The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Eklund?

not be be anti-Euro, I would prefer a NA player this time

Canucks have Hoglander, who is similar to Eklund, I believe

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would be nice if he could join the team at the end of the next OHL season but I don't know if thats pushing his development timeline too much. 

I'm undecided about the pick, but with regards to his development and 'timeline', he already has part of one pro-season under his belt, a second tier league but a pro league nevertheless.  This is something most kids coming out of the CHL typically don't have experience with and it should positively impact his development timeline.

• Vintage 1
14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

not be be anti-Euro, I would prefer a NA player this time

Canucks have Hoglander, who is similar to Eklund, I believe

That's being pro-NA, not anti-Euro, NUCKER. 

• Hydration 2
10 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i have a feeling, we'll be trading the pick for help now. maybe for a top 4 d-man.

I have the same feeling, joe. Who do you think they might be looking at? 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm undecided about the pick, but with regards to his development and 'timeline', he already has part of one pro-season under his belt, a second tier league but a pro league nevertheless.  This is something most kids coming out of the CHL typically don't have experience with and it should positively impact his development timeline.

good point, I wonder if that shoots him up the draft board a bit? 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good point, I wonder if that shoots him up the draft board a bit? 

I think it will help him personally with his exposure to professional hockey definitely.

As far as the draft, if it were a higher caliber, more respected league, I'd say it likely would've made scouts take note.  As it is, I'm not even sure that league is ECHL level and most high-end CHL prospects should do well in a league like that so it's not going to rocket him up the rankings. 

• Vintage 1
49 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i have a feeling, we'll be trading the pick for help now. maybe for a top 4 d-man.

I wonder that as well Joe. They might be in "win now" mode and use the #9 to improve the D.   Schmidt for Stecher  lol jk

Benning said they would be aggressive (could this be a possible blockbuster trade?) and they're making calls to other teams about the #9. Benning said they're also going to get a good young player. So, what good young Ds are out there?

Could it be Adam Fox or Jacob Chychrun? Or maybe a bit older, so Morgan Rielly, Mackenzie Weegar or Doug Hamilton?  I know a lot are concerned that we need a r-shot D, but the best Ds (e.g. Hughes) can play both, so I'm not concerned if it's a left-shot D coming back. Just please be a real #1-2. No more duct tape. 

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder that as well Joe. They might be in "win now" mode and use the #9 to improve the D.   Schmidt for Stecher  lol jk

Benning said they would be aggressive (could this be a possible blockbuster trade?) and they're making calls to other teams about the #9. Benning said they're also going to get a good young player. So, what good young Ds are out there?

Could it be Adam Fox or Jacob Chychrun? Or maybe a bit older, so Morgan Rielly, Mackenzie Weegar or Doug Hamilton?  I know a lot are concerned that we need a r-shot D, but the best Ds (e.g. Hughes) can play both, so I'm not concerned if it's a left-shot D coming back. Just please be a real #1-2. No more duct tape. 

Could be a trade for Parayko. I think Jim will want to add more size to the d.....Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office....and acquire a right handed top four defenseman. Colton will be a free agent next summer, so St. Louis will either want to sign him for another six-eight years, or look to get back a decent package for the player.

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)

Would love to have drop to us: Eklund, Clarke

Happy with: Johnson, McTavish

Dark Horse Reach (Preferably trade down) : Ceulemans

Edited by DSVII
Posted (edited)

Anyone else think Morgan Reilly could be a guy that they're targeting? Leafs have almost no picks this year. 9th for Reilly?

On offence, I still see Reinhart as a possible candidate.

Ask yourselves this: do you want someone like Mason McTavish/Luke Hughes or a player at prime age like Morgan Reilly or Sam Reinhart? Either would come a long way in making our team better. This team has holes that must be filled. Next summer we need to go hard after a guy like Klingberg or Parayko in FA.

There are going to be some bold moves coming this summer (in my opinion), but I think it'll all eventually make sense after around July 1st next summer. This team will look like a contender. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Anyone else think Morgan Reilly could be a guy that they're targeting? Leafs have almost no picks this year. 9th for Reilly?

Ask yourselves this: do you want someone like Mason McTavish/Luke Hughes or a player at prime age like Morgan Reilly or Sam Reinhart? Either would come a long way in making our team better. This team has holes that must be filled. Next summer we need to go hard after a guy like Klingberg or Parayko in FA.

There are going to be some bold moves coming this summer (in my opinion), but I think it'll all eventually make sense after around July 1st next summer. This team will look like a contender. 

Taking into account the cost to acquire these guys, plus the large contract they will get (that we can’t afford)........ I’d say no. 

They will both cost much more than just 9th. 

• Vintage 1
23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

to VAN: #30, 2nd (2022) and Pesce

to CAR - #9 and Schmidt

carolina MIGHT hesitate for a second if you take out the two picks going to vancouver, but even then I think they hang up the phone laughing. 

• Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 1
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Personally, I think depending on the buyouts and our cap space, to see if we can pursue RNH in our top 6 in free agency. 

Versatility wise, I prefer Reinhart, but is the cost worth it? I don't think the separation of skill is that much between those two in the top six.

I don't believe Morgan Reilly is our answer. With Hughes and potentially Rathbone being the offensive D on the left side. But I wouldn't be opposed to having him on our team if the cap structure works out. 

As for targets....the cynical fan in me is expecting us throwing more money at Tyson Barrie lol

Edited by DSVII
58 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

i don't think it has to be a #1 or 2 but a bieksa type would be perfect. they might trade it for a gritty winger to play meaningful minutes in the top 6. they might sign petey's brother but he might be better suited for the 3rd line.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, DSVII said:

Personally, I think depending on the buyouts and our cap space, to see if we can pursue RNH in our top 6 in free agency. 

Versatility wise, I prefer Reinhart, but is the cost worth it? I don't think the separation of skill is that much between those two in the top six.

I don't believe Morgan Reilly is our answer. With Hughes and potentially Rathbone being the offensive D on the left side. But I wouldn't be opposed to having him on our team if the cap structure works out. 

As for targets....the cynical fan in me is expecting us throwing more money at Tyson Barrie lol

I hope JB isn’t pursuing a top six winger as that’s a lesser worry than a 3rd line C, dumping/rebuilding the bottom 6 and constructing a more effective D. We are not in “win now” mode so youngish players are preferred to those over 30. We also need to build up our prospect pool because once Podz and Rathbone join the team the cupboard is a bit bare. If we do flip #9 as part of a package for a RHD, I hope we get a lower draft pick back. Most years we have not had all of our picks available.

24 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I hope JB isn’t pursuing a top six winger as that’s a lesser worry than a 3rd line C, dumping/rebuilding the bottom 6 and constructing a more effective D. We are not in “win now” mode so youngish players are preferred to those over 30. We also need to build up our prospect pool because once Podz and Rathbone join the team the cupboard is a bit bare. If we do flip #9 as part of a package for a RHD, I hope we get a lower draft pick back. Most years we have not had all of our picks available.

I agree, which is why I'm hoping when Benning says we want to be aggressive to make playoffs next year. He's just posturing. 

20 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Sorry but i like the defenseman that almost won the calder and broke every rookie record in the playoffs his rookie year. His size didnt seem to matter then 

I think Hughes will eventually learn to prioritize defence. But so far how is this working out, we're close to the bottom end of the O/A standings missed the play-offs and Hughes 7th worse plus minus in the entire league. Time I'm hoping will help but as the kid himself said I'm going to work on defence this summer  :)