The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Karel Plasek

3 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I'm not saying he won't be good.  I'm just saying that we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves with these claims that he's a home-run.  If the sea of Shirokovs hasn't taught anybody anything, then maybe Adam Gaudette will?  Idk.

Hope this helps.

Obviously the sea of Hoglander hasn't taught you anything either.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alain Vigneault said:

Sure.  The important thing to discern is that we can say this because we're in 2021, not 2017.

If in 2 years time Plasek is playing regular minutes on the Canucks and is a contributing member to the extent that Gaudette was, it's a homerun.  Until then, he's just a prospect that's signed an ELC.  Nothing more, nothing less.

[you know what goes here]

Plasek is certainly TRENDING towards a home run pick. Your nitpicky language does not invalidate his accomplishments thus far.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Plasek is certainly TRENDING towards a home run pick. Your nitpicky language does not invalidate his accomplishments thus far.

There's a major difference between trending to be a home run and a home run.

It's not nitpicky, you were just wrong lol.

Balls go high into the air all the time but if the outfielder catches it at the warning track, it's not a homerun.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, PuckFather said:

Obviously the sea of Hoglander hasn't taught you anything either.

Hoglander was a 2nd rounder, not a 6th rounder.  More than 100 picks separating the two.

[signature goes here]

32 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Do you remember how many players the Canucks (and every other team) have drafted who were thought to have those attributes but didnt amount to anything at the NHL level?

It might be a bit too early to proclaim this guy a homerun, don't you think?

I think it’s at least a double. If you are hitting doubles in the 6th round your drafting is A+. 

Let's let Plasek have a full two years in the AHL and see where he's at.  I think he possesses a lot of great tools and could do well in North America.  Barring any injury crises, I think we could see a call-up in 2024, maybe 2023.

Until then, for the sanity of many of you, let's cool it on the homerun/slamdunk talk B) 

[no, I won't say it]

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I do remember it. I don't remember Gillis' picks (the predecessor) having this level of success THUS FAR. Before the excuse that Benning has had high picks get thrown in, we do have Demko and Hoglander, and many other prospects look promising.

So yes, there is an optimism that Plasek could be a homerun. Jasek is doing well and looks like he might push for an NHL role too. I think home run is an apt term, especially since these lower drafted players have such low expectations placed on them.

Having optimism is different than declaring it as a fact though.

He is not a homerun pick at this point. Hopefully he will be and lets all be optimistic.

But this signing at this point doesnt prove anything yet.

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Celebrating a signing is something like "Cool,, look forward to him developing and seeing what we have", not "wow, another homerun from Benning and his scouts".  The latter is meant to push a false narrative, and frankly, a tired narrative, that we've already seen plenty of times before, most recently with Adam Gaudette.

But I'm sure you already knew that.

[signature redacted]

We're not talking about Gaudette and you didn't answer my question. Saying someone nailed the draft is not pushing a false narrative. It's stating an opinion that someone thinks that draft went well. Most certainly not worth a full post and gif. Hense why I was curious if this is like, a thing you enjoy doing on the Internet. If it is, that's fine. It's not my thing, I find it irritating. But like I said, in just genuinely curious if it's just a internet thing, or you're actually like this?

Edited by shayster007
  • Cheers 3

This is good news for Canuck's inaugural season with the farm in Abby. With both Lind and Gad potentially moving on thru ED or waivers, Baer leaving as FA,  Anas & Stevens being folding back with St. Louis post-covid, Lockwood in competition for 13th forward spot on the Canucks - already with a team that didn't have a great year anyway.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Perhaps, that's the interpretation of my signature.  In any event, I genuinely try to help people with my posts.

[signature redacted]

You complain. Nothing more, nothing less.

There is no help in your post whatsoever.

Please review what Helping means.

• Haha 3

We'll see if he can make it in Abby next year. His numbers in Europe haven't seen much change over the past few years. So long as we're not close to the contract limit, this is fine.

7 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

This is good news for Canuck's inaugural season with the farm in Abby. With both Lind and Gad potentially moving on thru ED or waivers, Baer leaving as FA,  Anas & Stevens being folding back with St. Louis post-covid, Lockwood in competition for 13th forward spot on the Canucks - already with a team that didn't have a great year anyway.

I would contest this bit--the .589 point percentage is the 3rd highest out of eight Comets years. Quite respectable I'd say, albeit not amazing or anything.

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

You complain. Nothing more, nothing less.

There is no help in your post whatsoever.

Please review what Helping means.

What you think is a complaint is actually just an observation.  But because this observation is not pro-Canucks or demonstrates fawning over the work of management, you take it to be something negative in your imagination.  Reading is hard, I know.

[you could use some help]

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would contest this bit--the .589 point percentage is the 3rd highest out of eight Comets years. Quite respectable I'd say, albeit not amazing or anything.

Yeah sure, but they came 12th in the league in win percentage, didn't make the playoffs, and are losing potentially most of their top-6 - so it's good they have some cavalry coming in Plasek