Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Podkolzin (The Lion) be the greatest playoff performer in canucks history

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, mll said:

Benning himself says that Podkolzin does not have an elite shot (which Tarasenko has).   He compares him to Miller without the shot and says good players will want to play with him because he will do the dirty work and get them the puck.  

 

Might be a fit with Pettersson down the road especially if Miller moves to center his own line. 

Is by comparing him to Miller mean his shot isn't elite?    Man if he's another Miller we are pretty darn lucky.   We'd have three of them in a way including Horvat.    Most of what i've read about Podz says both his shot and his passing are both elite.   Skating too.  There really is nothing not to like about this kid.   A 6'3"-4" energizer bunny in the top six that's going to surprise a lot of teams i'm sure.    Never ever gives up on a play and his teams feed off his energy.   When Miller came in he taught both EP and BB to add an element to their tool box in playing the "right way"...this is one learning curve already pre built into Podz.   If he won't quit on a play as a rookie, can't wait to see how infectious it becomes.    All the individual skills were at or near the top of his draft class.  Skating, Shot, Passing, 1-1 stickhandling, awareness etc.    The biggest question mark is how that will translate in the NHL.   Is he a top liner or Nash 2.0?  Or is he a solid middle six PK specialist? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Think Podz can play a similar style like Corey Perry. 

 

Big, strong on his skates, battles, goes hard to the net, creates space for his teammates, and score goals in tight.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

X factor will be the staff cause his deployment & usage will depend on them - hope he does an EP by earning his spot from day one and doesn’t, even give the staff a chance to sit him.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pod has been playing really well. Can't wait to see him play this season. Plays a heavy game and will be a welcome addition to the top 6. Vancouver will be harder to play against when he finds his game in the NHL :towel:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Is by comparing him to Miller mean his shot isn't elite?    Man if he's another Miller we are pretty darn lucky.   We'd have three of them in a way including Horvat.    Most of what i've read about Podz says both his shot and his passing are both elite.   Skating too.  There really is nothing not to like about this kid.   A 6'3"-4" energizer bunny in the top six that's going to surprise a lot of teams i'm sure.    Never ever gives up on a play and his teams feed off his energy.   When Miller came in he taught both EP and BB to add an element to their tool box in playing the "right way"...this is one learning curve already pre built into Podz.   If he won't quit on a play as a rookie, can't wait to see how infectious it becomes.    All the individual skills were at or near the top of his draft class.  Skating, Shot, Passing, 1-1 stickhandling, awareness etc.    The biggest question mark is how that will translate in the NHL.   Is he a top liner or Nash 2.0?  Or is he a solid middle six PK specialist? 

According to Benning he does not have Miller's shooting ability but otherwise their game is comparable.  His GM with SKA also said that his shot needs work.  Which scout says his shot is elite - just curious given that Benning says it isn't.

 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, mll said:

According to Benning he does not have Miller's shooting ability but otherwise their game is comparable.  His GM with SKA also said that his shot needs work.  Which scout says his shot is elite - just curious given that Benning says it isn't.

 

Will be back with that - like to see the quote from JB too.   Haven't read that or seen a video of JB saying that.  But do read prospect stuff all the time and the only thing i haven't read anywhere that suggests his shot needs work.   Only that the total of his parts leaves you wanting more.   Skill wise this guy was at or near the top on virtually everything his draft class  shot included.   Only thing i read was his shot could be harder - was extremely accurate both wrister, snap and slap.    What i do believe we might have on our hands - is the Russian equivalent of Brady T. 

 

Will see what i can find - but would like to see the article about JB and Petersburg saying his shot needs work .... it's not what i can find anyways.   Sure it does - and will get better - elite as far as prospects goes only means it's elite compared to their peer group.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Will be back with that - like to see the quote from JB too.   Haven't read that or seen a video of JB saying that.  But do read prospect stuff all the time and the only thing i haven't read anywhere that suggests his shot needs work.   Only that the total of his parts leaves you wanting more.   Skill wise this guy was at or near the top on virtually everything his draft class  shot included.   Only thing i read was his shot could be harder - was extremely accurate both wrister, snap and slap.    What i do believe we might have on our hands - is the Russian equivalent of Brady T. 

Og me... I think, I just wet myself... I

f that is the case, I see us winning a cup soon... We have the talent, creativity and goal scoring. What we don't have is someone to smash up the opposition... 

I can't wait to see Podz playing in Vancouver. Talk about becoming a fan favourite instantly.... bring it on :)

 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The best comment I've heard was from Craig Button who stated emphatically the kid is ready for the NHL. Button is often blunt but a good percenatge of the time is correct. If you just want to hear cheerleader stuff Button is not for you

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Og me... I think, I just wet myself... I

f that is the case, I see us winning a cup soon... We have the talent, creativity and goal scoring. What we don't have is someone to smash up the opposition... 

I can't wait to see Podz playing in Vancouver. Talk about becoming a fan favourite instantly.... bring it on :)

 

Lol me too.   

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Will be back with that - like to see the quote from JB too.   Haven't read that or seen a video of JB saying that.  But do read prospect stuff all the time and the only thing i haven't read anywhere that suggests his shot needs work.   Only that the total of his parts leaves you wanting more.   Skill wise this guy was at or near the top on virtually everything his draft class  shot included.   Only thing i read was his shot could be harder - was extremely accurate both wrister, snap and slap.    What i do believe we might have on our hands - is the Russian equivalent of Brady T. 

 

Will see what i can find - but would like to see the article about JB and Petersburg saying his shot needs work .... it's not what i can find anyways.   Sure it does - and will get better - elite as far as prospects goes only means it's elite compared to their peer group.   

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't put undue pressure on the kid. I'm sure he will be a strong contributor for this team, but putting the pressure of playoff success squarely on his shoulders is unfair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Looks like he has a pretty decent shot to me. Sure he can work on it but hes a lion and it will come naturally in about 6 months.

 

 

Don't worry.   Everything i've read about his shot is that it's elite.   Just like his passing, his puck handling, one on one play and his skating aside from top speed.    This kid is a lion.   Give him better teammates then Vey and watch out.   One of the things that the scouts mention is he's on a deep top KHL team, that they don't want him to leave and have the money to pay him more then an ELC in the NHL, and have kept him where he is on purpose.    The Russians don't want to lose this kid to the NHL.   But they are going to.   Just hope that the staff is ready to be of service for him,  help him with his English and acclimating.    We've got a pretty good history with Russian players, and would be really cool to see history repeat itself. Guys a gamer for sure .

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Please don't put undue pressure on the kid. I'm sure he will be a strong contributor for this team, but putting the pressure of playoff success squarely on his shoulders is unfair.

image.gif.db937f635c65060944419a36a649aac2.gif

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2021 at 1:35 PM, Bertuzzipunch said:

 

I think so, actually im guaranteeing it. You cant stop the lion. Huge goals massive hits complete destruction of the other team. The NHL is officially on alert 

I'll give you credit for the lion nickname.

It beats the budgy bird and teddy bear nicknames we've given our other stars 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2021 at 12:43 PM, grandmaster said:

Podkolzin is the next OV. You will see...

Yea, and I read in the sport section of the  "National Enquirer" (The magazine of truth !)    That he's going to win the Calder, Art Ross, Maurice Richard and Tim Horton's Trophies too next year. 

..........and they almost never lie! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...