The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

https://hockeyprospect.com/2021-nhl-draft-rankings/

1 Power Owen Michigan NCAA 6'06" 214 LD
2 Edvinsson Simon Vasteras Allsvenskan 6'04" 198 LD
3 Beniers Matthew Michigan NCAA 6'01" 174 C/LW
4 Johnson Kent Michigan NCAA 6'00" 166 LW/C
5 Guenther Dylan Edmonton WHL 6'00" 166 RW
6 Eklund William Djurgardens IF SHL 5'10" 176 LW
7 Cossa Sebastian Edmonton WHL 6'04" 212 G
8 McTavish Mason Peterborough OHL 6'00" 198 LW
9 Hughes Luke USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'02" 176 LD
10 Sillinger Cole Sioux Falls USHL 6'00" 190 C
11 Coronato Matt Chicago USHL 5'10" 180 LW
12 Clarke Brandt Barrie OHL 6'01' 180 RD
13 Lucius Chaz USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'00" 172 C/RW
14 Wallstedt Jesper Lulea HF SHL 6'03" 209 G
15 Mailloux Logan London OHL 6'03" 212 RD
16 Heimosalmi Aleksi Assat U20 SM-sarja 5'11" 170 RD
17 Knies Matthew Tri City USHL 6'03" 205 C/LW
18 Olausson Oskar Sodertalje Allsvenskan 6'01" 177 LW
19 Lysell Fabian Luela HF SHL 5'10" 172 RW
20 Othmann Brennan Flint OHL 5'11" 170 LW
21 Dean Zachary Gatineau QMJHL 6'00" 176 LW
22 Robertsson Simon Skelletftea SHL 6'00" 190 RW
23 Buium Shai Sioux City USHL 6'04" 205 LD
24 Lambos Carson Winnipeg WHL 6'00" 200 LD
25 Stromgren William Modo AIK Allsvenskan 6'03" 175 LW
26 Bolduc Zachary Rimouski QMJHL 6'01" 175 LW
27 Johnson Brent Sioux Falls USHL 5'11" 165 RD
28 Boucher Tyler USNTDP U-18 NTDP 6'01" 200 LW
29 Ceulemans Corson Brooks AJHL 6'02" 192 RD
30 Svechkov Fyodor Lada Togliatti VHL 6'00" 187 C/LW
31 Chayka Daniil CSKA Moskva KHL 6'02" 187 LD
32 Grushnikov Artyom Hamilton OHL 6'02" 174 LD

This list both pleases me, and disappoints me. I like that it shows that Cllarke *might* still be available when the Canucks are on the clock. The disappointment is that Mailloux shows to be higher in the selection order - I had hopes of possibly grabbing him in the second round where he is on some lists. Perhaps a deal could be worked out to get a second 1st round pick and perhaps draft Lambos...

2 hours ago, AK_19 said:

I'm pretty concerned with Johnson after looking at this: 

This video shows me that Johnson is a very talented guy, who could also become the newest poster child for, "the team failed (player) by not putting him in a position to succeed" club (previous members include Hodgson, Shinkaruk, Shirokov, Grabner, Gaudette). If it is going to take five or six years for this guy to figure things out, then I'd prefer a d-man.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

JB is shopping the #9 pick, according to Ben Kuzman.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-june-4-2021/

Not that I'm against trading the pick this year if the right Deal is there but weight till the 8th pick is off the board first encase something wild happens and the Player you never thought would still be available is there . Esp this year  just sayin 

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

1 hour ago, Nurnge said:

Not that I'm against trading the pick this year if the right Deal is there but weight till the 8th pick is off the board first encase something wild happens and the Player you never thought would still be available is there . Esp this year  just sayin 

If the right deal came along, I believe I'd happily trade the 9th, regardless of which prospect was there. 

For example, it TB wanted to trade one of their young, right-side d-men (Sergachev, Cernak, Foote) then a good case could be made for a trade. TB gets cap relief (which seems to be a perpetual goal according to many) and a higher pick which may be used to acquire a replacement for the traded player. The Canucks would get a right side d-man with size and ability who can play now (rather than wait 3 - 4 years while he gets his feet under him), and who fits in the age range of the current core. Potentially, other assets depending on which of the three was being moved).could also be added to the Canucks (other prospects/picks, and/or a player), with at least one contract from the Canucks side going to TB to balance that aspect of the business. ** Sergachev would likely not be available, but it don't hurt to dream a little **

I don't believe I'd wait for the amateur draft, except to try and milk additional value if there was a bidding war for the pick. I'd rather not have some other team scoop a deal from under us. Where I would be concerned is with the expansion draft, which would mean that a d-man who is currently protected by the Canucks would have to be left off of their list. So there would be the gamble, (probably) protect Schmidt, Juolevi and the new d-man, and leave Myers off the list and hope his contract protects him from being selected by Seattle.

On the other hand, if the deal was a swap 1sts, maybe add a 2nd and/or a 3rd, and a prospect of some sort, then I might be inclined to tell them to go pound sand.

regards,  G.

On 6/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, deepbluefunk said:

Kent Johnson

6'1 | 167 lbs

unbelievable hands, vision, creativity

slight frame

Craig Button even calls his NHL comparable is Pettersson take that for whatever you want). Picking him would be doubling do on the intense skill level side of the team (Petey, Hughes, Hogs) as opposed to a McTavish pick which would be more in the Horvat or Podkolzin mode.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2021-nhl-draft/2021-draft-profile-lw-c-kent-johnson/

• Like 1

Jim said that they would look at trading the pick. I think they say that every  year. He also said it would have to be for a really good YOUNG player . Not much chance of that happening.  Wait, what does Jim call young?

Jim supposedly said that they like 9 players in the first round. Let's count this out. We select ninth and there is nine players they like so there is a good chance a player that they like will be there.

