The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim wants aggressive? OK lets talk Makar offer sheet.

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Probably the worst idea out there. Last thing the Canucks would want to do is massively overpay for one player and risk a counter offer on Pettersson. No room to fit him in under the cap so basically he team would have to be gutted to make room... A very very bad idea IMO.

I don't think that part is accurate, we could afford one guy at that rate. But yes it would mean we'd have to find a lot of bargains at other positions. 

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

I just think there's better ways to spend our assets and manage the cap more efficiently. An $11m x 7 contract is quite the commitment, and makes me cringe at what Huggy, Petey, and Boeser's long term deals will look like with the flat cap. Don't want to become Toronto 2.0 here.

yeah thats where it gets sticky, there aren't many of these huge deals paying off at the moment. 

I think when Benning says he'll be aggressive, I think he'll upgrade the top 6 (winger) and move Hoglander down to the 3rd line with possibly a new #3C. I assume Sutter will be resigned to C the 4th line.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - ??

Motte - ?? - Hoglander

Highmore - Sutter - Podkolzin

Roussel

I'm not sure he sells the farm for a Dman, maybe he drafts one of the Big 4.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think that part is accurate, we could afford one guy at that rate. But yes it would mean we'd have to find a lot of bargains at other positions. 

In other words lean towards the Toronto  or Edmonton models of re--building vs the Colorado model. As much as Makar is a quality player I'm not sure he is enough of a difference maker once you gut the team to make room for him

I don't like it, it's a "Leafs move".

There's a reason that no team has won the cup with a 10M+ player even yeeaaarsss after having them. I think Price is the first one to advance in many years. Tying too much into one guy is not worth it, no matter how good they are. Exhibit: Connor f**king McDavid.

Aggressive is good... knowing when it's time to cut bait and move on from guys. Blowing the bank on big free agents (Restricted or otherwise) is not aggressive imo, it's foolish. The best teams build from within and then add a supplementary piece or two from another team who has gotten out of control (see: Toews trade to COL) for relatively cheap or a UFA who decides they like the look / try for one really cheap go-around (Perry in MTL)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

In other words lean towards the Toronto  or Edmonton models of re--building vs the Colorado model. As much as Makar is a quality player I'm not sure he is enough of a difference maker once you gut the team to make room for him

year fair point. It makes you wonder tho what Colorado will have to end up paying him? is he more or less valuable than Rantanen? 

1 minute ago, brownky said:

I don't like it, it's a "Leafs move".

There's a reason that no team has won the cup with a 10M+ player even yeeaaarsss after having them. I think Price is the first one to advance in many years. Tying too much into one guy is not worth it, no matter how good they are. Exhibit: Connor f**king McDavid.

Aggressive is good... knowing when it's time to cut bait and move on from guys. Blowing the bank on big free agents (Restricted or otherwise) is not aggressive imo, it's foolish. The best teams build from within and then add a supplementary piece or two from another team who has gotten out of control (see: Toews trade to COL) for relatively cheap or a UFA who decides they like the look / try for one really cheap go-around (Perry in MTL)

I think this is a good point. I also like the one about not having late 1sts to use for rentals once our window opens.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Just about the most aggressive thing a GM could do is an offer sheet. So who's the biggest offer sheet prize this year? Makar, by a mile.

It likely takes something massive like 11 x 7 but if you knew Makar would sign it, would you do it?

What are the pro's and con's if Jim tries a move like this?

And just to pre-empt one thing, all GMs would throw each other under a bus so goodwill amongst GMs isn't a good argument. 

Not worth it, I think between Hughes and Rathbone, we have the offensive DMan category covered for a few years. We need some more abrasive D.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

The offer sheet obviously lol 

as much as I'd like Makar, I think there are a lot of solid points made against it so far. 

But I sure like the idea of screwing over Sakic. 

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Not worth it, I think between Hughes and Rathbone, we have the offensive DMan category covered for a few years. We need some more abrasive D.

Honestly, we should go after Zadorov's rights from Chicago. They've already said he wasn't a fit there, so we could probably get him fairly cheap.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

as much as I'd like Makar, I think there are a lot of solid points made against it so far. 

But I sure like the idea of screwing over Sakic. 

Lets offer him 13 mill per and avs would match And totally screw the avs payroll would be funny to watch

• Vintage 1

Honestly, we should go after Zadorov's rights from Chicago. They've already said he wasn't a fit there, so we could probably get him fairly cheap.

I like this idea too, but Seattle probably takes him from us if we don't protect him.

Pay them to take Roussel?

maybe. I'd guess that costs us this years 2nd, and I'd hate that because there are so many good potential RHDs between 30 and 60 this year. 

A healthy Roussel is an effective pest but he hasn't been the same since that knee rebuild. 

But if we could get Zadorov for a prospect swap (Lind?) and we can move Rous' salary to Seattle for a 2nd that would bring some size we really need. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, smithers joe said:

i don't like offer sheets. we'ld be ticked if petey was offer sheeted and we couldn't match. imo it is playing dirty pool.

its in the rule book tho Joe, its a tool GMs have. 

7 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I like that idea much better than what it would cost and probably do to the team by successfully offer sheeting Makar.

Zadorov; while not flashy, gets the job done and has both the size and versatility to play either side if need be.

• Cheers 2