The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Naomi Osaka's stand on Press conferences.

Rate this topic

Ilunga

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

'the problem is, what stops all the players from skipping out on doing press for personal reasons? 

Raonic, withdraws because of a sore knee, what stops all the players from skipping the match?

Maybe it's the fact they don't all have sore knees?:unsure:

Her sister (older by about a year) was a pro in the women's circuit as well, but just retired this year.  She purportedly had something further to say about this.  I wouldn't be surprised if the media was part of the reason why she retired from the tennis circuit.

Spoiler

‘I f***ed up’: Naomi Osaka’s sister backtracks after revealing reason behind French Open boycott

Fox Sports with AFP from Fox Sports
May 31st, 2021 10:26 am

Mari Osaka, sister of Naomi, took to Reddit to give some context to the tennis star’s decision to boycott press conferences at the French Open - and then deleted the post before admitting in a later one that she “f***ed up”.

Osaka was on Sunday threatened with disqualification from the French Open if she persists with her controversial media boycott, officials said.

The 23-year-old had said on the eve of the tournament that she would not carry out any media obligations, claiming news conferences are detrimental to her mental health.

She likened traditional post-match inquests to “kicking people when they’re down”.

Now Osaka’s sister has provided further insight into the tennis superstar’s thinking and motivations behind the move in a since-deleted Reddit post.

Prominent tennis writer Ben Rothenberg confirmed with Osaka’s team that the post is from the older sister.

“At every press conference she’s told she’s has a bad record on clay. When she lost in Rome r1 she was not ok mentally. Her confidence was completely shattered and I think that everyone’s remarks and opinions have gotten to her head and she herself believed that she was bad on clay.

“This isn’t true and she knows that in order to do well and have a shot at winning Roland Garros she will have to believe that she can. That’s the first step any athlete needs to do, believe in themselves.

“So her solution was to block everything out. No talking to people who is going to put doubt in her mind. She’s protecting her mind hence why it’s called mental health. So many people are picky on this term thinking you need to have depression or have some sort of disorder to be able to use the term mental health.

“I don’t know what she is going to do in the future when the tournament pushes back and threatens to default her but I fully support my sister’s actions because she’s just trying to do what’s best for her. Tennis players don’t get paid to do press conferences. They only get paid when they win matches.

“There is the argument that she can afford to skip while others can’t. What if they want to and she’s setting precedent so that they can in the future if wanted? When I lost my one wta match where I had to do a press conference afterwards I broke down in the room unfortunately and then saw headlines after of me, crying. It was embarrassing and it’s forced on players. Some can take it and some struggle with it.”

Various tennis players have reacted to Osaka’s boycott.

Rafael Nadal, the 13-time French Open champion, said that even though he respected Osaka’s decision, media coverage has driven the success of the sport.

“I understand her, but for me without the press, without the people who are writing the news and achievements that we are having around the world probably we will not be the athletes that we are today,” said Nadal, a 20-time major winner.

“We won’t have the recognition that we have around the world, and we will not be that popular.”

The 23-year-old’s closest rival and 2019 French Open winner Ashleigh Barty said carrying out media duties is part and parcel of the job.

“We know what we sign up for as professional tennis players,” the 25-year-old Australian said.

“I can’t really comment on what Naomi is feeling or her decisions she makes. At times press conferences are hard of course but it’s also not something that bothers me.

“I’ve never had problems answering questions. It’s not something that’s ever fazed me too much.

“And it certainly doesn’t keep me up at night what I say and hear or what you guys ask me.”

Mari then took to Reddit again, claiming she had “f***ed up” in her initial explanation of her sister’s mental health issues.

“Ok so I f***ed up,” she wrote.

