The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

2 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

The Virtanen of Defense? 

Bit more then that. He was stuck on a bad ice team so he had to simplfy $&!# down. When he was in finland and the leash was let off. He was a force

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I read another article saying he might be a steal or gone before where’s he listed

He should be a top ten for sure. Think the injury is devaluing him after he came back from finland.

On 7/8/2021 at 8:59 AM, mll said:

Wheeler has a draft prediction up for The Athletic (paywall) and based on the conversations he's had, he believes that the Canucks' order of preference at 9 is Johnson, Eklund and then McTavish.

Pronman says the scouting industry has a top-tiers of 9 players.  Benning did say they liked 9 players.

I would think JB was high to have Kent Johnson rated higher than Eklund.  In terms of his pre draft year, considering he played in a league above EP40, with a great rookie campaign, not as good as EP40 SHL rookie year, but he is one whole year younger.  

On 7/8/2021 at 3:45 PM, Isam said:

The wildcard of the draft.

Exactly.  Based on the little that I’ve seen of Lambos, I really like the guy.  If a team is looking to “swing for the fences” and take a risk on a guy, then this is the guy that you do it with.  Kent Johnson as well.  I wouldn’t complain at all if Benning picked Lambos, but like Kent Johnson, I think he’ll need some significant work/coaching in order to maximize his potential.   High risk but high reward. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Exactly.  Based on the little that I’ve seen of Lambos, I really like the guy.  If a team is looking to “swing for the fences” and take a risk on a guy, then this is the guy that you do it with.  Kent Johnson as well.  I wouldn’t complain at all if Benning picked Lambos, but like Kent Johnson, I think he’ll need some significant work/coaching in order to maximize his potential.   High risk but high reward. 

There’s a very good chance both Johnson and Lambos will be there at 9.  Which one will Benning take?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There’s a very good chance both Johnson and Lambos will be there at 9.  Which one will Benning take?  

I think Benning will go BPA but Benning’s biggest organizational need right now is an Alex Edler replacement (ie a two way all situations top pairing guy that can log big minutes).  My best guess is that Benning will try and address this immediate need in this off season, but he might also look at long term options as well.  

Canucks are very stacked on the left side as far as Hughes, Rathbone, and Juolevi go, and my guess is that he’d be more inclined to go with Kent Johnson if it came down to those two.  

I still have my fingers crossed for Dylan Guenter but I honestly have no idea about any of these guys.  

ps - this was my draft wishlist since 2014:

2014:  Trade Horvat + 6th to move up to take Sam Reinhart

2015:  Brandon Carlo

2016:  Pierre Luc Dubois (thought he’d drop to us)

2017: Miro Heiskanen 

2018: Noah Dobson (I didn’t think Hughes dropping that far down was realistic)

2019:  I can’t remember who I wanted but I had Podkolzin pegged as being in the Top 5.

2020:  Was hoping we’d trade Virtanen in order to draft Braden Schneider.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

I think Benning will go BPA but Benning’s biggest organizational need right now is an Alex Edler replacement (ie a two way all situations top pairing guy that can log big minutes).  My best guess is that Benning will try and address this immediate need in this off season, but he might also look at long term options as well.  

Canucks are very stacked on the left side as far as Hughes, Rathbone, and Juolevi go, and my guess is that he’d be more inclined to go with Kent Johnson if it came down to those two.  

I still have my fingers crossed for Dylan Guenter but I honestly have no idea about any of these guys.  

ps - this was my draft wishlist since 2014:

2014:  Trade Horvat + 6th to move up to take Sam Reinhart

2015:  Brandon Carlo

2016:  Pierre Luc Dubois (thought he’d drop to us)

2017: Miro Heiskanen 

2018: Noah Dobson (I didn’t think Hughes dropping that far down was realistic)

2019:  I can’t remember who I wanted but I had Podkolzin pegged as being in the Top 5.

2020:  Was hoping we’d trade Virtanen in order to draft Braden Schneider.

How surprising would it be if we take Ceulemans at 9?  

