The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Vegas was desperately trying to unload Schmidt and his 6 mil.   

That is what happens when you need to unload cap space.  Other teams take advantage of you. The ED will put teams in a position where they will be looking to recoup anything possible from a player that they know they will lose.

On 6/22/2021 at 7:21 PM, EddieVedder said:

Why is our best and most important player centering the 3rd line?

JB stated publicly his goal this off season is to somehow create 3 lines that can score.  Barring a significant trade and/or UFA signing BoHo makes the most sense as the candidate to anchor this new 3rd scoring line since I don't see EP, Miller, BB, Pearson, or Hogs in that role.   That said JB indicated he will make whatever changes necessary so I guess we'll see soon.

MIN has two 1sts (#21 and #25)

Benning said he wanted to get bigger/more physical on D

to MIN:  #9

to VAN:  #21 and Soucy (26 yrs,  6'5"  211, makes under $3)  +?

MIN gets into the Top 10 and unloads some salary

VAN gets a big Dman to help now, and drafts a C (Raty, Svechkov or Bolduc)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

MIN has two 1sts (#21 and #25)

Benning said he wanted to get bigger/more physical on D

to MIN:  #9

to VAN:  #21 and Soucy (26 yrs,  6'5"  211, makes under $3)  +?

MIN gets into the Top 10 and unloads some salary

VAN gets a big Dman to help now, and drafts a C (Raty, Svechkov or Bolduc)

What about something like 9th and Rousell for 21rst and Dumba (they need to figure something out with him for protection purposes). They can then draft a Center prospect at 9th and we get a youngish top 4 right handed dman in the lineup.

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

What about something like 9th and Rousell for 21rst and Dumba (they need to figure something out with him for protection purposes). They can then draft a Center prospect at 9th and we get a youngish top 4 right handed dman in the lineup.

Benning believes the contender window truly opens in 2 seasons.    That 9th overall pick could be part of that contender window.  Dumba is only under contract for 2 years.  Don't really see why they would trade for someone who could be a 2 year rental.   His contract would be up at the same time as Horvat, Miller, Höglander.  

Dumba is also not the best fit.  Vancouver has troubles defending and he needs a solid D partner to cover for him.  Tracking companies like Sportlogiq and CSA had Vancouver pretty much as the worst defensive team before even the Covid outbreak.  Last season already they were in the bottom tiers.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm getting more convinced to grab Lysell. Fastest player by far. They call him the swedish roadrunner. Has all the skills. He isnt on alot of top 10 lists so he might fall to us.

Edited by Xur
Spelling

Just now, Xur said:

I'm getting more convinced to grab Lysell. Fastest player by far. The call him the swedish roadrunner. Has all the skills. He isnt on alot of top 10 lists so he might fall to us.

Lysol will definitely be there at 9.  And we definitely will not be taking him.  Guy apparently has character issues, doesn’t he?  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Lysol will definitely be there at 9.  And we definitely will not be taking him.  Guy apparently has character issues, doesn’t he?  

It has been reported that all there is rumours of character issues, there is not a single report. So it is likely bs. 

Edited by Xur

On 6/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, Alflives said:

Luke Hughes is a September birthday.  I’d trade up (as far as our second can get us) to draft him.  How much better will he be with another (almost) full year of maturation?  He’s close to being in the 2022 draft.  

I have had a feeling he might fall to us at 9?  

Do you think he's NHL ready? 

My argument against drafting a d is that they typically take longer to develope. And I would rather have someone who can contribute right away. 

And if we have to wait 2 yrs for any of them then I would like to trade the pick

18 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I have had a feeling he might fall to us at 9?  

Do you think he's NHL ready? 

My argument against drafting a d is that they typically take longer to develope. And I would rather have someone who can contribute right away. 

And if we have to wait 2 yrs for any of them then I would like to trade the pick

Highly doubtful. Slated to play in Michigan this year.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think there is a definitely good chance we take lysell at #9 .

kid has a motor like hoglander but faster 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Trade 9OA to winnipeg for appleton and their 17th overall pick

draft 1 of either

Corson Ceulemans 

Scott Morrow

Aleksi Hemosalmi

Logan Mailloux

whichever jim thinks is the best outta the 4

:sick:

Why don't we take a rd with our second (maybe one of these guys), keep our 9, select another great player, and sign a 3C as a ufa?

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Trade 9OA to winnipeg for appleton and their 17th overall pick

draft 1 of either

Corson Ceulemans 

Scott Morrow

Aleksi Hemosalmi

Logan Mailloux

whichever jim thinks is the best outta the 4

have seen mock drafts having Scott Morrow and Aleksi Heimosalmi in the 2nd round. With a little bit of luck one of them is going to fall to the Canucks pick in the 2nd round. Obviously Canucks need a RHD in this offseason not in 4 years from now. Just look how long it will take Jett Woo to arrive at the NHL. Woo was drafted by the Canucks in the 2nd round with the 37 pick in the 2018 draft. He needs another season in the AHL with Abbotsford. That means a development time of 4 years.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

have seen mock drafts having Scott Morrow and Aleksi Heimosalmi in the 2nd round. With a little bit of luck one of them is going to fall to the Canucks pick in the 2nd round. Obviously Canucks need a RHD in this offseason not in 4 years from now. Just look how long it will take Jett Woo to arrive at the NHL. Woo was drafted by the Canucks in the 2nd round with the 37 pick in the 2018 draft. He needs another season in the AHL with Abbotsford. That means a development time of 4 years.

Well, i did have appleton included which would help us immediately lol