The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hogtown-Implosion Should Assist JB

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yea, those guys were both incredible players. the Montreal teams of the 70's into early 80's were stacked to the brim with "A" players. Absolute Dream teams.

Habs GM was crafty SOB as well.  Back when there was no lottery, he worked his magic to make sure they'd be able to draft Guy Lafleur.  One team was in the way so the Habs GM deliberately gave them a one-sided trade so that team would move up the standings (giving them a crappier 1st round pick obviously).

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 10:30 AM, Alflives said:

And Dubas, with his obvious over pay contracts for the top guys, has connected Shanahan (and himself) to a core that folds under pressure.  

Not praising Dubas, just commenting on Lou and his time with the Laffs.

As a Nucks fan, I think the Laffs are perfectly fine. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yea, those guys were both incredible players. the Montreal teams of the 70's into early 80's were stacked to the brim with "A" players. Absolute Dream teams.

When players played for the game.

• Vintage 2

• 3 weeks later...

This Laff's example is the cautionary, don't-follow-us, for all the wrong reasons.

Contrast with the Hab's example, promoting the concept of complete & humble, team buy-in.

The two most storied franchises offering free advice(just wks apart!) to our young RFA's, & guidelines for JB & these upcoming contracts.

On 6/1/2021 at 3:53 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Firstly, appreciate a number of threads have been kicked off in homage to yesterday's fine outcome; but I feel this is noteworthy, & somewhat separate in detail. Whether a lover or hater of JB & Van's managerial-approach, I would hope we can all agree on one salient point: that JB & Dubas' moves have been a study in contrasts.

Would assume this will somewhat assist Gent Jim, as he discusses $/term with our young stars. Already he has reasoned with Bo, Brock & Thatcher to accept deals that serve their own, and the team's interests. I have faith that he will do likewise with our two young stars this summer. The performance of TO's overpaid, ballyhooed circus act, is just one more bullet in the chamber of reason. Let's not play rushin'-roulette with our young guns, eh?(misspelled by design)

What defines Dubas(& his time)?

- Sign a flashy UFA as core-piece, & pronounced official leader. Committing over 10% to an outsider, as RFA's line up for contracts

- Then obscenely overpay said RFA's. Blowing up more bridges than a Hollyweird, B-rate, adventure flick

- Bring in a succession(helter skelter) of more aging leaders(at various stages of career-decomposition). They will supposedly help shelter the hugely-compensated RFA$$$

- Trade/fritter away 1st's to either jettison aforementioned, aging, decaying vets, and/or reload with more of 'em!

- Rifts with greying, respected names(like Lou & Babs) in the game longer than this guy's been alive

Don't think we've seen nearrr the conscienceless turnover this vast machine has been churning through. Yet the lamestream sporting media has enlightened us all with how superior their approach has been.

Ladies & gents of the jury, I hereby provide this damning evidence of why Kyle Du_b@$$ is a direct threat to ML-society.

& think of the flack poor ol' JB has taken. Let's thank our lucky stars ownership has the wisdom & patience to know otherwise!

Your Honor, 

Shanaplan screwed up when they let LL go, and instead of selecting Mark Hunter as GM, they chose Dumbass. 

Case closed. Haha! 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Your Honor, 

Shanaplan screwed up when they let LL go, and instead of selecting Mark Hunter as GM, they chose Dumbass. 

Case closed. Haha! 

Oughta' be served up like a classic Al Pacino rant, in the final (absolutely epic) scene of "& Justice For All".

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
sleepy grammar
  • Cheers 1

• 3 months later...

Leafs got close to a cup winning team, but didn't finish the job. They took forever to get tougher, and they paid heavily (with term) for their top players who aren't exactly character guys. Goaltending has been a question the whole time, and have they brought in any highly productive players from the draft? 

I give Benning the nod on team construction over Dubas any day. With that said, we still have question marks on D.

• Cheers 1

On 6/2/2021 at 7:53 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Would assume this will somewhat assist Gent Jim, as he discusses $/term with our young stars. Already he has reasoned with Bo, Brock & Thatcher to accept deals that serve their own, and the team's interests. I have faith that he will do likewise with our two young stars this summer.

& think of the flack poor ol' JB has taken. Let's thank our lucky stars ownership has the wisdom & patience to know otherwise!

STILL hear JB being dissed in that evil HF-zone. Well, he did indeed sign 2 more ultra-key, young, uber-talents(that he, himself DRAFTed to begin with) to very fair deals.

The alleged(constructed?) hatred is so irrational & outdated over there. Now they chant it like some Hogtown, zombie-mantra.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

STILL hear JB being dissed in that evil HF-zone. Well, he did indeed sign 2 more ultra-key, young, uber-talents(that he, himself DRAFTed to begin with) to very fair deals.

The alleged(constructed?) hatred is so irrational & outdated over there. Now they chant it like some Hogtown, zombie-mantra.

A bunch of morons.... 

The boy has done everything we could have hoped for, except challenging for a cup. 
He could turn all the water in the bay into gold and they'd still find something to moan about.... embarrashing really

• Cheers 1

On 6/1/2021 at 3:53 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

- Sign a flashy UFA as core-piece, & pronounced official leader. Committing over 10% to an outsider, as RFA's line up for contracts

This is really what killed the Leafs in my opinion.  The Tavares signing damaged them more than helping them even if it wasn’t obvious at the time.  I said it at the time, but the Leafs would have been much better off holding onto their key depth and leadership pieces such as Bozak, JVR, Kaspanen, etc., while more importantly, keeping an internal cap structure intact.  

The Leafs and Dubas won John Tavares instead of winning a cup.  This, in my opinion, is what this current Leafs core will be remembered for.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

The Leafs and Dubas won John Tavares instead of winning a cup.  This, in my opinion, is what this current Leafs core will be remembered for.

Rather than Taveres, Dubas should have put all his efforts/Cap space into findinga quality D'man. The concept of we can outscore our problems is a false one

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

17 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I think Tavares is already on the downside of his Career. While Mathews and Marner are a really great tandem the next guy on the depth chart is that flamingo shot blocker Nylander. They are destined to be first round knockouts yet again.

They have Taveres untill 2025 at $11mill, he's 31 this season

On 6/3/2021 at 2:47 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Habs GM was crafty SOB as well.  Back when there was no lottery, he worked his magic to make sure they'd be able to draft Guy Lafleur.  One team was in the way so the Habs GM deliberately gave them a one-sided trade so that team would move up the standings (giving them a crappier 1st round pick obviously).

Ummm...except they drafted the wrong guy.   Dionne has said - and possibly rightly so, that he'd have 1000 NHL goals if he played for the Habs instead.   Guy scored liked 400 more points or something like that on mostly crappy teams.   Met them both five years or so after they retired on an old timers game.   Dionne looked like he could still play in the league, skated circles around the other "old timers" and scored five goals ...Lafluer was who everyone came to see though including me.   Lafleur special talent was lighting bottle rockets at one point and skating really fast in a straight line for the fans.   Dionne was the better player but buried in LA until the 80's more or less ... That said Lafluer was a special special player too.   But bet Dionne would of had all the same hardware instead.  And some. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2