Rn My top 9 in order: Beniers Eklund power Clarke Hughes edvinsson Guenther McTavish Johnson

Draft Day I expect top 6 to be: Beniers, Power, Eklund, Hughes, Clarke, Guenther.

Meaning that the second class I see as: 

McTavish, Johnson, Edvinsson. If wallsted goes before then we then get a choice between 2 of these 3.

Anything else I see as off the board so if it happens I hope gm JB knows more than me and it works out like Pettersson has.

If Edvinsson is there at 9 I guess he's my pick Of those 3 I wouldn't pass on a projected potential top paring 6'4" defender. Young and already playing pro. McTavish is good but I think he will be a 2nd line center. Johnson probably slots in as a top 6 winger when he's ready. All 3 will not be in the NHL next year. I just try to think who will be the best in two years.

• Like 1

Interesting to note that Craig Button has released his final prospect rankings and the player who made the biggest jump (to #6) was Fedor Svechkov. Since he’s been compared by some scouts to Patrice Bergeron I wonder if he’d be someone JB would consider if he’s still there at #9?

• Cheers 2

On 7/8/2021 at 8:54 PM, Bure2Win said:

I'm curious can the Canucks select more than once at #9, feels like the only way they're going to improve enough....lol

Is that why you have 2 Bure's in your title?  Two EPs to win.   Well a McTavish and a Podz might go a long way...

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Interesting to note that Craig Button has released his final prospect rankings and the player who made the biggest jump (to #6) was Fedor Svechkov. Since he’s been compared by some scouts to Patrice Bergeron I wonder if he’d be someone JB would consider if he’s still there at #9?

Not to harp on Button, but he usually takes a couple fliers and moves them up.   Sometimes they work out really well, and other times they don't.   I like ISS and THN as a baseline.   When something is very off i wonder why.    Svechkov is actually right their at 10 for ISS final ranking, is a LW/C, normal sized ... the Russian connection is intriguing.    Not sure we'd take him, seems like a really decent player away from the puck.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

On 7/10/2021 at 9:18 PM, XxNaslundxX said:

Rn My top 9 in order: Beniers Eklund power Clarke Hughes edvinsson Guenther McTavish Johnson

Draft Day I expect top 6 to be: Beniers, Power, Eklund, Hughes, Clarke, Guenther.

Meaning that the second class I see as: 

McTavish, Johnson, Edvinsson. If wallsted goes before then we then get a choice between 2 of these 3.

Anything else I see as off the board so if it happens I hope gm JB knows more than me and it works out like Pettersson has.

If Edvinsson is there at 9 I guess he's my pick Of those 3 I wouldn't pass on a projected potential top paring 6'4" defender. Young and already playing pro. McTavish is good but I think he will be a 2nd line center. Johnson probably slots in as a top 6 winger when he's ready. All 3 will not be in the NHL next year. I just try to think who will be the best in two years.

FYI.  Edvinsson is 3rd ISS final ranking and 2nd THN ranking.   Ahead of all but one or two of these guys.  Not particularly stoked he's a LHD, but for sure we take him if he's not picked yet and he is a guy that could slip.  BPA.  

Eklund is the guy i'm expecting to slip.   You know there will be at least one.    Hope it's McTavish though. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

FYI.  Edvinsson is 3rd ISS final ranking and 2nd THN ranking.   Ahead of all but one or two of these guys.  Not particularly stoked he's a LHD, but for sure we take him if he's not picked yet and he is a guy that could slip.  BPA.   

If Edvinson slips to us it’s because of concerns about his hockey sense.  What pick did the Soilers waste on Broberg?  We definitely want big skill, but can’t be dumb.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

If Edvinson slips to us it’s because of concerns about his hockey sense.  What pick did the Soilers waste on Broberg?  We definitely want big skill, but can’t be dumb.  

I'm not sure an IQ test is part of the process, but maybe it should be.   Would he look as dumb doing that as Mittelstad  did trying to do one pull-up? 

• Haha 1