The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

In this order.
Guenther > McTavish > Johnson

- i'm less and less convinced by Johnson, but not write him off yet. the problem is how is swiftness will be impacted when he'll gain so muscles (because he has to).

- McT could be our Caufiled, and would still be there at 9.

-Guenther is the younger of the three, right handed shot first mentality with frame. that's my pick if he falls to us.

On 6/20/2021 at 6:02 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

He shouldn't be on your wishlist because of his inconsistency. Inconsistency can't be ironed out like we all know. Jake Virtanen is the best example what inconsistency can do with a player.

Even though I watched some highlight videos from Lysell and all i can say is that i am very impressed about his speed, ability to finish and his agility. Do the Canucks need another undersized forward in the top 6 in addition to Hoglander? Do Canucks another smallish forward who will be outmuscled along the boards? Lysell is not going to win puck battles along the boards in north america, neither in the AHL nor on the big stage.

3 points in 26 SHL games with Lulea isn't great either for a so called "top-prospect".

I expect him to go somewhere between 15 - 20.

I disagree,

From what I have read, he has a motor that won’t quit.

Yes, he challenged himself as an 18 year old to play in the SHL.

He did not get the minutes; therefore the numbers were not great.

if this is what you refer to inconsistent? 

11 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Why is our best and most important player centering the 3rd line? 

4th line too small, and Chatfield should never wear Nuck colours ever again.

1st 2nd 3rd…. The idea is to spread out 5 on 5 ice primarily between 3 lines

12 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Why is our best and most important player centering the 3rd line? 

4th line too small, and Chatfield should never wear Nuck colours ever again.

I wouldn't get too hung up on 1st-3rd line.  Preferably they all get similar minutes.  More minutes to the lines that seem to be on their game for any given night.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

You saw it with the NFL draft this year, it was even more of a roll of the dice than normal. Lack of ability to evaluate talent compared to years past - many used their draft chips to improve their teams now with a player that you know what your getting with. If the right player is available, would have no problem trading for a player that can help our team now and isn't past their prime.

We are set up nicely in goal with Demko, Dipietro for young guys. We have some promising young forwards on the team and in the system and what they need it 3rd and 4th line support - which I don't think you draft at #9 overall but can happen to develop them. I think if you draft for need you go defense, but how drafting goes they'll likely take their highest ranked player available. A center would be nice as well. Mason Mctavish or Chaz Lucius.

If you draft on the basis of needs, it would be to improve the current firemen that play Defence, that would be nice, however I'm expecting that  will not be the case. So the next question do you want a high skill forward or an alround 200' forward. Do you look to overpower opponents with skill ..... Kent Johnson or if you want an all rounder McTavish. The problem is we will actually pick up bread crumbs left by the previous 8 teams

Edited by Fred65

Luke Hughes is a September birthday.  I’d trade up (as far as our second can get us) to draft him.  How much better will he be with another (almost) full year of maturation?  He’s close to being in the 2022 draft.  

I thought before that Benning would trade the #9 for immediate help, but now, after bringing in the Sedins, I feel they will be at the Draft to make their 1st Round selection. 

My guesses on who we end up with have changed slightly too (not necessarily who I want, but who I think we'll get):

1. Lysell

2. Edvinsson

3. Lucius

• RoughGame 1

I would be Happy with any of the top prospects in this draft class if you count Wallstedt there are more than 9 top picks and if three teams ahead want Centers than a top D or a great winger should be available .

Have a hard time reading all the talk about trading the pick . OK if a great deal comes along to clear someone's cap space or to help out in the expansion daft sure , But to get rid of LE contract for one year after the last 5 years of having it makes no sense to me . He should be in Abbottsford showing all the young players you know all the Little things and penalty killing it takes to make the NHL . They say he has a great attitude maybe he can look towards coaching or something for after this season . Trading a top 9 pick for an already established 3third line center also makes no sense to me I would definitely want someone with more upside for it . just my thoughts  

Edited by Nurnge
  • Cheers 1

Schmidt was picked up for a third. Why do people want to give up our first?

If a team has cap issues or they know they are going to lose a player in the expansion draft. They are the ones who have the issues. Not us.  It does not require a first round pick.

A first round pick had better score a real talent who is very young. Any player who is not on a teams protected list is going to be a ways down their depth chart. We are not talking about a first line player or a top two D man. 

Most deals should be able to be done with a third round pick and lower end prospects.

Our biggest needs are for bottom six or a defensive D man.

Edited by appleboy

I like Fabian Lysell, Chad Lucus, and Trent Johnson as forwards. I did not like McTavish and Guenther will be gone. As for Defense: I like Hughes, Clarke and Ceulman. If the top 2 of my list of forwards or defense are there, take them. To clarify: Trent Johnson or Fabian Lysell are both dog on bone type players I would choose. Hughes or Clarke would be great additions as well. 

As for pickups from teams in expansion trouble. They can get # 4 defenseman or a # 8 forward. This shouldn't cost as much as I have seen some people think. The Canucks real needs are better young defense and maybe right wing. The most glaring in my opinion is defense.

On 6/23/2021 at 6:30 PM, appleboy said:

Schmidt was picked up for a third. Why do people want to give up our first?

If a team has cap issues or they know they are going to lose a player in the expansion draft. They are the ones who have the issues. Not us.  It does not require a first round pick.

A first round pick had better score a real talent who is very young. Any player who is not on a teams protected list is going to be a ways down their depth chart. We are not talking about a first line player or a top two D man. 

Most deals should be able to be done with a third round pick and lower end prospects.

Our biggest needs are for bottom six or a defensive D man.

Vegas was desperately trying to unload Schmidt and his 6 mil.