The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, shiznak said:

That’s if, he still has a job in 2 years. I really doubt he’ll still be here if we happen to miss the playoffs again, this upcoming season. Especially if fans are allowed back into the arena.

It might not be the correct move, but to save his job, he should make this pick available.

For sure the pick (and our second and third) is available.  But Benning isn’t going to make a deal that hurts the club’s rebuild.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm warming up to selecting  kent johnson 

I can see that line of thought, over whelm an opponent with skill. However we need a chnage on defence, it's generally like a fire drill and it's nye impossible to find qual;ity D in FA.  If we go for Johnson the second pick might be 

Logan Mailloux, RHD (SK Lejon, HockeyEttan)

Standing at 6-foot-3, he does a great job at keeping opponents to the outside of the defensive zone and limits the chances they have to get a good shot on net. He has good gap control and using his long stick, he is able to disrupt passes and plays before they have the chance to develop into a dangerous scoring chance. He likes to be physical and is hard to knock off the puck in the corner. — Whether they address it with their first pick or do so on Day 2, the Canucks need problem solvers on the back end to take the heat off of Quinn Hughes and provide him with a stronger supporting cast. Mailloux has the size, wheels, shot, and high panic threshold that not only compliment Vancouver’s skill forwards in the possession game but also helps address depth concerns on the right side.

He's ranked in around the 40th slot

Edited by Fred65
  • Hydration 1

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I can see that line of thought, over whelm an opponent with skill. However we need a chnage on defence, it's generally like a fire drill and it's nye impossible to find qual;ity D in FA.  If we go for Johnson the second pick might be 

Standing at 6-foot-3, he does a great job at keeping opponents to the outside of the defensive zone and limits the chances they have to get a good shot on net. He has good gap control and using his long stick, he is able to disrupt passes and plays before they have the chance to develop into a dangerous scoring chance. He likes to be physical and is hard to knock off the puck in the corner. — Whether they address it with their first pick or do so on Day 2, the Canucks need problem solvers on the back end to take the heat off of Quinn Hughes and provide him with a stronger supporting cast. Mailloux has the size, wheels, shot, and high panic threshold that not only compliment Vancouver’s skill forwards in the possession game but also helps address depth concerns on the right side.

Yup hes one of the guys i want with our 2nd and keeping my eye on.

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Pure speculation,  nothing more

There is a degree of logic to the idea. Bennings future with the club depends on making the play-offs this next season. Ig Aquaman doesn't get revenue from the play-offs JB is getting a new area code. A draft pick for the future will not help him. He needs impact and like yesterday. The question is can he get Aquaman cough u[ enough buy out ( $$$ ) to make Cap space

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Oh I'm 100% on picking a RD if clark is available.  I dont want to reach for a guy who isnt though.

14 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Put up some good numbers in Junior B.  Maybe third rounder is better?  

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Put up some good numbers in Junior B.  Maybe third rounder is better?  

Man there's some some tough dudes come out of Jungle B  :)  here's a couple ( remember the missing Link, Link Gaetz, turned up for the draft with two black eyes and a case of beer under his arm :lol:

Edited by Fred65
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Man there's some some tough dudes come out of Jungle B  :)  here's a couple

The kid could be a steal, but level of his completion might have been a bit questionable.  Although the same could be said for lots of prospects.  Scott Morrow only played high school, right?  

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The kid could be a steal, but level of his completion might have been a bit questionable.  Although the same could be said for lots of prospects.  Scott Morrow only played high school, right?  

He was supposed to play in the OHL London Knights ( same team as OJ  ) but Covid struck so he played overseas rather than miss a season. I presume he'll play under the tutelage of the Hunters in the OHL next season. A long shot but his skills set are the skills we need

Edited by Fred65
  • Thanks 1

I feel like a free agent as a fan for this years draft lol!  I could be sold on a number of different players.  I DO want a RHD but I am not sure that it HAS to come via the pick.  

Edmondson Johnson and McTavish are who I currently want (I'm assuming Clarke is not available at our pick) but if you ask me tomorrow I may have changed my mind!

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Sounds like my kind of player.  Yes please.

• Hydration 1

Just now, Googlie said:

Edvinsson. - understudy Edler for a year then step right in

Edvinson is big, and skates well, but he’s still really young.  Maybe get him and have him follow the Edler path and play in Kelowna for the Rockets? 

• Hydration 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Edvinson is big, and skates well, but he’s still really young.  Maybe get him and have him follow the Edler path and play in Kelowna for the Rockets? 

That'd be a shrewd move  ....   or the Giants.  Turns 19 in February,  maybe even straight into the Abbotsford farm team?

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Googlie said:

That'd be a shrewd move  ....   or the Giants.  Turns 19 in February,  maybe even straight into the Abbotsford farm team?

Good point about putting him in Abbotsford.  I forgot he’s already playing pro right?  So he’s used to getting paid.  Riding buses for 50 buck a week stipend might not be where he is right now.  

Seems like every day you guys post something about a certain prospect that gets me wanting that one.  I really think we will end up with a very good player.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Hydration 1