The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I like hearing the Canucks value compete so high.  No matter who we select he will work his hardest off the ice to be his best on the ice.  I think of our first rounders only Jake lacks that inner compete.  And Benning likely corrected that in our scouts ASAP.  No more guys who will not compete to be their best.  

Yes JV was not a good pick unfortunately.   Podz is going to be a winner for us, his floor is middle six, first line PKer.   We need that.   His ceiling hello Rick Nash 2.0.   

McTavish/Berniers/LH/Clarke is my best case from this draft.   Of those guys McTavish is probably the guy we realistically get given the aggregate rankings.    Have to be humble about this too.   Horvat and Hamilton were the best 9th overalls the last decade of drafting.     Feel we have good odds at a support player from this pick,  ok odds as a top six guy from it.   Low odds for anything more.    Moving up would help that somewhat if we can land Clarke.   But we also need C's.  

We could trade down and take two flyers from the bottom third of the first round too.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

That report a couple of pages ago on Johnson is concerning. I know he's very skilled, but I'm not sure it translates to the NHL: He's also a homeboy, please don't pick him JB.

Get one of these guys, or trade the pick:

1. Power

2. Hughes

3. Beneirs

4. Clarke

5. Eklund

6. McTavish

7. Guenther

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Moving up would help that somewhat if we can land Clarke.  

Detroit might be our sweet spot there if Clarke's still available at 6. It shouldn't be prohibitively expensive to move up and they can slide down, still grab Wally/Cossa plus add an asset or two.

As bad as Jake is. The team got 317 games out of him. 

That's only 11 off of Hodgson.

That's also 316 more than Jason Herter.

And 312 more than Dan Woodley. 

Hell we got more mileage out of Jake than Brad Ference. 

Jake's biggest issue is between the ears. There's been previous GM's that have blown first rounders. Given that the same GM has drafted 5th rounders that played at the NHL level. He's pretty good at finding talent. 

I hope Kent Johnson falls to us. Brandt Clarke is a pipe dream. But some weird stuff will probably happen this draft. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wonder who the 9 guys are.

Noah Dobson, Owen Tippett,....etc. ? Maybe a bit older? Reinhart? Ekblad?

Benning said "We're going to call other teams and I know we're going to get a real good player at No. 9. We're going to have to get a young player who we feel is worth trading the pick."

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That report a couple of pages ago on Johnson is concerning. I know he's very skilled, but I'm not sure it translates to the NHL: He's also a homeboy, please don't pick him JB.

Get one of these guys, or trade the pick:

1. Power

2. Hughes

3. Beneirs

4. Clarke

5. Eklund

6. McTavish

7. Guenther

Id feel very lucky if Johnson was there at 9, he has elite skill. I think it will translate to the NHL just fine based on his success in the NCAA in his draft year. NCAA is a very tough league for an 17-18 year old. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Noah Dobson, Owen Tippett,....etc. ? Maybe a bit older? Reinhart? Ekblad?

Benning said "We're going to call other teams and I know we're going to get a real good player at No. 9. We're going to have to get a young player who we feel is worth trading the pick."

Florida might trade Ekblad?  Wouldn't he cost, in trade, a lot more than just our top pick?  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Florida might trade Ekblad?  Wouldn't he cost, in trade, a lot more than just our top pick?  

Oh yeah, I would imagine it would be costly. Maybe something like our #9, Myers and ???

Hughes - Ekblad pairing would be cool 

I have no idea what Benning is thinking or doing, but he did say they would be aggressive, and he is calling other teams about the No. 9.  

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes JV was not a good pick unfortunately.   Podz is going to be a winner for us, his floor is middle six, first line PKer.   We need that.   His ceiling hello Rick Nash 2.0.   

McTavish/Berniers/LH/Clarke is my best case from this draft.   Of those guys McTavish is probably the guy we realistically get given the aggregate rankings.    Have to be humble about this too.   Horvat and Hamilton were the best 9th overalls the last decade of drafting.     Feel we have good odds at a support player from this pick,  ok odds as a top six guy from it.   Low odds for anything more.    Moving up would help that somewhat if we can land Clarke.   But we also need C's.  

We could trade down and take two flyers from the bottom third of the first round too.   

No love for Guenther?..

I think a sniper with size, who is actually able to PK as well, sound promising to me...

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wonder who the 9 guys are.enning m

Power

Beniers

Clarke

Eklund

Guenther

Johnson

Edvinsson

McTavish

Wallstedt?

Benning might also be playing Poker...

He might not even be sure, if there are nine good players, but if he is to trade the pick, he'll try to get maximum return. And he won't get that if he says there's only 6-7 really good players in the draft....

Like wise if he think there are 12-13 good players...

Edited by spook007
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Id feel very lucky if Johnson was there at 9, he has elite skill. I think it will translate to the NHL just fine based on his success in the NCAA in his draft year. NCAA is a very tough league for an 17-18 year old. 

I'm not as high on Johnson, but he could be this years EP.    Rather him then Eklund at least he can grow into his frame.   Johnson is right where we are supposed to pick, 8th by THN, 9th by ISS so won't be surprised at all if he's still around.     

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

That's the part that's amazing. Freshmen rarely get ice time, and he was a point a game. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Benning might also be playing Poker...

He might not even be sure, if there are nine good players, but if he is to trade the pick, he'll try to get maximum return. And he won't get that if he says there's only 6-7 really good players in the draft....

Like wise if he think there are 12-13 good players...

Yep.   There are five guys after Power that look like they are a level up, then a tier down right around where we pick.   One of the strangest drafts i've ever seen since the lack of sample size for these guys.   Over an entire season you can absolutely be sure some would slip, and some would enter the top ten and even top five that nobody at all is talking about.   Look at Chychrun.   Was talked about as a possible first overall before his last year (because he was monster sized - playing against kids).    He fell right out of the top ten his draft year.    Sure this draft is going to look nothing at all like the actual draft in a re-draft five years from now.   More so then most drafts.    Trading the pick...sure JB isn't the only one considering this. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   There are five guys after Power that look like they are a level up, then a tier down right around where we pick.   One of the strangest drafts i've ever seen since the lack of sample size for these guys.   Over an entire season you can absolutely be sure some would slip, and some would enter the top ten and even top five that nobody at all is talking about. 

Yep totally expect that to be the case, in a few years.... Think there will be a few dangling their picks this year due to the uncertainty...

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I like hearing the Canucks value compete so high.  No matter who we select he will work his hardest off the ice to be his best on the ice.  I think of our first rounders only Jake lacks that inner compete.  And Benning likely corrected that in our scouts ASAP.  No more guys who will not compete to be their best.  

Which makes me wonder why we ever selected Jake, as his compete level in the NHL or AHL has been very hit and miss. So was the WHL and him being a man amongst boys just masking this issue because his mature body and speed made him harder to cover?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1