media portrayed her stance. A lot of them reported it in a way that gave a lot of room for non-fans to think that she was being a prima-donna and completely anti-press. When you read her comments, she was just asking for more sensitivity from some of the press. Ironically, the French Tennis Federation didn't want to answer questions after briefly addressing Naomi Osaka's withdrawal: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/french-open-2021-tennis-president-gilles-moretton-naomi-osaka-statement-235905831.html

• Hydration 2

Good for her. The fact that she's willing to leave the tournament hopefully will convince the tour, media and fans that she's serious about this and not being a primadonna. 

This isn't a Marshawn Lynch situation where he just didn't like the media. She has a bonafide health issue. It's serious enough for her to withdraw and lose the points towards her ranking and potentially angering her sponsors.

Some things are more important than a game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think she should stand on top every sports reporter and just stomp all over them. The media is a joke, with no brains, and not even a good punchline. 

I noted that both Nadal and Ash Barty-world number 1womens player -defended the press saying they contributed to the athletes profile.

While that is true the athletes certainly do not need the press while the press certainly needs the athletes.

While there are some good sports reporters out there a lot of them are just hacks trying for a headline/clickbait.

• Hydration 2
16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I like this lass..good for her. These indiv sports can be tough on the top players.

Totally agree with you brother on both accounts.

• Hydration 2
19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Good for her. The fact that she's willing to leave the tournament hopefully will convince the tour, media and fans that she's serious about this and not being a primadonna. 

This isn't a Marshawn Lynch situation where he just didn't like the media. She has a bonafide health issue. It's serious enough for her to withdraw and lose the points towards her ranking and potentially angering her sponsors.

Some things are more important than a game.

The most important thing to any person is staying true to oneself.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Pressers should be optional.  Media asking the dumbass questions all watched the matches...why do they need to ask the obvious questions that everyone knows the answers to and probe into what an athlete is thinking at any given point in time?

Good on Naomi Osaka for telling the WTA/French Open Organizers/sponsors to go phuck themselves by withdrawing.  Glad she's taking care of herself...I hope more athletes do what she did.

As much as I enjoyed watching the Leafs and Oilers get knocked out, I honestly felt bad for McDavid, Marner, Campbell, etc. for having to answer the stupid questions the hockey media asks. 

And as much hate as Tortorella receives, his answers of "you saw the game.  I'm not going to dissect it for you.  You can figure it out yourself" is the exact way I would answer if asked the questions from the dumbass media.  I loved it when Gillis implied Marjanovich was a fat glutton who couldn't control himself at the buffet table when Gillis was on the air with him.

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

I think some folks here aren't quite grasping what it means for her to withdraw from RG because of this.  To withdraw from a grand slam for any reason beyond injury is a huge thing.  To do it because she felt overwhelmed by the pressure and negativity is... disheartening.

"Good for her"  doesn't really capture what happened.  This is someone who crumpled under the public pressure and the hate directed at her.  Osaka is the biggest star in women's tennis, and she is also the shiest player in sports.  She wanted more privacy so she focus playing in a huge tournament she has always struggled in.  What played out was a PR disaster where it was Osaka vs. the world.  Some of it falls on her, and some athletes love feeding off the hate, but this is the saddest outcome.  She got bullied into quitting.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
31 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I think some folks here aren't quite grasping what it means for her to withdraw from RG because of this.  To withdraw from a grand slam for any reason beyond injury is a huge thing.  To do it because she felt overwhelmed by the pressure and negativity is... disheartening.

"Good for her"  doesn't really capture what happened.  This is someone who crumpled under the public pressure and the hate directed at her.  Osaka is the biggest star in women's tennis, and she is also the shiest player in sports.  She wanted more privacy so she focus playing in a huge tournament she has always struggled in.  What played out was a PR disaster where it was Osaka vs. the world.  Some of it falls on her, and some athletes love feeding off the hate, but this is the saddest outcome.  She got bullied into quitting.

I don't know about Osaka v world,she does have a lot of support from her fans.

As rawkdrummer asks in the post above yours"why don't her peers back her up" is a very pertinent question.

I also don't know if you can say she crumpled.

After reading her statement I would say she is taking a stand.

I do agree that the organisers did try to bully her and that is something they have to live with.

I fully support the decision she made to put her mental health first.  I find it disheartening that there is so much "media" about taking care of one's mental health blah blah blah but when someone who is struggling actually tries to do that, the organization that should be front and centre in supporting that person (tennis federations) slams the person and calls them out for their actions.  

I'm sad that I haven't seen any of her peers visibly supporting her choices.  I'm sure that many of them have felt similarly and if they banded together real change might occur.  

There was a Seahawk a few years ago that basically refused to take part in media interviews, his answer to every question was something like "I'm only here because I have to be".  We've all watched endless examples of media interviews where the questions border on stupidity, could be considered bullying or hurtful and yet players are expected to subject themselves to that.  At least in team sports the team has some control over how/who gets subjected to those interviews.  In an individual sport it's the player against the world, not sure how much assistance an agent can provide.  

It is a shame to see a talent like her withdraw from competition to avoid the media circus.  It would be a huge loss to the sport as she is such a strong player and an individual that is bringing some much needed attention to the sport.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

this is why so many athletes give one word or boilerplate answers at press conferences. Say the minimum and get the hell out, seems to be the strategy and I don't blame them one bit, most of the media are scum. 

• Hydration 2

IMHO ones health and safety are more important than anything else. Period. At the same time we don't have to criticize the media for doing their job, some with greater sensitivety than others.

Someone on telly said something like.. 'the problem is, what stops all the players from skipping out on doing press for personal reasons?  It's part of the job"

I considered his point for a spilt second, then wait...there would still be tennis. Why the F do we need to know the players personality or insights? I mean, it's nice but not the reason we watch sports.

Leave these people alone. The ones that want to be more in the public eye and use their platform to get sponsors, make more money, spread influence, good for them. However, it should not be mandatory. 
As a sports fan it would also be kinda cool to have some mystery about some of the athletes in this age of too much information. 

• Hydration 1
Posted (edited)

I am lucky in that I feel no anxiety and have traded currencies and been an analyst for a commodities broker as well I lived for 3 years just from playing poker. So have experience in high stress environments. However, I have had depression issues. I appreciate her decision but frankly if you're a professional athlete it is part of the job. I dislike the over saturation and all encompassing media but a post match interview is the gig. Either get on board or face the consequences. She did and I respect it. 

Edited by Gnarcore