“My words are coming across so horribly to a lot of people who think taking care of mental health is strategic. I didn’t emphasize the fact that Naomi is dealing with a ton of $&!# and honestly fighting for the care of mental health in my post so now a lot of people are taking it as “She doesn’t want to hear critisim” [sic] I’m sorry Naomi I probably made the situation worse.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/french-open-2021-naomi-osaka-media-boycott-mari-osaka-reddit-post-clay-court-struggles-press-conferences/news-story/a374f53179f30f2c66cb061212e527dd

A bit more on Mari Osaka's reasons for retirement from professional tennis:

Spoiler

Mari Osaka, Naomi's Sister, Announces Retirement from Tennis at 24, Says She 'Didn't Enjoy' Journey

Mari Osaka is currently ranked No. 335 in the world and was once ranked as high as No. 280 in 2018

By Georgia Slater
March 11, 2021 12:43 PM

Naomi Osaka and Mari Osaka
CREDIT: AFLO/SHUTTERSTOCK

Mari Osaka, the older sister of tennis champion Naomi Osaka, has announced that she's walking away from the sport.

On Tuesday, Mari, 24, shared on Instagram that she has retired from tennis, noting that her career was a "journey which [she] didn't enjoy."

"I am retired from playing tennis. It was a journey which I didn't enjoy ultimately but I'm grateful for all the memories and support I've gained and received over the years from the sport," Mari wrote alongside a photo of an open ocean.

"I'm moving on now so you can look forward to new fun projects upcoming in the future," she added.

Naomi's boyfriend Cordae replied to the post, writing "Prada u "

According to Sports Illustrated, Mari is currently ranked No. 335 in the world among women's players in the sport. In the spring of 2018, she reached her highest ranking at No. 280.

Mari played the majority of her career on the lower-tier ITF circuit. She only played one match in January 2021, losing in the first round of qualifiers for an ITF event.

The first time she and Naomi were both in the main draw at a WTA-level event was in March 2019, when the two competed in the Miami Open.

Naomi, 23, has previously discussed her sister's tennis skills, sharing that Mari always beat her in matches when they were younger.

"Up until I was 15 she was 6-0-ing me, ridiculous," Naomi told The New York Times in a March 2019 interview.

"I don't know what happened, maybe finally something clicked in my head, but for sure she was beating me," Naomi said. "In the win-loss record, she's up by like a million or something."

The sisters still have a tight-knit relationship, so much so that Naomi teased Mari on national television during the Australian Open last month.

Following her major triumph over Serena Williams in the Australian Open women's singles semifinals, Naomi surprised fans with an interesting message to her sister as she left the court.

After sharing a hug with Williams, Naomi walked over to the camera to write a note on the lens for the viewers at home. The four-time Grand Slam champion used the opportunity to call out her older sister for her "weird" text messages.

"Mari, stop sending weird images in the groupchat!" the athlete wrote.

https://people.com/sports/naomi-osaka-sister-mari-announces-retirement-from-tennis/

• Thanks 2

Any of your teachers let you do oral presentations after class?  I didn't get that luxury.  What caused my anxiety was the fear of the unknown, a few presentations later and that anxiety disappeared.  Her coach and the rest of her team should be helping her out during these interviews.  If not just fine her, I am sure it's like us getting a 5 dollar fine.  

At the end of the day I really don't care but you have to know what you're getting into here.  And when people like Nadal, who far more decorated as a tennis pro, says it's part of the game and helps drum up popularity for the sport I am going to side with them.

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I don't know about Osaka v world,she does have a lot of support from her fans.

As rawkdrummer asks in the post above yours"why don't her peers back her up" is a very pertinent question.

I also don't know if you can say she crumpled.

After reading her statement I would say she is taking a stand.

I do agree that the organisers did try to bully her and that is something they have to live with.

I might've exaggerated that a bit there.  It was her against the tennis world.  Tournament officials, players (including her friends), media, and neutral tennis fans turned on her hard.

