The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade with Anaheim to get 3rd overall (Luke Hughes)

I think it would be wise for Vancouver to see what it would take to get #3 overall to draft Luke Hughes.  He’s a great player at the position we need and of course he’s at the position we need most.  There’s the obvious connection with Quinn Hughes and if we don’t draft him there’s a good chance NJ will draft him to play with jack hughes in NJ.  If NJ drafts him Quinn May one day want to play with his brothers and leave Vancouver.  I’d rather the Canucks be in a position to have jack join his brothers in Vancouver. 

I’m not sure what it would take, what do you guys think?

I’ll throw out a proposal of 1.09, 2.09 and rathbone for 1.03. 

20 minutes ago, brian42 said:

I think it would be wise for Vancouver to see what it would take to get #3 overall to draft Luke Hughes.  He’s a great player at the position we need and of course he’s at the position we need most.  There’s the obvious connection with Quinn Hughes and if we don’t draft him there’s a good chance NJ will draft him to play with jack hughes in NJ.  If NJ drafts him Quinn May one day want to play with his brothers and leave Vancouver.  I’d rather the Canucks be in a position to have jack join his brothers in Vancouver. 

I’m not sure what it would take, what do you guys think?

I’ll throw out a proposal of 1.09, 2.09 and rathbone for 1.03. 

Pass.  I’m not huge on Luke to be honest.

No point sacrificing depth to move up for him imo.

Two guys who I like a lot however are Kent Johnson and Carson Lambos.  I’m actually really surprised that Lambos is ranked as low as he is (around 15) but he could be a great pick at #9 imo.   He’s a good skating excellent two way dman from what I see.  Very smart.  His smallish size (6’0 200 lbs) must be the thing that has dropped him down.

I also love Kent Johnson at the 9 spot.  Good skater with offensive flair and creativity.  Can play both C and LW and also has a very good defensive game.

Johnson and Lambos are my top two “realistic” choices so far.

ps - I’m NOT sold on Mason McTavish right now.  Not a fan of his skating and his willingness to get physical seems to be inconsistent.

Edited by Patel Bure

Luke Hughes has an outside chance to fall to us at #9.  

I wouldn't really try and trade up in this draft, no one excites me enough to give up 2nd rounders.  If anything, GMJB should see if someone he likes falls to us at #9 and if not then trade down and get some extra picks.  

Part of this really is NJ drafting Hughes because I wouldn’t want Quinn to want to leave and head to NJ when he’s a UFA.  Also could attract jack at some point. Also I think it’s a good bet that Luke will develop well based on his family. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, brian42 said:

Part of this really is NJ drafting Hughes because I wouldn’t want Quinn to want to leave and head to NJ when he’s a UFA.  Also could attract jack at some point. Also I think it’s a good bet that Luke will develop well based on his family. 

Depends on their family dynamic. For some competing against their siblings/cousins etc is more rewarding and motivating that playing with them 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, brian42 said:

Yes the dreading "Staal, Sutter syndrome".    If we can't sign QHs long term after his bridge you just get ahead of it and trade him.    Maybe you trade him anyways,  have to get a positive overall effect if we want to win a cup and last year at least, this didn't happen.   Bure was a little like this too.   Cherry picking at the blue line while the rest of the team tried to get the puck added up, while a lot of our team was in the serious side of the plus column, he stayed close to zero.    However with Bure at least he scored a ton of PP goals and points, and SHG goals and points.    The team needs the same from QHs for him to be truly effective and on the positive side of the ledger - QB a top PP unit, try and stay even 5 x 5.    Doubt we will ever see QHs kill penalties.    There is a reason why they call them defensemen.    With that said our team also needs a weapon like QHs and glad we have him.    Someone who can be a game changer.   Just hope he can become like Campbell was in CHI and later Florida - as in a small D who can also control the entire pace of the game.    As of right now Campbell was by far the superior guy on the D side of the puck.    IF QHs can do that he will win a lot of hardware. 

7 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Depends on their family dynamic. For some competing against their siblings/cousins etc is more rewarding and motivating that playing with them 

Gordie Howe came out of retirement and added a decade of pro hockey on his resume just to play with his kids.    In this case for sure it mattered a lot. 

The Hughes bro's are highly touted, much like the Staal brothers before them.    Eric turned out to be the best of the bunch by far but each time another came around some hockey writers made articles about how this was going to be the greatest Staal yet.     So far J Hughes is finding playing against NHLers a lot tougher then QHs did - for me at least i'm pretty sure we got the best one already.    They are both small, they both plays positions where size actually matters and one is still doing it.   LH for sure could become the best of the bunch, at least he's not  puny (uncle genes lol!).   Get that some fans might find the Sedin nostalgia tempting, saw all the threads of how many of our solid blue chip core players some were willing to trade to move up to number one and grab Jack Hughes....good thing they aren't running things.   

To me it makes more sense to move up and take powers then move up and take Luke Hughes.    If we are going that far might as go all the way - and just to be clear no thanks to that as well.   

We'd be better off going with what we actually need which could be Clarke.   Not saying we should do that either (move up for Clarke).  Feel we should trade nothing and just pick the BPA at 9.    This draft year is meh at best.   Doubt one bit the top ten ends up anything like a top ten re-draft in five years.  Sure some will be great, maybe even a HHOFer in there or two,  but it's a massive gamble to trade actual players and future picks that could be solid known quantities for a kid whose played 15-30 games...