Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

This draft could go any which way with the limited data to go on. It's going to be fun to watch.

 

My Canuck pick list in order:
1 Beniers
2 Eklund
3 Clarke
4 Guenther
5 Hughes
6 Power

7 Edvinsson
8 McTavish
9 Lysell

 

How I see the draft actually unfolding:
1 Power
2 Beniers
3 Clarke
4 Hughes
5 Johnson
6 Wallstedt
7 Eklund
8 Guenther

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think 2 of Johnson, McTavish and Guenther will be available when we pick. Cant go wrong with any but I’d take them in the order I listed. I hope we don’t reach for a Dman if the top 4 are gone and hopefully Wallstedt goes ahead of us to give us an extra option. Don’t trade the pick JB! Take one of these guys 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I think 2 of Johnson, McTavish and Guenther will be available when we pick. Cant go wrong with any but I’d take them in the order I listed. I hope we don’t reach for a Dman if the top 4 are gone and hopefully Wallstedt goes ahead of us to give us an extra option. Don’t trade the pick JB! Take one of these guys 

I have Detroit penciled in to take Wallstedt, but you never know. I'm not sure Columbus will risk a Euro player, which is why I think they might take Johnson. I think McTavish, Guenther and/or a couple others might be available at 9.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I have Detroit penciled in to take Wallstedt, but you never know. I'm not sure Columbus will risk a Euro player, which is why I think they might take Johnson. I think McTavish, Guenther and/or a couple others might be available at 9.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Wings took Wallstedt at 6 at all but with having that 2nd first round pick at 23 they might opt to take Cossa there or use that pick to trade up a few spots and take Cossa while landing a high upside guy at 6. If I had to bet I think they take Eklund but who really knows. Very excited to find out though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://hockeyprospect.com/2021-nhl-draft-rankings/

 

1 Power Owen Michigan NCAA 6'06" 214 LD
2 Edvinsson Simon Vasteras Allsvenskan 6'04" 198 LD
3 Beniers Matthew Michigan NCAA 6'01" 174 C/LW
4 Johnson Kent Michigan NCAA 6'00" 166 LW/C
5 Guenther Dylan Edmonton WHL 6'00" 166 RW
6 Eklund William Djurgardens IF SHL 5'10" 176 LW
7 Cossa Sebastian Edmonton WHL 6'04" 212 G
8 McTavish Mason Peterborough OHL 6'00" 198 LW
9 Hughes Luke USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'02" 176 LD
10 Sillinger Cole Sioux Falls USHL 6'00" 190 C
11 Coronato Matt Chicago USHL 5'10" 180 LW
12 Clarke Brandt Barrie OHL 6'01' 180 RD
13 Lucius Chaz USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'00" 172 C/RW
14 Wallstedt Jesper Lulea HF SHL 6'03" 209 G
15 Mailloux Logan London OHL 6'03" 212 RD
16 Heimosalmi Aleksi Assat U20 SM-sarja 5'11" 170 RD
17 Knies Matthew Tri City USHL 6'03" 205 C/LW
18 Olausson Oskar Sodertalje Allsvenskan 6'01" 177 LW
19 Lysell Fabian Luela HF SHL 5'10" 172 RW
20 Othmann Brennan Flint OHL 5'11" 170 LW
21 Dean Zachary Gatineau QMJHL 6'00" 176 LW
22 Robertsson Simon Skelletftea SHL 6'00" 190 RW
23 Buium Shai Sioux City USHL 6'04" 205 LD
24 Lambos Carson Winnipeg WHL 6'00" 200 LD
25 Stromgren William Modo AIK Allsvenskan 6'03" 175 LW
26 Bolduc Zachary Rimouski QMJHL 6'01" 175 LW
27 Johnson Brent Sioux Falls USHL 5'11" 165 RD
28 Boucher Tyler USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'01" 200 LW
29 Ceulemans Corson Brooks AJHL 6'02" 192 RD
30 Svechkov Fyodor Lada Togliatti VHL 6'00" 187 C/LW
31 Chayka Daniil CSKA Moskva KHL 6'02" 187 LD
32 Grushnikov Artyom Hamilton OHL 6'02" 174 LD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

https://hockeyprospect.com/2021-nhl-draft-rankings/

 

