The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We have barely anything worthwhile for center prospects tho.

Agree with that, also that Johnson is more likely to pan out as an LW than a C.  We need a lot of different things, though, so BPA (except for LD perhaps).  Johnson with Horvat would be an interesting combo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

For me, no.  It's a separate variable that limits or enhances what a player can do with the rest of his skill set, but doesn't count for a lot on its own.

So a guy like Mac T, who's built like Horvat, could potentially be able to use his skill for more effectively in the NHL, than a much lighter player - like Johnson.  I think the team needs to focus on skill, but compete must be factored in too.  If Johnson has Petey's compete (on and off the ice) then that's a good pick.  But if he lacks at all in his commitment to compete, then that's a red flag - regardless of puck skills.  

• Cheers 4

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Agree with that, also that Johnson is more likely to pan out as an LW than a C.  We need a lot of different things, though, so BPA (except for LD perhaps).  Johnson with Horvat would be an interesting combo.

Personally think mcT can make the NHL a lot sooner than KJ. As far as wings go in the system we have gadj, lind, mcdonough which i think and hope can become NHL players. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So a guy like Mac T, who's built like Horvat, could potentially be able to use his skill for more effectively in the NHL, than a much lighter player - like Johnson.  I think the team needs to focus on skill, but compete must be factored in too.  If Johnson has Petey's compete (on and off the ice) then that's a good pick.  But if he lacks at all in his commitment to compete, then that's a red flag - regardless of puck skills.  

Then Eklunds your guy.   High end skill,  coaches dream according to scouting reports.   Johnson vs Eklund is a thing this year 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sure, that's fair.  Looks to me like he has plenty of compete, but that can change at a higher level of competition where he can't pull off the same moves and gets pushed around a bit more.  Love his skating though and expect it will translate.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Totallly agree, and I think Benning & co has done really well in that aspect after 2014, and expect that to continue. Good point though, you need both skill and the competitive nature for a high pick.

As for MacT, haven't really watched him play, I understand he's taken a really big leap forward in the last year or so, but also that he's really more of a winger than C in some people's view? Anyone with a good video clip or two that could give me some insight?

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Personally think mcT can make the NHL a lot sooner than KJ. As far as wings go in the system we have gadj, lind, mcdonough which i think and hope can become NHL players. 

For sure:  McT has a higher floor and will probably make it sooner.  Johnson is a bet on game-breaking skill that might not pan out.  But given those wingers you mention, who all look like bottom 6 material to me, I'd roll the dice just the same.

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

For sure:  McT has a higher floor and will probably make it sooner.  Johnson is a bet on game-breaking skill that might not pan out.  But given those wingers you mention, who all look like bottom 6 material to me, I'd roll the dice just the same.

If our choice is to pick a falling winger, who might be only a bottom six or a bustaroo, maybe we're better off taking a bit of a stretch on a D man, like Ceulemans?

• Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

If they become good bottom 6 players thats good enough for me and successful picks for us. We have brock hog and podz all in their young 20s atm. We can find a new top 6 forward or 2 thru UFA or trades when miller and pearson leave. 

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If they become good bottom 6 players thats good enough for me and successful picks for us. We have brock hog and podz all in their young 20s atm. We can find a new top 6 forward or 2 thru UFA or trades when miller and pearson leave. 

The think is too, that a guy like Mac T could fill a role on our third line (in time of course) and play sheltered minutes that he can dominate.  It's those support players that can be the difference in playoff hockey, when the top guys saw-off with the other teams' top players.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The think is too, that a guy like Mac T could fill a role on our third line (in time of course) and play sheltered minutes that he can dominate.  It's those support players that can be the difference in playoff hockey, when the top guys saw-off with the other teams' top players.  

Yes.  Plus the team needs to be drafting C's and RHDs at the top of the draft.   Miller and Horvat need replacements at the draft table over the next 0-4 years.   Gives the teams options, and C's can always move to the wing - a lot harder the other way around. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, J-P said:

Totallly agree, and I think Benning & co has done really well in that aspect after 2014, and expect that to continue. Good point though, you need both skill and the competitive nature for a high pick.

As for MacT, haven't really watched him play, I understand he's taken a really big leap forward in the last year or so, but also that he's really more of a winger than C in some people's view? Anyone with a good video clip or two that could give me some insight?

YouTube has highlights of all the top prospects in this draft.