I'd chalk some of it up to her original IG post that kicked the whole storm off.  It was poorly worded and seemed to speak for all players.  That forced all the players to actually craft a response, and suddenly Naomi was left without many allies.  She is one of the shiest players on tour and probably one of the most shiest athletes in the world.  She has an unfiltered, honest candor to her interviews that makes her adorable in the eyes of many.  But it's still probably hard for her to make friends, and it was clearly a challenge for her to get her words out in front of the media.  This is just my take on things, of course.  But there was an insane amount of drama that played out (a whole reddit fiasco with her sister).

Now here's where we will have to agree to disagree.  Where you see defiance (in her withdrawal announcement) I see capitulation.  It's a dignified defeat to be sure (Osaka kinda sucks on clay), but she did get bullied into this.  Osaka wasn't just bluffing, she has probably suffered one of the most miserable weeks of her life, and this has left a massive stain on tennis.  We have now lost the face of women's tennis for an indefinite period of time.  I suspect she will now also skip Wimbledon at the end of this month.

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Any of your teachers let you do oral presentations after class?  I didn't get that luxury.  What caused my anxiety was the fear of the unknown, a few presentations later and that anxiety disappeared.  Her coach and the rest of her team should be helping her out during these interviews.  If not just fine her, I am sure it's like us getting a 5 dollar fine.  

At the end of the day I really don't care but you have to know what you're getting into here.  And when people like Nadal, who far more decorated as a tennis pro, says it's part of the game and helps drum up popularity for the sport I am going to side with them.

This is probably the worst take here so far.  What really happened couldn't be further from the truth.  The tournament officials were throwing shade at her once the tournament started and straight up threatened to boot her out if she kept skipping.  That's how controversial this became.

You are also trivializing mental health.  She is suffering from depression.  You can't just have a "quick recovery" as the tournament president wished Osaka yesterday.

• Like 1

My sister was a great middle distance runner when she was a teen. My Dad was her coach. But he went overboard on the pressure. She backed out of the provincial finals. 

I'm sure she would have done great, but she couldn't deal with it. It wasn't until years later she went back into running for her own enjoyment. She had to let the past go. 

She fell in love it again. Now in her mid sixties, her knees can't handle the stress anymore. And she's gutted she can't run anymore. She can walk no problem and cycle. 

But it's a part of her life she didn't want to lose. 

• Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I might've exaggerated that a bit there.  It was her against the tennis world.  Tournament officials, players (including her friends), media, and neutral tennis fans turned on her hard.

I'd chalk some of it up to her original IG post that kicked the whole storm off.  It was poorly worded and seemed to speak for all players.  That forced all the players to actually craft a response, and suddenly Naomi was left without many allies.  She is one of the shiest players on tour and probably one of the most shiest athletes in the world.  She has an unfiltered, honest candor to her interviews that makes her adorable in the eyes of many.  But it's still probably hard for her to make friends, and it was clearly a challenge for her to get her words out in front of the media.  This is just my take on things, of course.  But there was an insane amount of drama that played out (a whole reddit fiasco with her sister).

Now here's where we will have to agree to disagree.  Where you see defiance (in her withdrawal announcement) I see capitulation.  It's a dignified defeat to be sure (Osaka kinda sucks on clay), but she did get bullied into this.  Osaka wasn't just bluffing, she has probably suffered one of the most miserable weeks of her life, and this has left a massive stain on tennis.  We have now lost the face of women's tennis for an indefinite period of time.  I suspect she will now also skip Wimbledon at the end of this month.

This is probably the worst take here so far.  What really happened couldn't be further from the truth.  The tournament officials were throwing shade at her once the tournament started and straight up threatened to boot her out if she kept skipping.  That's how controversial this became.

You are also trivializing mental health.  She is suffering from depression.  You can't just have a "quick recovery" as the tournament president wished Osaka yesterday.

Then don't do something that garners so much attention.  I am sorry what does she want?  No media, no cameras on her?  That's not going to happen.  What I read is she has trouble on clay, so what if reporters ask her about that?  