1 Power Owen Michigan NCAA 6'06" 214 LD
2 Edvinsson Simon Vasteras Allsvenskan 6'04" 198 LD
3 Beniers Matthew Michigan NCAA 6'01" 174 C/LW
4 Johnson Kent Michigan NCAA 6'00" 166 LW/C
5 Guenther Dylan Edmonton WHL 6'00" 166 RW
6 Eklund William Djurgardens IF SHL 5'10" 176 LW
7 Cossa Sebastian Edmonton WHL 6'04" 212 G
8 McTavish Mason Peterborough OHL 6'00" 198 LW
9 Hughes Luke USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'02" 176 LD
10 Sillinger Cole Sioux Falls USHL 6'00" 190 C
11 Coronato Matt Chicago USHL 5'10" 180 LW
12 Clarke Brandt Barrie OHL 6'01' 180 RD
13 Lucius Chaz USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'00" 172 C/RW
14 Wallstedt Jesper Lulea HF SHL 6'03" 209 G
15 Mailloux Logan London OHL 6'03" 212 RD
16 Heimosalmi Aleksi Assat U20 SM-sarja 5'11" 170 RD
17 Knies Matthew Tri City USHL 6'03" 205 C/LW
18 Olausson Oskar Sodertalje Allsvenskan 6'01" 177 LW
19 Lysell Fabian Luela HF SHL 5'10" 172 RW
20 Othmann Brennan Flint OHL 5'11" 170 LW
21 Dean Zachary Gatineau QMJHL 6'00" 176 LW
22 Robertsson Simon Skelletftea SHL 6'00" 190 RW
23 Buium Shai Sioux City USHL 6'04" 205 LD
24 Lambos Carson Winnipeg WHL 6'00" 200 LD
25 Stromgren William Modo AIK Allsvenskan 6'03" 175 LW
26 Bolduc Zachary Rimouski QMJHL 6'01" 175 LW
27 Johnson Brent Sioux Falls USHL 5'11" 165 RD
28 Boucher Tyler USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'01" 200 LW
29 Ceulemans Corson Brooks AJHL 6'02" 192 RD
30 Svechkov Fyodor Lada Togliatti VHL 6'00" 187 C/LW
31 Chayka Daniil CSKA Moskva KHL 6'02" 187 LD
32 Grushnikov Artyom Hamilton OHL 6'02" 174 LD

All the rankings differ. I think Wallstedt goes ahead of Cossa but who knows. If Cossa goes before 18-19 I’d be really surprised 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I sure hope not, but he may desperate enough to try and get a "NOW" player in exchange for our 9th pick so he can produce some type of result next season to avoid an eighth disastrous season under his reign and try to hang on to his job because I suspect he really only has one more year in Aqua-lini's mind (despite his remaining 2 year contract) to bring some type of success to this franchise.  Fingers crossed!

An 8th disastrous season?... Did you think going to within 1 game of the conference finals was a disastrous season... wonder what it would take for you to think it was a successful season... 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm warming up more and more to the idea of McTavish...if he can take a step in his skating I can see him being a very good 2c/3c for us (With Bo mentoring his development). Arg...this year is such a crapshoot...

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

All the rankings differ. I think Wallstedt goes ahead of Cossa but who knows. If Cossa goes before 18-19 I’d be really surprised 

That list is very .... unique.

Raty isn't even in the first round?

Cossa 7th?.

 

It looks off to me, but the beauty of all this is that we won't know for years and years.

 

In any case, i wouldn't be upset with Luke Hughes at 9

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The last time the Vancouver Canucks picked 9th overall, they picked their future captain.

 

I’m not worried.

 

There should always be a bit of worry imo...

 

OJ selected over Tkachuk = bad choice

Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander= bad choice

 

Hughes fell to us, Arizona had a teenager making draft selections...and Detroit went for Zadina over Hughes for some reason...

Petey= surprised most of us as Glass seemed like the guy to take, so that was what I like to call a SMRT selection

Boeser= good pick for sure

McCann= bad choice since you dealt him early on for a slow, useless D and gave up 2 other picks while supposedly trying to rebuild...

 

Where are our NHL players drafted outside round 1 for us over the last 6 years? Round 2 Demko and Hoglander then Rathbone in Round 4 that is it....that is quite sad if you ask me from a team that was supposed to be rebuilding and gaining more picks yet we dealt picks out while rebuilding...

 

There is cause for some concern with our drafting history imo from top 10 selection to round 7.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2021 at 7:17 AM, DeNiro said:

I just can’t see us passing on Johnson if he’s on the board in that scenario.

 

His numbers along with his skill set can’t be ignored.

Plus in interview he said his favourite team is of course hometown canucks and favourite player Petey. He plays stylistically like Petey/Kane cross, why not have 1 more canadian version of Petey. Plus he can play wing which is a plus.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

There should always be a bit of worry imo...

 

OJ selected over Tkachuk = bad choice

Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander= bad choice

 

Hughes fell to us, Arizona had a teenager making draft selections...and Detroit went for Zadina over Hughes for some reason...

Petey= surprised most of us as Glass seemed like the guy to take, so that was what I like to call a SMRT selection

Boeser= good pick for sure

McCann= bad choice since you dealt him early on for a slow, useless D and gave up 2 other picks while supposedly trying to rebuild...

 

Where are our NHL players drafted outside round 1 for us over the last 6 years? Round 2 Demko and Hoglander then Rathbone in Round 4 that is it....that is quite sad if you ask me from a team that was supposed to be rebuilding and gaining more picks yet we dealt picks out while rebuilding...

 

There is cause for some concern with our drafting history imo from top 10 selection to round 7.

