The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

On 6/16/2021 at 1:53 AM, N4ZZY said:

Wouldn’t mind Guenther if he’s available at 9. Is he NHL ready or does he need time back in junior? 

I’d be very surprised whom ever we pick at #9 will be NHL ready.

2022-23 season will be the earliest we see this years drafted player.

Edited by Honky Cat

On 6/16/2021 at 8:22 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Yeah, I hate that they translate that to "shopping the #9 pick".

They're exploring all options and nothing will go unheard...that's what I get from it.

Canucks AGM Chris Gear also telegraphed that they might move the pick.

A little bit more smoke there than usual.

4 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

They better be making the right move if they’re doing that. 

Benning and his team doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence….

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

They better be making the right move if they’re doing that. 

Benning and his team doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence….

Why?…. When it comes to drafting, they’ve been ok… and the first round pick they moved brought us Miller… 
So don’t quite understand the negativity!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Lysell is definitely on my wishlist.

He shouldn't be on your wishlist because of his inconsistency. Inconsistency can't be ironed out like we all know. Jake Virtanen is the best example what inconsistency can do with a player.

Even though I watched some highlight videos from Lysell and all i can say is that i am very impressed about his speed, ability to finish and his agility. Do the Canucks need another undersized forward in the top 6 in addition to Hoglander? Do Canucks another smallish forward who will be outmuscled along the boards? Lysell is not going to win puck battles along the boards in north america, neither in the AHL nor on the big stage.

3 points in 26 SHL games with Lulea isn't great either for a so called "top-prospect".

I expect him to go somewhere between 15 - 20.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Even if they want to move the pick it's still uncertain if they actually get this done. There were rumors that Canucks would be open to move their 1st 2019 to acquire Tyson Barrie from the AV's. In the end it didn't play out either because Sakic felt that the 1st was not enough for Barrie or because the AV's didn't like the prospects being available at No. 10. I really hope that they don't acquire Reinhart.

He scored most of his goals on the PP, is everything else than speedy and an undersized player who will get pushed around in the West. I mean there are reasons why this Buffalo Sabres team have been so bad over the last couple of years. One reason is for sure that some so called great players lack mentality.

Let's get back to make mentality a top priority in searching for players. It was the winning spirit and the winning mentality that made Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows to great players.

I don't want Reinhart on the Canucks team. Well I guess Jim will keep making great decisions.

12 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If we are going to keep this pick i suggest we trade miller. Hes not going to stick around if were going to wait 2-4 years for these players to be ready. He will be in his 30s by that time and has no reason to be on a team that has no chance to make playoffs. Even horvat should be on the table if we aint going to be competitive till petey is 27-28. 

lets say JB does something great at the ED  like get a appleton for example, is that enough for miller to be like “wow we really have a shot now!” Lol

The team might be better off to be a playoff team in 5 years than next year. We could get at least a extra 2 first rounders for both players (probably more). 

Every player is tradeable. I totally agree that the development timeline can dictate whether you move a player or not. That might not be the only basis for making that kind of move. Always about what comes back and whether that is a net + or not. IMO being a GM in the NHL requires a degree in psychology.  

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If we are going to keep this pick i suggest we trade miller. Hes not going to stick around if were going to wait 2-4 years for these players to be ready. He will be in his 30s by that time and has no reason to be on a team that has no chance to make playoffs. Even horvat should be on the table if we aint going to be competitive till petey is 27-28. 

lets say JB does something great at the ED  like get a appleton for example, is that enough for miller to be like “wow we really have a shot now!” Lol

The team might be better off to be a playoff team in 5 years than next year. We could get at least a extra 2 first rounders for both players (probably more). 

Are you paying attention at all to who the competitive teams in this league are?  Have you not noticed how many age 30+ players are playing pivotal roles in their teams going deep in playoffs?  You cant win in this league with a group of 25 year olds... you need a mix.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Are you paying attention at all to who the competitive teams in this league are?  Have you not noticed how many age 30+ players are playing pivotal roles in their teams going deep in playoffs?  You cant win in this league with a group of 25 year olds... you need a mix.  

What im saying is to see it thru Bo eyes. Does he wanna be on a team that is waiting for draft picks to develop or play for a team that can win. I just dont see how losing every year will motivate him to sign with us again.

19 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

What im saying is to see it thru Bo eyes. Does he wanna be on a team that is waiting for draft picks to develop or play for a team that can win. I just dont see how losing every year will motivate him to sign with us again.

So, aside from this absolutely stupid covid year, I am sure Horvat has seen a incredible improvement in talent over the last 3 years, and sees the potential of his team, I am sure that when he looks at the teams future and looks around the league, he sees us set up to some degree. I think that will play into any hopes and dreams. In the end it will be a tug of war, between Bo's wallet and his heart.

In saying that, we need an endless stream of ELC's coming in to supplement, the veterans and their large contracts, so Benning needs to be careful. In addition, just look how hard it is to get a Cernak or any other young developed Dman in trade. It is not just that easy, and any asset used to get one, is then subtracted from another area.

