The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

Which makes me wonder why we ever selected Jake, as his compete level in the NHL or AHL has been very hit and miss. So was the WHL and him being a man amongst boys just masking this issue because his mature body and speed made him harder to cover?

He was an enigma his draft year too.   In the end his career is close to forfeit now, but he was awfully close to passing the bust line without Covid and his issues.   500 games 4-6.     Could have become a Torres type minus the dirty hits.   Nothing at all different then Chris Phillips going first overall and playing well over 1000 games.   Not what your hoping for, but not a bust either.   All considered, yes he's now officially a bust for the Canucks.   We won't be able to trade him.   And big doubts Seattle will take him either.    Sad for a lot a reasons really,  mercurial player and such a waste.      At least we righted the boat. 

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Brandt Clarke?

If there’s an opportunity to join the rush, he does it; if there isn’t, he creates one and joins anyway - EPRinkside.com 2021

Won't be their at 9.   Think we could trade up to six and get one of him or LHs or Berniers though.    That might be JB best play other then selling the pick  for the right piece. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm not as high on Johnson, but he could be this years EP.    Rather him then Eklund at least he can grow into his frame.   Johnson is right where we are supposed to pick, 8th by THN, 9th by ISS so won't be surprised at all if he's still around.     

Also very high on Eklund, both players put up ridiculously good numbers in two extremely hard and physical leagues. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

8 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Which makes me wonder why we ever selected Jake, as his compete level in the NHL or AHL has been very hit and miss. So was the WHL and him being a man amongst boys just masking this issue because his mature body and speed made him harder to cover?

Canucks were being criticized as a soft team back then and with Benning's first pick he wanted to select a power forward with some decent size and grit. I think it was a knee-jerk reaction at the time to fix a problem. Shoulda, coulda, woulda gone with Tuch instead, or that Nylander kid. 

Edited by NUCKER67

14 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Also very high on Eklund, both players put up ridiculous good numbers in two extremely hard and physical leagues. 

Eklund scares me.   ISS has him at 10.   They and THN create a baseline for me at least (THN takes the average of ten NHL scouts in their ranking system) ... yes he could be something for sure.   The fact he's a LW also helps us.   Either going to be him or Johnson that could be this years EP.    But have massive doubts that is the case for both of them.   I wouldn't call SHL or any Swedish league that physical, hard yes.   A top league.   

Lol.  But i don't know anything.  If i was picking we'd have MT, Glass, Bouchard and Podz the last four first rounders 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hughes I think will be one of the nine.  

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Hughes?

Whoops, glaring omission :picard:

That leaves it down to McTavish/Wallstedt for the 9th I'd think.

I'd lean McTavish b/c of position, but Wallstedt as a prospect may be worthy of being in the group 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

43 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Also very high on Eklund, both players put up ridiculously good numbers in two extremely hard and physical leagues. 

Eklund could be the puck control, and zone entry winger we need for Bo.  Bo creates a lot of space and a winger with Eklund's skills might be the ideal compliment to Bo's game.

• Cheers 2

If recent past drafts are any indication on Draft day teams tend you go with the forwards over the d men in there tiers from what I've observed . I do see a very good chance the one of the LHD is still available at 9 [ Not Powers] and an outside chance of Clarke on the other hand I don't see either goalie going in the top down unless some trades down which hardly ever happens near the top of the daft on or near draft day anymore .

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Edvinson the D who is most likely to fall?  Just thinking the knock on him is lack of hockey sense, and that's not the concern with the other top D.  

Not likely.  THN has him at 2, and ISS at 3.   This guys Edler 2.0 and somebodies going to draft him ... if he does slip we draft him.    Alf you just never do know.   Yes this years Broberg.   Says a lot about the draft class doesn't it? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Whoops, glaring omission :picard:

That leaves it down to McTavish/Wallstedt for the 9th I'd think.

I'd lean McTavish b/c of position, but Wallstedt as a prospect may be worthy of being in the group 

Any team in the 3-8 region that wants a goalie will pick him.   If they don't (that's you Detroit) then he just could very well end up the BPA at 9.   Doubt we take him but OTT will for sure do that.   JB in this case could trade down one spot.   DET and OTT are teams that would draft this guy in the top ten. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Eklund scares me.   ISS has him at 10.   They and THN create a baseline for me at least (THN takes the average of ten NHL scouts in their ranking system) ... yes he could be something for sure.   The fact he's a LW also helps us.   Either going to be him or Johnson that could be this years EP.    But have massive doubts that is the case for both of them.   I wouldn't call SHL or any Swedish league that physical, hard yes.   A top league.   

Lol.  But i don't know anything.  If i was picking we'd have MT, Glass, Bouchard and Podz the last four first rounders 

SHL is not known for its physicality and the open ice allows you to avoid it easier, but any time you play in a top pro league with grown men you need to have the strength to win battles. Eklund is a boy playing against men in that league.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not likely.  THN has him at 2, and ISS at 3.   This guys Edler 2.0 and somebodies going to draft him ... if he does slip we draft him.    Alf you just never do know.   Yes this years Broberg.   Says a lot about the draft class doesn't it? 

Might be shaping up that the top tier will all for sure be gone before we pick:

Power, Edvinson, Eklund, Clarke and Beniers.  That leaves the next tier as likely where our guy comes from:  Hughes, Mac T, Geunther, Johnson?  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I would have picked the same except Dobson over Bouchard.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 6/6/2021 at 8:32 PM, oldnews said:

As for trading the pick - I doubt they will.

I think trading that pick would require a few dominos to precur.

I would support dealing that pick if it brings a Cal Foote to Vancouver.

However - the cost of that deal would not end there unfortunately - because it would mean protecting Foote and exposing one of Juolevi (no thanks), Schmidt or Myers.

In my ears that's pretty much what Benning said. If we get Foote or similar value for the pick and maybe a slight add like a 4-5th rounder, then sure. Otherwise no.

I agree about not exposing or trading OJ, that would be selling low, think he still has got a lot of untapped potential and his contract will almost certainly be a bargain, which is crucial as most of our other D:s are at or above market value.

As for Myers, I'm more torn. Overpaying slightly for the freedom to expose Myers in ED is one of JB:s more shrewd moves IMO, gives the team flexibility in both trades and cap. I don't really see Myers being a vital part of our contending team, but I agree it would hurt losing him short term. For a trade like Foote I would expose him though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Any team in the 3-8 region that wants a goalie will pick him.   If they don't (that's you Detroit) then he just could very well end up the BPA at 9.   Doubt we take him but OTT will for sure do that.   JB in this case could trade down one spot.   DET and OTT are teams that would draft this guy in the top ten. 

I could see him going before us (fingers cross tbh), he's that good & the drafts top end isn't loaded with elite talent.

As much as we need a defenseman, I'm kind of hoping for Dylan Guenther or William Eklund.

With Boeser, Hoglander, Podkolzin as younger wingers long term, adding Guenther or Eklund could put our offense over the top, and I think they are both good bets to be good players.

Its harder to tell with defenseman, and I'm not sold on any of them being elite players truth be told. Even Power.