It would be interesting to get a look at their list.

Kent Johnson is a very skilled player but. There is a whole bunch of buts that could interfere with NHL success. 

However , he could be a real star on the farm .

I understand why some are apprehensive about McTavish but if he was successful at the NHL level he would fill a big whole and our team would be very solid down the middle for years to come.

Jim and company may be looking at players that we think are farther down the list. It is that kind of year.

16 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

Exactly lol most here wanted Glass Glass lol because of size etc. where is he now? Lots of people said Petey was too skinny etc., this year I feel many people want Mactavish, Guenther wow size etc. Johnson is this years Petey we will regret not taking this guy.

Petey also been getting hurt every year, something similar to how Brock started his career. Need players to play with our top end talent and not allow the cheap shots to happen. Will just lead to worse stuff especially when the refs call less during the post season and the whistle goes away more and more with every round you advance.

I just don't want a repeat of 2011 down the road and see our best players get pushed around and nobody do a damn thing about it...

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Umm that article just quotes Benning himself who said he would consider trading it for a really good young player.

Let’s not give Kuzma credit here.

Umm, not giving credit to anybody just citing the source I read. Didn't see or hear the quote directly from JB so can’t credit him. It will be interesting to see if anything materializes from this, what offers come in, and who/what JB might accept in exchange for #9. 

12 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

I have listened to this interview. What Benning said was much more akin to, if the perfect deal comes up we would consider all options. Certainly not shopping the pick, more willing to listen to offers and make a move of it was a deal they couldn't pass up. Least that's how I interpreted what he said.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

This list both pleases me, and disappoints me. I like that it shows that Cllarke *might* still be available when the Canucks are on the clock. The disappointment is that Mailloux shows to be higher in the selection order - I had hopes of possibly grabbing him in the second round where he is on some lists. Perhaps a deal could be worked out to get a second 1st round pick and perhaps draft Lambos...

regards,  G.

It's just one of the lists that I'd weigh considerably more heavily than some of the flakier, google scouts that compose lists - as well as virtually all the reasonably 'professional' independent scouting services. 

It doesn't necessarily have 'predictive' value - because NHL franchises tend to not give a flying crap what amateur or third party professional scouting services think.  

As for trading the pick - I doubt they will.

I think trading that pick would require a few dominos to precur.

I would support dealing that pick if it brings a Cal Foote to Vancouver.

However - the cost of that deal would not end there unfortunately - because it would mean protecting Foote and exposing one of Juolevi (no thanks), Schmidt or Myers.  I'm not in the crew that would happily dump any of our veteran defensemen - but a loss there could potentially be mitigated by taking that cap space back into the market - or pre-empting that loss by dealing one of those veterans for a return pre-e.d. (if possible).  If that were to occur, I'd "expect" an unflattering return, somewhat like the minimal cost it took to acquire Schmidt in the first place.

The second alternative would be to deal that pick for a forward.  This interests me less - although if folks put the same energy into those possibilities as we do looking for a RHD partner for Hughes, there may be a viable deal or two out there that could make sense.  The team can afford to bump the bottom of the forward protection list down a spot imo - but what I wouldn't be interested in is fact that we'd be conceding ELC years and using a principal asset to acquire what is probably not the team's principal need.  I think a forward addition can probably be accomplished at far lesser cost than the 9th overall - so when it comes to going to the market for a forward, I'd be looking for a more opportune target that costs less and is likely a second line or secondary/foundation/support type player as opposed to a big ticket (but it's sometimes impossible to rule all possibilities out).

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I have listened to this interview. What Benning said was much more akin to, if the perfect deal comes up we would consider all options. Certainly not shopping the pick, more willing to listen to offers and make a move of it was a deal they couldn't pass up. Least that's how I interpreted what he said.

If he says “we’re going to call other teams” that sounds more like shopping and being open to offers rather than passively waiting to see if others contact him. I don’t have a problem with this. If he picks at #9 I’m confident we will get a very good prospect. If he can flip it for a proven young player and a later pick I’m ok with that as well. There are a lot of holes that need filling.

In this particular draft at #9, many options. Mason MacTavish has moved up the rankings, and guys like Kent Johnson or Dylan Guenther could fall right to us. I would love if the Canucks somehow got a hold of defenceman Brandt Clarke, but I think he goes a little higher. My sleeper, Fabian Lysell, who would look great on a 3rd line with Podkolzin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

If he says “we’re going to call other teams” that sounds more like shopping and being open to offers rather than passively waiting to see if others contact him. I don’t have a problem with this. If he picks at #9 I’m confident we will get a very good prospect. If he can flip it for a proven young player and a later pick I’m ok with that as well. There are a lot of holes that need filling.

I'd wager that every general manger in the league calls every other general manager in the league before the draft. I stick behind my assessment of how i interpreted what he said. If someone blows his socks off, sure we could trade it. But I definitely don't think it's being actively shopped based off that interview.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

In this particular draft at #9, many options. Mason MacTavish has moved up the rankings, and guys like Kent Johnson or Dylan Guenther could fall right to us. I would love if the Canucks somehow got a hold of defenceman Brandt Clarke, but I think he goes a little higher. My sleeper, Fabian Lysell, who would look great on a 3rd line with Podkolzin.

Interesting to note that quite a few mock drafts I’ve seen have the Canucks taking Brandt Clarke at number nine. I think it comes down to Clarke or MacTavish, who reminds me of a more physical Bo Horvat.

• Like 3

On 6/2/2021 at 6:17 PM, DeNiro said:

Just hope it’s obvious like “wow I can’t believe he’s still there”

Like with the Hughes or Podkolzin pick.

It won't be obvious this year. Most blind draft in history.  Nobody really knows who should really go where.