Lots of athletes have trouble speaking, go look at any interview Sydney Crosby did in his rookie year, you could barely understand him.   He's more than comfortable in front of the mic now.Is she really suffering from depression or just playing that card?  If she is then the last place she should be is on tour.

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Then don't do something that garners so much attention.  I am sorry what does she want?  No media, no cameras on her?  That's not going to happen.  What I read is she has trouble on clay, so what if reporters ask her about that?  

Lots of athletes have trouble speaking, go look at any interview Sydney Crosby did in his rookie year, you could barely understand him.   He's more than comfortable in front of the mic now.  Is she really suffering from depression or just playing that card?  If she is then the last place she should be is on tour.

Way to sidestep my response.  Osaka was essentially being forced to attend press conferences or risk defaulting from the tournament.  Imagine if an NHL player was threatened with suspension because he refused to do pressers.  That's the stance Roland Garros took.  You don't have to agree with her actions, but you have to admit that kicking her out over this was ridiculous and bullying.

It also sounds like you've never watched her play or speak.  You have no idea how good and how shy Osaka is as a person and as a player.  So why are you so quick to pass judgment?  This is some gaslighting nonsense where someone tells you they're depressed and you're basically saying "no you're not".  She withdrew from the tournament, man.  She is NOT bluffing.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I guess this just raises the questions...

Should athletes have to speak to the media/public?

I know people claim it is 'part of the job', but should it be?

...if so, why? 

As far as I am concerned there are only four things one HAS to do in life

Breathe,Eat,$#@$ and treat others the way you want to be treated.

Seriously,no.

Why should an any person be forced to do something they don't want to do.

These athletes don't owe us,their fans,or the media anything.

Like all groups of people there are extra-verts and intra-verts and those inbetween.

If they want to volunteer insights into themselves and their "game",great that's fine.

If not respect the desire for privacy as you would expect others to do if that was how you feel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The mental stress the younger generations are going through is unlike the past. Phones, social media, pandemic etc all contribute to mental stress in ways we can't even fully understand.

Hoping she fights through this comes back stronger cause she's a hell of a tennis player! 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Speaking of Osaka, Serena loses at the French open today...

...Naomi has too much class to enjoy the news, but I don't....:towel:

Is there beef there? I have a very low opinion of Serena sportsmanship wise. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Is there beef there? I have a very low opinion of Serena sportsmanship wise. 

Osaka's first major win was the US Open against Serena. This was the tournament where SW was docked a point because her coach was signaling from the press box. She turned the whole thing into a rant about sexism and even racism, totally spoiling what should have been the biggest day of Osaka's career.

I previously cheered against Serena for her treatment of line judges, but that performance cemented it for me. I celebrate every time she loses.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 4:49 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

Way to sidestep my response.  Osaka was essentially being forced to attend press conferences or risk defaulting from the tournament.  Imagine if an NHL player was threatened with suspension because he refused to do pressers.  That's the stance Roland Garros took.  You don't have to agree with her actions, but you have to admit that kicking her out over this was ridiculous and bullying.

It also sounds like you've never watched her play or speak.  You have no idea how good and how shy Osaka is as a person and as a player.  So why are you so quick to pass judgment?  This is some gaslighting nonsense where someone tells you they're depressed and you're basically saying "no you're not".  She withdrew from the tournament, man.  She is NOT bluffing.

I don't follow tennis but I would think the way the NHL handles these things (and some of the other major sports like the NFL)  is to limit the punishment to 'cash fines' rather than going to 'defcon 1' would be the way tennis should go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 5:43 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't follow tennis but I would think the way the NHL handles these things (and some of the other major sports like the NFL)  is to limit the punishment to 'cash fines' rather than going to 'defcon 1' would be the way tennis should go.

Even negotiate a larger fine where it's donated to a metal health related charity would be reasonable.

• Hydration 1