 

Exactly lol most here wanted Glass Glass lol because of size etc. where is he now? Lots of people said Petey was too skinny etc., this year I feel many people want Mactavish, Guenther wow size etc. Johnson is this years Petey we will regret not taking this guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

There should always be a bit of worry imo...

 

OJ selected over Tkachuk = bad choice

Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander= bad choice

 

Hughes fell to us, Arizona had a teenager making draft selections...and Detroit went for Zadina over Hughes for some reason...

Petey= surprised most of us as Glass seemed like the guy to take, so that was what I like to call a SMRT selection

Boeser= good pick for sure

McCann= bad choice since you dealt him early on for a slow, useless D and gave up 2 other picks while supposedly trying to rebuild...

 

Where are our NHL players drafted outside round 1 for us over the last 6 years? Round 2 Demko and Hoglander then Rathbone in Round 4 that is it....that is quite sad if you ask me from a team that was supposed to be rebuilding and gaining more picks yet we dealt picks out while rebuilding...

 

There is cause for some concern with our drafting history imo from top 10 selection to round 7.

 

Not fair. Tryamkin  is a guy who was properly evaluated talent wise but clearly doesnt want to play over here. 

 

Gaudette is what he is. A 2c who puts up 40 pts while not doing anything else like win faceoffs or be responsible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm not a fan of Benning but why do people keep saying Hughes was an obvious pick? People in this forum were polled who they thought the second best dman of that draft was and Hughes came third after Boqvist, and Bouchard (Dahlin was consensus 1st pick):
 


It only seems obvious in hindsight and a discredit to Benning's drafting skills. 

Edited by AK_19
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, deepbluefunk said:

That list is very .... unique.

Raty isn't even in the first round?

Cossa 7th?.

 

It looks off to me, but the beauty of all this is that we won't know for years and years.

 

In any case, i wouldn't be upset with Luke Hughes at 9

 

 

 

Yeah I thought it was a different list then most would have as well. Hughes would be one of my top choices in this draft, particularly for Van but I don’t like his chances of being available to us unfortunately 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

https://hockeyprospect.com/2021-nhl-draft-rankings/

 

1 Power Owen Michigan NCAA 6'06" 214 LD
2 Edvinsson Simon Vasteras Allsvenskan 6'04" 198 LD
3 Beniers Matthew Michigan NCAA 6'01" 174 C/LW
4 Johnson Kent Michigan NCAA 6'00" 166 LW/C
5 Guenther Dylan Edmonton WHL 6'00" 166 RW
6 Eklund William Djurgardens IF SHL 5'10" 176 LW
7 Cossa Sebastian Edmonton WHL 6'04" 212 G
8 McTavish Mason Peterborough OHL 6'00" 198 LW
9 Hughes Luke USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'02" 176 LD
10 Sillinger Cole Sioux Falls USHL 6'00" 190 C
11 Coronato Matt Chicago USHL 5'10" 180 LW
12 Clarke Brandt Barrie OHL 6'01' 180 RD
13 Lucius Chaz USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'00" 172 C/RW
14 Wallstedt Jesper Lulea HF SHL 6'03" 209 G
15 Mailloux Logan London OHL 6'03" 212 RD
16 Heimosalmi Aleksi Assat U20 SM-sarja 5'11" 170 RD
17 Knies Matthew Tri City USHL 6'03" 205 C/LW
18 Olausson Oskar Sodertalje Allsvenskan 6'01" 177 LW
19 Lysell Fabian Luela HF SHL 5'10" 172 RW
20 Othmann Brennan Flint OHL 5'11" 170 LW
21 Dean Zachary Gatineau QMJHL 6'00" 176 LW
22 Robertsson Simon Skelletftea SHL 6'00" 190 RW
23 Buium Shai Sioux City USHL 6'04" 205 LD
24 Lambos Carson Winnipeg WHL 6'00" 200 LD
25 Stromgren William Modo AIK Allsvenskan 6'03" 175 LW
26 Bolduc Zachary Rimouski QMJHL 6'01" 175 LW
27 Johnson Brent Sioux Falls USHL 5'11" 165 RD
28 Boucher Tyler USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'01" 200 LW
29 Ceulemans Corson Brooks AJHL 6'02" 192 RD
30 Svechkov Fyodor Lada Togliatti VHL 6'00" 187 C/LW
31 Chayka Daniil CSKA Moskva KHL 6'02" 187 LD
32 Grushnikov Artyom Hamilton OHL 6'02" 174 LD

This draft year is such a dogs breakfast. If Luke is there at nine, the Canucks run to the bank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I'm not a fan of Benning but why do people keep saying Hughes was an obvious pick? People in this forum were polled who they thought the second best dman of that draft was and Hughes came third after Boqvist, and Bouchard (Dahlin was consensus 1st pick):
 


It only seems obvious in hindsight and a discredit to Benning's drafting skills. 

I voted for Hughesy. Nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...