The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Shea Theodore does with Martinez as LD. 

Hughes has stated before that he can play both sides and that there are pros and cons to playing either side for him.

If only QH had a lethal slapper, I would be more inclined to try it out.

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

If only QH had a lethal slapper, I would be more inclined to try it out.

Yeah playmaking-wise being on your strong side is better. I figure it may be easier to walk the line in the offensive zone on your off-side. 

Rathbone likes to shoot. He might fare better in that regard playing the off-side. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah playmaking-wise being on your strong side is better. I figure it may be easier to walk the line in the offensive zone on your off-side. 

Rathbone likes to shoot. He might fare better in that regard playing the off-side. 

I could see Rathbone being a better conversion to the right side tbh.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I could see Rathbone being a better conversion to the right side tbh.

Yeah he likes to rip the puck so I could see Rathbone work there. 

Hughes is almost a pure-playmaker so idk if moving him to a side where he will have less time and space with the puck would benefit the team. 

So many LH D on the roster and the cusp(OJ/Rathbone). Hell, we got so many LH forwards too.

Makes me as a righty feel a lack of representation!

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah he likes to rip the puck so I could see Rathbone work there. 

Hughes is almost a pure-playmaker so idk if moving him to a side where he will have less time and space with the puck would benefit the team. 

So many LH D on the roster and the cusp(OJ/Rathbone). Hell, we got so many LH forwards too.

Makes me as a righty feel a lack of representation!

Rathbone also seems to have a better ability to adjust to his defensive shortcomings than Hughes does. Small sample size of course but Hughes generates offense at the expense of his defensive play. He definitely needs to learn how to use the same skills he has offensively on the defensive side of the puck. Speed, mobility, smart puck movement decisions, etc. He has not learned yet how to do that. Its probably the biggest knock on him.

Benning will sit by the phone, fielding offers (and maybe sending out a few) up until we hear, "Vancouver is on the clock." At that time, he looks at who is available, and if there isn't a guy he really, really wants, he'll start making calls back to the few who had made the best offers, and see if he can wring out just a little bit more from their final offer.

At this point, I'd be happy if he selected McTavish. If McTavish is gone and Wallstedt is still there then I'll expect a trade, something like trading down a few places (there look to be some reasonable d-men just a bit lower down), maybe an additional pick (perhaps next year?), and a reasonably good prospect (the prospect depends on the desperation of the trading partner, what picks they have available this year, and just how far down the Canucks would have to drop in this year's draft).

Or, they'll just draft someone else.

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

Keep the pick.

Podkolzin coming up. Hopefully a Johnson or McTavish pick. At least one of Lockwood, Lind or Gadjovich panning out in the next couple of years. We could have a really nice top 9.

All we need is significant change on defence then. New defensive coach. FA pickup. Idk?

I vote keep the pick as well. The Canucks aren't as deep as people think.

Always take the best available player, if all things equal take a dman every time.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, deepbluefunk said:

You have as much insider insight as absolutely nobody.

As do you. Great job. 

The proposal you've forwarded is inane. And now you act like a child with petty pot shots.

Seems some folks like the idea. The fact that you think it’s inane is moot. Your posts are easy to flush and forget about. 

i look forward to hearing what other people have to offer.

Didn’t ask nor do I care what you think. Maybe stick with parcheesi. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As do you. Great job. 

Seems some folks like the idea. The fact that you think it’s inane is moot. Your posts are easy to flush and forget about. 

Didn’t ask nor do I care what you think. Maybe stick with parcheesi. 

yawn

• Haha 1

I'll leave the picking to the experts but I wouldn't move the 1st pick. 

I would use our 1st and 2nd to get some good draft picks (let the scouts do their magic) and then entertain trading JV and a pick for a high end prospect and a pick or a player that can step in next year. After the 1st and 2nd round, there are always teams that are trying to shop for picks to salvage the draft and teams that are up against the cap and have to move someone. 

I do hope that we get a bigger player in the Bo Horvat class...skating, size, heart and decent hands. We need defensemen but as someone pointed out....good RHD in the 2nd round....we need some scoring power and speed. You can have too many guys that can pass but with limited scorers at their disposal....passing won't put the numbers on the scoreboard. JMHO.

ps Seth Jones contract would create cap problems and Benning would be giving players away just to stay under the cap. 

Edited by bluesman60
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, TheNewGM said:

i want the top defensemen at 9th. we need it badly

We need a top defenseman now. To take advantage of Quinn’s speed and playmaking.

Imagine getting Hughes version 3.0 in Luke. Not a top defenseman by any means, but that would be funny. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

I'd try to trade Detroit at 6 to move up and take whoever is left of Power, Benniers Eklund, edvinsson, Hughes, Clarke. 

If it's between Guenther, McTavish and Johnson, Its hard to chose. I'd probably go McTavish but I wouldn't be disappointed drafting any of them at 9. 

Also would be okay drafting Lambos at 9

3 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

I'd try to trade Detroit at 6 to move up and take whoever is left of Power, Benniers Eklund, edvinsson, Hughes, Clarke. 

If it's between Guenther, McTavish and Johnson, Its hard to chose. I'd probably go McTavish but I wouldn't be disappointed drafting any of them at 9. 

Also would be okay drafting Lambos at 9

What are our traceable assets to move up 3 spots?

Do you really want to trade our 2nd and a prospect like DiPietro to do it?