The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

McTavish is a center.

Seems to fit what Columbus was/is building.

the more I look at this pick, I wonder if he's what we need too.... if both Kent Johnson and McTavish are available to us I bet Jim goes for the bigger body. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Canucks shouldn’t trade away this pick for a player pending UFA like some have suggested with Seth Jones. If you’re going to trade the pick, it should be for a good player with term, not UFA in a year (which makes the Miller trade even better).  It’s not like we are a high level contender and have plenty of high level prospects. 

I’m pretty sure most have suggested a sign and trade with Jones. Only way we should be giving any sort of significant value.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm leaning towards that scenario too.   It quite likely means playoffs depending on who the pick could be traded for.   Maybe not but for sure improves our odds of Parayoko or Jones is added to our blue line for example.    Or Sergachev or Chychrun.    

What is better for us in the long run?   Hard to know both have pro's and con's.    If it was one of the last two i'd do it in a blink but doubt they'd do that one for one.    Can see added value by jumping ahead past the ELC for an up and coming D like the last two and would do that sort of deal as it's also somewhat cost controlled.   Jones is a massive fish, and is also our biggest team weakness so get that deal as well.   

Do feel that two more great JB drafts would serve the team better on the long run though.    And yes that means we miss again next season.   Both ideas have merit. 

Still a couple of players short, so yes another high draft would do wonders, but fear that Benning won't be allowed the time to do this... which is actually kind of sad, as we finally are starting to see a proper core of good youngsters, whom only need a couple of supplementing players added...

Think there will be some serious talks on the Jones trade, but feel that we need another top 6 player as well... Would not be disappointed to see either Johnson, McTavish, Guenther or Sillinger added, pending on how Benning feels about them...

This season more than any other is a crap shot beyond belief, hence the idea of trading the pick for a known quantity isn't a bad one... 

All depends on whether Benning + Scouts feels they've seen enough of the youngsters to make the right pick... really tough call this year.

Edited by spook007

As much as Jones would be nice to get, he is too expensive, for where we are right now. We are still building our team, and yes he would be a great add, but his cost would stall our rebuild, and we would be short players we need for a strong team.

I would much more preferr to use our #9 draft pick, and the sign Jones as a UFA. As I would Hamilton this year. In saying that, next year we are clear of all our dead cap space, and when you think about it, we would also have this years and next years draft picks in the system.

So, let's do this in the right order, and do it right. Having watched some of the playoffs, and thinking back to our playoff runs, and we are just short multiple players, not one.

Yes, I like Jones, but not at that cost.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

36 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

As much as Jones would be nice to get, he is too expensive, for where we are right now. We are still building our team, and yes he would be a great add, but his cost would stall our rebuild, and we would be short players we need for a strong team.

I would much more preferr to use our #9 draft pick, and the sign Jones as a UFA. As I would Hamilton this year. In saying that, next year we are clear of all our dead cap space, and when you think about it, we would also have this years and next years draft picks in the system.

So, let's do this in the right order, and do it right. Having watched some of the playoffs, and thinking back to our playoff runs, and we are just short multiple players, not one.

Yes, I like Jones, but not at that cost.

Tend to agree.

Never mind the Trump cult concerns, the contracts status, cap space for to that contract status... It's realistically too much, too soon, for where we are. As good of a player as he is.

If we're moving the pick, it should be for a young right D in the 20-24 year old range that the rest of our core is in, that still has time and RFA club control.

• Cheers 1

Who is the Quinn Hughes/ Elias pettersson of this years draft? 

the knock on Q was he was small and too much of a risk taker. 

on pettersson that he was small and weak on his skate. 

If there was ever a year where teams swing for the fences (Canucks included) it’s this year.

Thankfully Jim has an appetite for risky picks based on significant amount of future projection going back to his first draft with Canucks. 

Which player in this draft is underrated and would excite fans like these two guys. 

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Tend to agree.

Never mind the Trump cult concerns,

:lol:

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

the contracts status, cap space for to that contract status... It's realistically too much, too soon, for where we are. As good of a player as he is.

If we're moving the pick, it should be for a young right D in the 20-24 year old range that the rest of our core is in, that still has time and RFA club control.

I'm not sure that SJ's deal would be too much, since we have Rathbone on his ELC and Juolevi on likely a very low bridge deal. 

With McTavish, are we stuck in that goofy CHL rule where we can't put him in Abby next year? even though he played in a Swiss men's league this year?

I'm wondering if that will effect our pick this year a bit, although Jim did say he was going "BPA" but I'm not sure what that even means this draft, there's so much variation after Power.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:lol:

I'm not sure that SJ's deal would be too much, since we have Rathbone on his ELC and Juolevi on likely a very low bridge deal. 

We'd likely have to send one of Schmidt/Myers back IMO if we want to have anything resembling D depth next year. And it just gets pricier after that.

And you may laugh but our media would have a field day with his views and make it a constant distraction. Never mind how covid denial would play in the locker room on a team that had an awful outbreak of it.

And again, not sure he's the best fit for the age of our core. Ideally, I'd move that pick for a +/- 22 year old guy.

He's a damn good player... But...

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

We'd likely have to send one of Schmidt/Myers back IMO if we want to have anything resembling D depth next year. And it just gets pricier after that.

And you may laugh but our media would have a field day with his views and make it a constant distraction. Never mind how covid denial would play in the locker room on a team that had an awful outbreak of it.

And again, not sure he's the best fit for the same of our core. Ideally, I'd move that pick for a +/- 22 year old guy.

He's a damn good player... But...

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at the way you phrased it. And I agree. I'd prefer that our players aren't retweeting stupid and/or dangerous health information or opinions.

I could just see it working cap wise with a bit of tweaking, maybe a Holtby buy out. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who really stood out at the Under 18's that will likely be there for us at 9?  Benning was scouting that tournament, so i think our top pick (maybe round two too) comes from there.  

I think you're correct, Alf. He seemed pretty satisfied that at 9 he'd get a player he likes, and that would be one he had a good personal look at. 

At this spot, in this draft every contender has something. I'm happy with whoever JB picks but I'm hoping he stresses the unseen qualities - grit, smarts, maturity, leadership.

I want a guy with character who I know is going to find a way to make the most of whatever he's got. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Assuming they're available which is unlikely, Eklund or Clarke (also Beniers).

More realistically, McTavish (wouldn't be opposed to Wallstedt).

If we go for a reach based on the public rankings so far, I'd go with Svechkov.