The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

My understanding is that this draft year is not particularly strong compared to recent drafts. That being said........

.......I'm pretty sure now that JB and company know where they're positioned, they've got a few ideas as to who they'd take or want based on availability. I'm guessing their gonna go with the best player available to them.

If it happens to be a needed position, all the better. But whoever it is, he's not gonna be NHL ready.

1 hour ago, internationalhippy said:

what about Aatu Raty. at one point a year or so ago he was ranked at no 1

He's not really in the conversation anymore. He's got some offensive skill, but he is pretty confused in the defensive zone and is easily pressured by opponents from what I read. I think with the right coaching, he could be a good player. I think he's a late 1st at this point at best.

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We don't do first overall picks round these parts....thems just for them snooty assed teams over yonder.

But it’s like I said in another thread:  In retrospect, we’ve had had some of the best picks in the draft regardless of where we actually drafted.  In a redraft, 

-Twins would go 1 and 2 respectively in 1999

-Bure goes #3 in 1989 (behind Sundin and Fedorov)

-Pettersson and Hughes possibly go Top 3.

-Horvat possibly moves into the Top 5

-Kesler and Boeser move way up, and possibly into the Top 10

And for all the grief that we get for the Virtanen back in 2014, I am of the belief that Thacker Demko will prove in the future that he would go Top 7 in a redraft if a poll was to be held in a few years.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Puckster said:

Personally, I would call Buffalo and see what it takes to pry the #1 pick and get a big elite Dman. After that call, we see if we can afford it.

I am tired of watching us draft the 7 dwarfs.

Its not gonna be cheap. It def WON'T be the 9th and 2nd round pick. 

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I know its super early but I have Pettersson at 2. I rather have Makar over Petey. Sorry :picard:

I have Petey at 3.  I’d take Makar and Heiskanen over him.  No need to apologize to me.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

Only way JB trades our #9 is if there's a certain player available that another team has the hots for when we're up. And only if a deal can be made that benefits our team for the now and in the future. (Roster player along with a prospect or a pick this year or a first next draft.)

I can see us exploring trading the pick.. but really our prospect pool is a little bare and we could use another blue chipper in the system.

I’m a huge “build from the back out” guy but this needs to be whoever they determine to be BPA - don’t go chasing a D man who might be here in 2-3 years.  That hole needs to be filled via trade or FA at this point.

• Like 1

I would say it is very unlikely they move up given how rare an occurrence it is for a team to move up in the top ten. With that being said, how about 9+40+72 to Detroit for 6 if Clarke is available. I think it's my duty as a fan to submit an ignorant fan trade proposal that has little chance of actually occurring.

Just now, BlastPast said:

I would say it is very unlikely they move up given how rare an occurrence it is for a team to move up in the top ten. With that being said, how about 9+40+72 to Detroit for 6 if Clarke is available. I think it's my duty as a fan to submit an ignorant fan trade proposal that has little chance of actually occurring.

They’d have to be really high on Clarke.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Huge overpayment; Benning does very well in the second round.  I also don't particularly want Clarke though; I'm not comfortable with his defensive zone play.

Edited by King Heffy

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Huge overpayment; Benning does very well in the second round.  I also don't particularly want Clarke though; I'm no comfortable with his defensive zone play.

Defensive zone play is something a player can actually learn and get better at.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Huge overpayment; Benning does very well in the second round.  I also don't particularly want Clarke though; I'm not comfortable with his defensive zone play.

Overpayment but Clarke is better than Hughes defensively. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1