The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Although I’ll have to plead ignorance with the prospects for the most part in this draft, two realistic choices for me are Kent Johnson (C/LW) and Carson Lambos (LD).

Two things that jump out at me for both guys is their strong skating abilities, excellent two way play, and intelligence.  In Johnson’s case, he also has a lot of offensive flair and creativity and can drive a line possession wise.  He’s been compared to Mikael Granlund stylistically.  

I’m also of the belief that Carson Lambos would be projected to go much higher had he been 6’3 210 instead of 6’0 200 lbs.   But the guy is a good skater, smart, makes a good first pass, transitions well, and has a hard shot.  His biggest skill however, is his ability to handle forecheck pressure.  If the Canucks are looking for a long term Edler replacement, then this could be our guy. 

On the flip side, I’m not so sure if I’m sold on Mason McTavish.  I’m not sold on his skating or his ability to play physical consistently, which is supposed to be his bread and butter.

What are your thoughts? 

Not a huge fan of Kent Johnson ....  he's creative but sometimes too selfish.  

Dylan Guenther would be a great pick for us if he slides down to 9.  

To be totally honest, considering how many of the scouts, and credible draft guys like McKenzie, Cosentino, Button, etc are saying that very much this draft with its pandemic circumstances, you could find the best player somewhere within the top 15 picks, I'd love to trade down and recoup another asset whether another pick for next year or potentially a young asset.

Looking at this draft class, there isn't really one particular guy that stands out to me that we must draft with our first pick.

Considering JB's desire to be aggressive, I would not be even remotely surprised either if they end up dealing that pick for an impact NHLer player for the here and now.

However, if we were to select 9th overall, I'd want either Mason McTavish or Chaz Lucius.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Like 1

What are your guys’ thoughts on Carson Lambos?   The more I read about this guy, the more I like!

ps - Corson Ceulemans = I’m not sold on.  Seems like he’s at risk of being a tire fire in his own end at the NHL level.  Pass for me.

47 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

This thread needs a poll

Leaning towards mctavish, eklund, or clarke Should be solid

I’m going to go against the grain here and admit that I’m not high on Brandte Clarke.  Not a fan of his defensive game and I’m not sure if his offensive game, though great, is outstanding enough to justify his defensive inconsistencies. Not sold on McTavish either as I previously stated.

Eklund isn’t too bad though!

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, seeteesee said:

I say we have exactly a 1% chance of passing on grabbing Luke.... 

Luke to me seems like a poor man’s Quinn.  Luke doesn’t seem like he’ll be a bad player, but with Rathbone and Quinn already here, I think the Canucks would be going to the proverbial well one too many times with a Luke Hughes selection.  Pass for me.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Pumping oops. Someone just kept on saying hes a must pick at 9.... I think 9 is a huge stretch for Celeusman 

Maybe I’m wrong on Ceuleman but he almost reminds me Bode Wilde a little.   I wouldn’t mind Ceuleman as a 2nd round pick if he drops, but he’d be a massive reach at 9 imo.

• Upvote 1