The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Yeah got similar vibes for Eklund. 

what do you think of Gunther?

Mckenzie is really high on the guy.  I haven’t seen him play that much and so I can’t really comment, but I trust and respect Bob’s judgment.  

Kent Johnson and Carson Lambos are still my preferences since both guys know how to drive play.  In Lambos’ case, his biggest strength is in knowing how to evade forecheck pressure while playing a solid two way game.   I think his relative lack of size (6’0 200) and sample size (he got injured from what I understand) is what pushed him down the rankings.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

On 6/2/2021 at 6:48 PM, Patel Bure said:

To be honest, I don’t think Edvinsson will be there by the time we’re up.  Carson Lambos has really impressed me so far.  I think he could be one of the hidden gems in this draft.

I dont trust WHL prospects. I rather pick from OHL but I think Eklund will be a player which we should pick if any major D man is gone before our pick is up.

• Cheers 1

My worry is that JB trades away our 9th pick for a "NOW player" - to try and save his job (as he's already in the doghouse and walking on thin ice) rather than keep the pick and select a player for the future (when he is likely not here).    Hope its the later.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 6:04 PM, Patel Bure said:

I’m going to go against the grain here and admit that I’m not high on Brandte Clarke.  Not a fan of his defensive game and I’m not sure if his offensive game, though great, is outstanding enough to justify his defensive inconsistencies. Not sold on McTavish either as I previously stated.

Eklund isn’t too bad though!

Was curious about Mctavish and watched a bunch of videos on him and came away really impressed kid has a hell of a shot and plays a really well-rounded game and man can this kid deflect shots and reminds me of Brady in front of the net. With Podz being an excellent playmaker, I could see them working well together. As far as the D go Edvisson is the one I find to be intriguing. I am not sold on Brandt and when I watched Luke I for sure don't see the offensive upside like Quinn and I found his D game lacking and even tho he's 6'2 he doesn't strike me as a physical player. Edvisson has the same fitness drive as Hoglander and inherited his parent's size and extreme fitness gene. Dads a cop who taught his kids MMA and the Mom is over six feet and apparently a freak of nature fitness wise as well. I know coaches always hype up their own but the same guys who had Dahlin say Simon in their opinion has a chance to be one of the beat D drafted out of Sweden. Zetterberg said when a scout asked about his ceiling, he replied along the lines of his ceiling is what you're wildest dream could imagine except in his case this dream has a chance of actually coming true. Moot tho I guess cause with Detroit and their exceptional Swedish scouts I doubt he gets past them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Was curious about Mctavish and watched a bunch of videos on him and came away really impressed kid has a hell of a shot and plays a really well-rounded game and man can this kid deflect shots and reminds me of Brady in front of the net. With Podz being an excellent playmaker, I could see them working well together. As far as the D go Edvisson is the one I find to be intriguing. I am not sold on Brandt and when I watched Luke I for sure don't see the offensive upside like Quinn and I found his D game lacking and even tho he's 6'2 he doesn't strike me as a physical player. Edvisson has the same fitness drive as Hoglander and inherited his parent's size and extreme fitness gene. Dads a cop who taught his kids MMA and the Mom is over six feet and apparently a freak of nature fitness wise as well. I know coaches always hype up their own but the same guys who had Dahlin say Simon in their opinion has a chance to be one of the beat D drafted out of Sweden. Zetterberg said when a scout asked about his ceiling, he replied along the lines of his ceiling is what you're wildest dream could imagine except in his case this dream has a chance of actually coming true. Moot tho I guess cause with Detroit and their exceptional Swedish scouts I doubt he gets past them.

I like your description of Edvinsson.  I’ve read he lacks hockey sense, so he might fall to us.  Low IQ in a D man is a serious problem.  

But, after reading your description of him, especially his family stuff) I’m hoping he does fall, and we get him.  Sounds exciting.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

My worry is that JB trades away our 9th pick for a "NOW player" - to try and save his job (as he's already in the doghouse and walking on thin ice) rather than keep the pick and select a player for the future (when he is likely not here).    Hope its the later.

If that pick+ lands us an extended Jones or straight across for Reinhart I'm fine with that. Benning since trading for Motte has been on a roll with his trades.

Plus I truly believe we are closer to being a top ten team than a bottom ten team and at some point we need to look at now not a prospect that may end up better than who we draft 3-4 years from now.

