The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Podkolzin (The Lion) be the greatest playoff performer in canucks history

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

On 6/3/2021 at 4:11 PM, IBatch said:

Don't worry.   Everything i've read about his shot is that it's elite.   Just like his passing, his puck handling, one on one play and his skating aside from top speed.    This kid is a lion.   Give him better teammates then Vey and watch out.   One of the things that the scouts mention is he's on a deep top KHL team, that they don't want him to leave and have the money to pay him more then an ELC in the NHL, and have kept him where he is on purpose.    The Russians don't want to lose this kid to the NHL.   But they are going to.   Just hope that the staff is ready to be of service for him,  help him with his English and acclimating.    We've got a pretty good history with Russian players, and would be really cool to see history repeat itself. Guys a gamer for sure .

Friendly bet for Podkolzin getting 20 goals in his first season? Like a changing of the avatar or sig? 

I'm predicting he will get 12-14 goals, I don't think he'll come in guns blazing putting up goals off his first season. If he hits 20 though I'll rock a terrible avatar or a sig for a season and I'll be more than happy to say I lost the bet because then Podkolzin will be much further along his curve than I thought he'd be at this point :) 

If you're wrong though I get too laugh at your bad avatar or sig though for a whole season haha

Edit: Edited for clarity.

Edited by MikeyD
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Friendly bet for Podkolzin getting 20 goals in his first season? Like a changing of the avatar or sig? 

I'm predicting he will get 12-14 goals, I don't think he'll come in guns blazing putting up goals off his first season. If he hits 20 though I'll rock a terrible avatar or a sig for a season and I'll be more than happy to say I lost the bet because then Podkolzin will be much further along his curve than I thought he'd be at this point :) 

If you're wrong though I get too laugh at your bad avatar or sig though for a whole season haha

Edit: Edited for clarity.

20 Goals IF he gets top six yes i'd do that.   But expect he will get around 14-16 minutes a night, 2-4 which will be on the PK.  

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

20 Goals IF he gets top six yes i'd do that.   But expect he will get around 14-16 minutes a night, 2-4 which will be on the PK.  

I think the way management talks him up he will start off top 6 and get shifted down to 3rd line, heavy PK a third of the way into the season. However if his shot is elite like people say it is, he'd easily stay in the top 6. I say he's got a 50% chance of staying top 6. Green has a fetish with Pearson somehow being a better player than what he actually is though, so who knows. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I think the way management talks him up he will start off top 6 and get shifted down to 3rd line, heavy PK a third of the way into the season. However if his shot is elite like people say it is, he'd easily stay in the top 6. I say he's got a 50% chance of staying top 6. Green has a fetish with Pearson somehow being a better player than what he actually is though, so who knows. 

Yes.  Podz plays the R side so Hogs would have to move back to his natural side which is LW.   Testament to his season really playing his off side (Hogs). JV is also a wild card (and can also play L).    If he's back then who the heck knows where Podz ends up.   Hoffman might be a cheap add.   He's a LW.    Wonder what JB is going to do.   Talks about wanting to add a top six forward but doesn't have the cap space.  Hyman is also a LW, same with Granlund.    So is Dickinson (and a C)....BB for sure top RW.   We are very close from adding another scoring line Miller and EP play C.     Hogs EP BB ,   Pearson, Horvat Podz... Dickinson/??? Miller JV.   

Edit:  Really can't wait to see what Podz looks like now.   If he's actually 6'4" that would really add size to any of our lines.    IF we re-sign Sutter - i doubt TG wont create a shutdown line with Dickinson/Motte - Sutter and Podz. But i'm hoping that our 4th can do that really.   Podz is a swiss army knife any way you look at it.    Like Brady Tkchuck or Claude Lemieux by the looks of it.    20/30 player in a middle six role that does it all.   IF we can create a second PP unit with him on it and they get 45 seconds instead of 20,  it's for sure possible he could end up a Calder finalist...

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Didn’t we learn from Virtanen not to directly correlate size with playoff performance. 

Poor kid has loftier expectations that Pettersson when he arrived. 

Meh.  I never got into the idea he was a power forward.   Maybe he managed that against juniors... sure he can hit but seemed to get neutered playing under WD.    He's still a NHL player with some upside.    But last season was down right awful really.    And he's no Bertuzzi size wise just a little above average really, hardly an imposing build.   Miller and Horvat are about the same.   JVs legacy is almost certainly disappointment now. 

Clutch is clutch.  Horvat appears to be clutch.   Adams, Ronning, Linden,  Babcyh, Courtnall, Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Ohlund were clutch too.   Jovo to a degree as well.    Ronning and Bieksa weren't really that big were they, same as Courtnall.   Same with Burrows.   Or Smyl for that matter.   To me it's always the size of the fight in the dog ... otherwise we'd have a bunch of 6'4" 220lb guys that can't score or do anything really. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes.  Podz plays the R side so Hogs would have to move back to his natural side which is LW.   Testament to his season really playing his off side (Hogs). JV is also a wild card (and can also play L).    If he's back then who the heck knows where Podz ends up.   Hoffman might be a cheap add.   He's a LW.    Wonder what JB is going to do.   Talks about wanting to add a top six forward but doesn't have the cap space.  Hyman is also a LW, same with Granlund.    So is Dickinson (and a C)....BB for sure top RW.   We are very close from adding another scoring line Miller and EP play C.     Hogs EP BB ,   Pearson, Horvat Podz... Dickinson/??? Miller JV.   

Edit:  Really can't wait to see what Podz looks like now.   If he's actually 6'4" that would really add size to any of our lines.    IF we re-sign Sutter - i doubt TG wont create a shutdown line with Dickinson/Motte - Sutter and Podz. But i'm hoping that our 4th can do that really.   Podz is a swiss army knife any way you look at it.    Like Brady Tkchuck or Claude Lemieux by the looks of it.    20/30 player in a middle six role that does it all.   IF we can create a second PP unit with him on it and they get 45 seconds instead of 20,  it's for sure possible he could end up a Calder finalist...

It's definitely got me wanting to see this kid play. He's such a wildcard to me. His defensive side is great but I wonder if his motor will be as strong as Hoglander's (if it is, we nailed this pick automatically) but I find that he either brings his motor 149% for a game or he dials it back and can float a bit away from the puck as well. Obviously more games than not we see his high motor, but I wonder how consistent of a player he will be. Hoglander is always consistent, which I absolutely love in players. I find a lot of the smaller players almost feel as if they have to play this way though and if you're above 6 feet you tend to conserve a bit more some nights. Everybody talks about the high end motor of this kid, but if you've watched him even in the world juniors, you'll often hear Ferraro talk about how he can go invisible. Not bad, but also not in your face, where he definitely is at his peak game. Always shows up to big games though and has a real tenacity and hatred for losing though which I love and I feel will drive his career. 

I was happy with the pick when it was made because of the upside, and I think regardless he will get there, but I just wonder how many seasons it will take to see it? Will he come as advertised his rookie season or will it show up a few seasons from now after having refined and ironed out some of his tendencies to get rid of the puck a bit earlier than he should? 

He will be an automatic fan favourite of this team or he will be the whipping boy, but I think the ice is tilted pretty strongly towards the fan favourite. I still think we need a bit of patience with the kid though. It's a big adjustment for this level and expecting a 50 point season out of the gate is pretty high expectations.