The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] NHL Draft Lottery, June 2nd @ 4 pm on Sportsnet

Rate this topic

I for one don't mind not winning thr lottery. Top picks generally tend to have massive second contracts and can take up a major portion of a team's cap space. At around our number, you can still find quality players and generally have more of a deep, balanced and more cap friendly team. I feel you can stay competitive longer due to thr fact that these players tend to need more time to marinate and take a bit longer to reach their peak, hence are cheaper for the earlier portions of their career.

Our captain was picked 9th as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I kinda had a feeling we were gonna select 2nd overall.

Just based on the fact that it’s 22 years since we selected number 22 Daniel 2nd overall.

Other than that I was just hoping to keep 9th.

Just now, .Naslund said:

I for one don't mind not winning thr lottery. Top picks generally tend to have massive second contracts and can take up a major portion of a team's cap space. At around our number, you can still find quality players and generally have more of a deep, balanced and more cap friendly team. I feel you can stay competitive longer due to thr fact that these players tend to need more time to marinate and take a bit longer to reach their peak, hence are cheaper for the earlier portions of their career.

I also want to be the team that didn’t need a lottery pick to win the cup. 

• Vintage 1
Just now, .Naslund said:

I mean the positive outlook is welcome, but any team would be foolish not to want the lottery win. Regardless of whether you can aford them on their second contract or not, that's a valuable asset any way you look at it whether they play or you trade them.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

I’ll admit that I haven’t seen many of the prospect play but Kent Johnson seems to be the guy that I wouldn’t mind seeing.   

He seems like he is a very fast and creative two way player that can play both center and LW.  

Carson Lambos is another guy that I really like and I’m a little surprised that he’s not projected to go higher.  Perhaps I’m missing something here?

I’m not sure I’m sold on Mason McTavish in terms of his skating.

Edited by Patel Bure
8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Edmonton, New Jersey, and Buffalo have had 8 of the last 12 first overall picks. 

And 0 Cup.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, .Naslund said:

Awesome way of thinking about it.  This Draft has no clear #1 or #2 and so on. It's anyone from Power to Clarke to Beniers to Hughes... VAN is in a great spot and never dropped. This is a win!!!

• Hydration 1
11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Gifted isn’t accurate. It’s not like they jumped up a ton of spots to get any of those firsts.  They’re a bad team who have languished at the bottom of the standings 

Yeah due to being run like ****.

They've had some amazing players and keep getting rewarded for being incompetent.

What have we had gifted to us?  

Aatu Raty is going to be an interesting choice that could be available at 9th.

If he continues his decline in play and interest in hockey, he could be the biggest bust of this draft.
But if he regains his form from a little over a year ago when he was projected to go 1st, he could be another Canucks draft steal.

I’m hoping to see McTavish and Wallstedt get picked ahead of us. Would mean a more favorable player dropping to our spot. It’s too bad there isn’t a rhd other than Clarke that’s solidified in the top 10. We need it desperately. 

I think what we need the most is a RHD with wheels and a high hockey IQ. Bonus if he comes with a decent size too.

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

Yeah due to being run like ****.

They've had some amazing players and keep getting rewarded for being incompetent.

What have we had gifted to us?  

PAIN

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Buffalo can go draft the exact duplicate of Dahlin lol 

They really don’t need him.

I mean sure you can always use two elite defensemen, but only one guy can run a powerplay.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sabres trade down or take Beniers. They’re gonna need a center to replace Eichel (who I think has made it clear he wants out)

This is a great spot to be in. Let the other 8 gms sweat bullets having to make the picks and then we let the best player fall into our lap.

Whoever we take will have some real good supporting cast around him. And able to relate well with our young core.
Nobody else ahead of us have their new young core in the key positions like we do already playing. Factor in ALL bad contracts are gone in and the end of next year... money money.

What we DONT want to do is trade the pick PLUS more draft picks and young players for someone like seth jones, who has one year left and will be looking for that age 26/27 UFA major long term high dollar deal. That doesn't sit will with the position we are in at all.

We keep the pick and now we have this kid for 3 years on a ELC, ( assuming he has a boeser comparable couple season ) he will get another 3 year deal around the 5-6m on a bridge just like EP and huggy about to get. At that point this kid will be between 25-27 and at that point we decide if hes a big part of the group to earn the high dollar long term deal, or are we in a position where his services for his asking price just doesnt make sense for us. So we then flip that players for the big package to restock our cupboards again.

This is the cycle you need to be in if you want a yearly competitive team. Not finishing at the bottom of the league and flipping top 10 picks for guys halfway through their prime.