Adding a Sam or Seth now and then add another few pieces next season opens the window wide open. Tho I admit I would rather trade next year's first for upgrades if that is an option.

This season was not a true representation IMO of where we are and If Demko plays like he did after the first 19 games that should pretty much solidify a top 8 finish in the west, now if Podz, Rathbone perform well and we add a few good players along with the young core playing even better then I see no reason why we can't compete with the top teams in the west. 

As for Benning being on thin ice, I don't see it that way. Extending the coach and being told by the owner he has every option no matter the financial cost makes me think the owners feel the brutal schedule and the fact after Covid we played the rest of the season with as many as 9 regulars missing   and the cap not going up costing us TT, are the reason this season went so terribly.

Bringing in a new GM is no guarantee things would be any better and in fact quite the opposite since usually a new GM usually tries to put his own stamp on things.

When you look at the trades and drafting since the twins retired and Benning was allowed to rebuild, there are far more positives, TT was a good fit and would be here if the pandemic didn't happen and Ferland would have been exactly what this team needs, again not Jims fault. Letting Tanev and Marky walk and getting Nate and Hamomic for 6 million cheaper was a win, Highmore looked like a great fit and honestly if Jim was shortsighted and worried about his job he would of re-signed Tanev and Marky, and we would have lost Demko while adding two bad contracts as far as how they will look over the next few years. People say in hindsight of course that Jake should have been shown the door to sign TT even tho he alone wouldn't cover the TT deal and is 24 and was coming off a 20/goal 40 point season to sign a 29 year-old who has a career average of 23/goals. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like your description of Edvinsson.  I’ve read he lacks hockey sense, so he might fall to us.  Low IQ in a D man is a serious problem.  

But, after reading your description of him, especially his family stuff) I’m hoping he does fall, and we get him.  Sounds exciting.  

Ya the Athletic had a really great piece on him and after reading it and watching game tapes on him I was convinced. The coach and Zetteburg both brought up his IQ as one of his best tools. I think we both heard the IQ thing on HF where a poster took something out of context. The actual story was that he is so good at slowing down the game that it got mistaken for not thinking the game fast enough so when he made a play it seemed like he was taking to long to make a decision when in reality he is aware of all his options but is able to dictate at his pace if that makes any sense? Almost like thinking 2 steps ahead, like with Quinn when he skates the puck deep instead of just rushing the play by dumping it in.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Keep in mind two before covid he was being talked about as a possible #1 pick.

He was forced into playing in the SHL at 17 because there was nowhere else to play and only averaged 4 mins a game which hurt his stock. He had a really good game against Canada at the Under18s and flat out nailed a few guys.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Benning reaches a bit and takes Cuelemans at 9.  

interesting. He's the only other RHD in the 1st round. I wonder what kind of poop storm would ensue tho if McTavish was available at 9 and he did this? 

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting. He's the only other RHD in the 1st round. I wonder what kind of poop storm would ensue tho if McTavish was available at 9 and he did this? 

I'll trust the guy that's been scouting longer than most of the YouTube experts have been alive.  Especially in a draft like this, we are lucky to have his expertise in the driver's seat.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'll trust the guy that's been scouting longer than most of the YouTube experts have been alive.  Especially in a draft like this, we are lucky to have his expertise in the driver's seat.

agreed. Its just people get so entrenched in "their guy" this time of year the :frantic:'s are inevitable. 

I do think there are some folks on here that present really good info on players, or have seen them play in person. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

agreed. Its just people get so entrenched in "their guy" this time of year the :frantic:'s are inevitable. 

I do think there are some folks on here that present really good info on players, or have seen them play in person. 

I’ve seen this Jimmy McGill in action.:ph34r:  Wasn’t impressed.:P

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Yeah got similar vibes for Eklund. 

what do you think of Gunther?

Smaller sample size this year but his work in the WHL this year was elite and I think could become an top line scoring winger. Kinda reminds me of Filip Forsberg.  

• Vintage 2

48 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I like Kent Johnson.

I also really like Kent Johnson for the 9th pick if he is available. Great offensive skills, responsible in his own end and a great skater. I also really like Logan Mailloux for our 2nd round pick.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I don't think he's going to do that. Nowhere in his history has he shown to do that for his first round picks.

Edit: I should clarify that Miller is the only exception, but was otherwise a middle first round pick. It would've been even lower had we won the Vegas series.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Who puts a doghouse on thin ice? That's just mean to dogs. 

• Haha 1