"IF" a 9th OA was to be traded, it should be for a young NHL player who will be with us for a long time. Obtaining a 3rd line center can be done through free agency or trade, as the asset is not as great. In saying that, if we were to get McTavish or Svechkov with our 9th, either directly or trading down, I would be happy enough. 

But what I really want is the Canucks to go hard on picking RHD prospects, and then use their 2022 and 2023 picks to pick up players who would be available because of the Seattle Expansion Draft. IMO, with the addition of Podkolzin, the maturing of our young players, the addition of any Expansion player pick ups, our cap clearing up, and any UFA's we may pick up, I honestly do not see us bottom feeding from now on.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Even if they want to move the pick it's still uncertain if they actually get this done. There were rumors that Canucks would be open to move their 1st 2019 to acquire Tyson Barrie from the AV's. In the end it didn't play out either because Sakic felt that the 1st was not enough for Barrie or because the AV's didn't like the prospects being available at No. 10. I really hope that they don't acquire Reinhart.

He scored most of his goals on the PP, is everything else than speedy and an undersized player who will get pushed around in the West. I mean there are reasons why this Buffalo Sabres team have been so bad over the last couple of years. One reason is for sure that some so called great players lack mentality.

Let's get back to make mentality a top priority in searching for players. It was the winning spirit and the winning mentality that made Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows to great players.

I don't want Reinhart on the Canucks team. Well I guess Jim will keep making great decisions.

A lot of rumours involving the Canucks moving their first round draft picks have been made up (or embellished) by the media. This is different because the GM and AGM have both mentioned that they are dangling the #9 for a 'younger player'.

I'm with you on Reinhart. After considering his age, playing style, and fit. I'd pass.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Yeah, would rather see first what systems Shaw can put in place and see if the roster will buy in.

Pass on Reinhart

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, aside from this absolutely stupid covid year, I am sure Horvat has seen a incredible improvement in talent over the last 3 years, and sees the potential of his team, I am sure that when he looks at the teams future and looks around the league, he sees us set up to some degree. I think that will play into any hopes and dreams. In the end it will be a tug of war, between Bo's wallet and his heart.

In saying that, we need an endless stream of ELC's coming in to supplement, the veterans and their large contracts, so Benning needs to be careful. In addition, just look how hard it is to get a Cernak or any other young developed Dman in trade. It is not just that easy, and any asset used to get one, is then subtracted from another area.

"IF" a 9th OA was to be traded, it should be for a young NHL player who will be with us for a long time. Obtaining a 3rd line center can be done through free agency or trade, as the asset is not as great. In saying that, if we were to get McTavish or Svechkov with our 9th, either directly or trading down, I would be happy enough. 

But what I really want is the Canucks to go hard on picking RHD prospects, and then use their 2022 and 2023 picks to pick up players who would be available because of the Seattle Expansion Draft. IMO, with the addition of Podkolzin, the maturing of our young players, the addition of any Expansion player pick ups, our cap clearing up, and any UFA's we may pick up, I honestly do not see us bottom feeding from now on.

What stream of ELC are helping tampa? If we wanna win and win soon we need better players that can play now otherwise we need to get what we can from miller n horvat.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Owen Power is ranked very high but he has great linemates.  Kent Johnson is one of them and he could be there at #9

Skilled, but does he have the character to play the right way and actually compete?  I’m very much hoping Detroit takes this guy, so Benning isn’t at all tempted.  He screams Hunter Shinkaruk.  

On 6/7/2021 at 11:21 AM, Canuckster86 said:

Which makes me wonder why we ever selected Jake, as his compete level in the NHL or AHL has been very hit and miss. So was the WHL and him being a man amongst boys just masking this issue because his mature body and speed made him harder to cover?

Ron Delorme saw him having a great practice and was won over by him.

17 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

What stream of ELC are helping tampa? If we wanna win and win soon we need better players that can play now otherwise we need to get what we can from miller n horvat.

Places like Tampa and Vegas have special circumstances and a little league help in Tampa's case

The taxation in those places allows for a pretty large difference.............

For example...........

What is the Florida state personal income tax for a person making a million?................36% state and Federal Tax

What is the BC provincial personal income tax for a person making a million.................53% on Prov, and Federal Tax

So that is a 17% difference...........

So in essence Tampa can spend  the equivalent of 95,300,000 in cap, so guys take alot less there to play on a championship team

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Owen Power - Kent Johnson - Matt Beniers

https://hockeysarsenal.substack.com/p/skills-analysis-owen-power-kent-johnson

Not inconceivable at all that Johson might be around a #9

Looks the right way to me Alf.  Why the Shinkaruk. comparison?

I think he means that like Shinkaruk his skills may not translate to the NHL level. If you read the last line of the linked article about Johnson it states that his skill set and slickness “will become futile against a team or system where space is at a premium”. If the Canucks do draft him hopefully he can become a Brayden Point type of player and prove his doubters wrong.