The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Karel Plasek

17 minutes ago, PuckFather said:

He is the one who said Canucks should follow Leafs success formula. He worships Dobie. :emot-parrot:

Yup our trolls are more butthurt now that their real teams are getting bounced out of the playoffs. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Good signing, we need guys like Plasek in the minors. Hope to see Persson sign after a season in the Dub.

Costmar and Karlsson should get deals done, I think they would play well in the minors.

Hopefully we see him play well in Abbotsford.

Costmar I don’t get the hype. Seems a decent player but I see his ceiling topping out as a solid AHL player. 

I place him in the group of players people hype up and pencil into lineups who never really crack the line up. Rafferty is in that group as well

6 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Hopefully we see him play well in Abbotsford.

Costmar I don’t get the hype. Seems a decent player but I see his ceiling topping out as a solid AHL player. 

I place him in the group of players people hype up and pencil into lineups who never really crack the line up. Rafferty is in that group as well

I dunno, he was one of Sewden's best players at the WJHC

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I dunno, he was one of Sewden's best players at the WJHC

He took his chance when he got it due to COVID taking out players above him otherwise he wouldn’t have made the team. I’m pretty sure we saw peak Costmar. I think he can carve out a career in the AHL if he wants to but I just don’t see enough there to say he will develop enough to crack an NHL roster 

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Can I respectfully ask something? Is this like...a bit, or a character you play online? I swear you are often just negative for the sake of being negative. Even in the reply post you mentioned you aren't saying that he won't be a good player. How is someone celebrating a player well drafted, and getting a contract out of later round draft pick worth a full post with a condescending gif? No one is posting saying he's going to make the team our of camp or anything. All I saw was someone expressing excitement over the fact that the 2019 draft is shaping up really well for us.

I just can't tell of you honestly hate this management so much that you feel the need to be rude online to vent, or if it's just a part you play on the ecosystem of CDC. I'm genuinely curious.

Celebrating a signing is something like "Cool,, look forward to him developing and seeing what we have", not "wow, another homerun from Benning and his scouts".  The latter is meant to push a false narrative, and frankly, a tired narrative, that we've already seen plenty of times before, most recently with Adam Gaudette.

But I'm sure you already knew that.

[signature redacted]

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That Leaf’s loss still has me giddy; I’m giggling at everything!  That guy’s face is funny.  :frantic:

(Yes, it’s the booze too.) 

Same.  I never watch Toronto trash hockey talk shows - but today I'm all over it lol.

Listening to Dreger and the Overdrive homerz apologize for and rationalize that loss - is priceless.  They're dumbfounded - think they did all the right things....it's music.  I hope this remains their disposition - nothing will change in Toronto.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

2019 draft pick in the 6th round. Benning and his European scouts have hit it out of the park again. Thought to have high hockey IQ and good skating. Czech player who represented his country, and even was voted MVP in one game of a tournament.

Do you remember how many players the Canucks (and every other team) have drafted who were thought to have those attributes but didnt amount to anything at the NHL level?

It might be a bit too early to proclaim this guy a homerun, don't you think?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Do you remember how many players the Canucks (and every other team) have drafted who were thought to have those attributes but didnt amount to anything at the NHL level?

Bloop single?  

• Haha 1

6th round pick signs a contract but hey let’s take a heaping steamy dump on the thread. 

I honestly know nothing about this guy but what I do know is you can’t judge a book by it’s cover. The Chech league is notorious for not giving young players ice time. Even some of the best players that come outta the league don’t have hot stats. Jasek is a good example. Hopefully Plasek can get out of there and further develop his game 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I do remember it. I don't remember Gillis' picks (the predecessor) having this level of success THUS FAR. Before the excuse that Benning has had high picks get thrown in, we do have Demko and Hoglander, and many other prospects look promising.

So yes, there is an optimism that Plasek could be a homerun. Jasek is doing well and looks like he might push for an NHL role too. I think home run is an apt term, especially since these lower drafted players have such low expectations placed on them.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Celebrating a signing is something like "Cool,, look forward to him developing and seeing what we have", not "wow, another homerun from Benning and his scouts".  The latter is meant to push a false narrative, and frankly, a tired narrative, that we've already seen plenty of times before, most recently with Adam Gaudette.

But I'm sure you already knew that.

[signature redacted]

Adam Gaudette is a home run pick for a 5th rounder. How he was handled afterward is beside the point.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

He took his chance when he got it due to COVID taking out players above him otherwise he wouldn’t have made the team. I’m pretty sure we saw peak Costmar. I think he can carve out a career in the AHL if he wants to but I just don’t see enough there to say he will develop enough to crack an NHL roster 

Sounds like a wild guess to me on Costmar. Nothing wrong with getting excited about you young players. However there’s a fine line there to not get disappointed if they don’t turn out. Most of them don’t. We had a 4th round pick Keppen released to FA yesterday. Same draft as Plasek 

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Adam Gaudette is a home run pick for a 5th rounder. How he was handled afterward is beside the point.

Picking apart words. You said home run so he jumped on it. Meh, who cares any time it’s worth it to sign a 6th round pick then that’s a good pick for sure. Gaudette was an excellent pick at 5 as well. Some teams don’t even get anything out of a particular draft 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Sure.  The important thing to discern is that we can say this because we're in 2021, not 2017.

If in 2 years time Plasek is playing regular minutes on the Canucks and is a contributing member to the extent that Gaudette was, it's a homerun.  Until then, he's just a prospect that's signed an ELC.  Nothing more, nothing less.

[you know what goes here]