The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Still hoping for Svechkov but will be okay with Johnson.  This could turn out like the 2018 draft in that Hughes (high skill, creativity and skating) fell to us, and I wanted Dobson but was happy Hughes was available.  Here I see that Johnson could very well be chosen earlier were as Svechkov is graded later than 10 by most mock drafts.

Of course I'm assuming Mctavish and all top 4 d will be gone by #9.

44 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I watched a bunch of tape on Edvinsson and I dont think id take him in the top 10.  That being said certainly DO hope he goes top 8. 

I agree, too me...his hockey decision making isnt very good. He can’t think fast enough.

Edvinssons Hockey IQ is slow and low.

4C83C94D-0B59-48F2-B0D7-50873B6353A1.gif

Edited by HockeyHarry
6 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I agree, too me...his hockey decision making isnt very good. He can’t think fast enough.

Edvinssons Hockey IQ is slow and low.

4C83C94D-0B59-48F2-B0D7-50873B6353A1.gif

His puck skills from what I saw didnt stand out in a good way.  Maybe he blossoms but Im not sure Id project him to be a Hedman like player with a top 10 pick.  Late to mid 1st seems like a safer gamble if he turns out to be a decent everyday player.

Edvinsson's puck skills are definitely a concern, but he's still a 6'5" defenseman with 5/5 skating.

I don't see the Broberg comparisons either, because Edvinsson is actually pretty good defensively. He uses his skating and size to aide his gap control.
If he interviews well for us, and seems coachable, we should really consider taking him. 

I was writing another post and realized it'd be more relevant in this thread. For me, in this draft, only Power and Beniers are guaranteed not to fall to us. I love that it's this wide open, because it makes room for some interesting possibilities. This is not a deep draft, so the player we're selecting will probably take two years to arrive just like Podkolzin. 

Here's my top 15 after Power and Beniers

1. Power

2. Beniers

3. Hughes

4. Guenther

5. Clarke

6. Eklund

7. Edvinsson

8. McTavish

9. Wallstedt 

10. Svechkov

11. Johnson

12. Sillinger

13. Ceulemans 

14. Coronato

15. Raty

• Hydration 1
4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

You know, I was just thinking:  

A line of Dickinson and Svechkov would make for one hell of a shut down line.  Maybe our version of Pittsburgh's ZAR-Bluegar-Tanev?

Tanev is in Seattle now lol

• Hydration 1

If Johnson is there at 9 you better take him. Why?

• High character 
  • Insanely skilled
  • He has put on size
  • His hockey IQ is elite
  • Most importantly to me - his drive is out of this world. He is excited, LOVES the game and does everything he can to get better (skating, skills, etc). He has this attitude that he wants to be the best and succeed, something I don't see in alot of players. Similarly I equate KJ to the engine that Hoglander has. 

I've had the privilege of working with Kent, I won't say how, but he is an impressive young man. He'd be my choice!

• Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1
Just now, MtnHockeyGuy said:

• High character 
  • Insanely skilled
  • He has put on size
  • His hockey IQ is elite
  • Most importantly to me - his drive is out of this world. He is excited, LOVES the game and does everything he can to get better (skating, skills, etc). He has this attitude that he wants to be the best and succeed, something I don't see in alot of players. Similarly I equate KJ to the engine that Hoglander has. 

I've had the privilege of working with Kent, I won't say how, but he is an impressive young man. He'd be my choice!

A lot of us would be happy with Johnson.  

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
13 minutes ago, MtnHockeyGuy said:

• High character 
  • Insanely skilled
  • He has put on size
  • His hockey IQ is elite

Sounds to me like you two were romantically involved?  :-p. (I’m joking).  I’m glad to hear that Johnson has increased his size as that was one of my initial concerns with him.  My only criticism of Johnson is that he doesn’t really seem to know what to do with the puck once he has it in the offensive end.  He’s excellent at carrying the puck and he clearly has offensive skills, but I’m not entirely sold on his decision making.  Going back to the size issue, the Canucks are already one of the lightest teams in the league and we’ve seen how the most successful teams have usually been one of the heavier teams.  Being a local BC boy, Johnson would obviously be a nice fit, but I’m probably more of a Guenther, MacTavish, Svechkov, or Sillinger guy at this point.  The Danault comparison that Svechkov  recently drew got me all hot and bothered.

15 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Still hoping for Svechkov but will be okay with Johnson.  This could turn out like the 2018 draft in that Hughes (high skill, creativity and skating) fell to us, and I wanted Dobson but was happy Hughes was available.  Here I see that Johnson could very well be chosen earlier were as Svechkov is graded later than 10 by most mock drafts.

Of course I'm assuming Mctavish and all top 4 d will be gone by #9.

Luke Hughes is ranked in Bob Mckenzies final rankings at 8th so we might have a shot at him which would be pretty cool.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, MtnHockeyGuy said:

• High character 
  • Insanely skilled
  • He has put on size
  • His hockey IQ is elite

Johnson, is that you?

Honestly, he's who I'm hoping will be there, out of players projected to be there, for all of the reasons you stated. I just hope he mentioned to teams that interviewed him just how much he wants to play for his hometown team so that he doesn't get taken before #9. 

• Vintage 1
21 hours ago, Nave said:

Edvinsson's puck skills are definitely a concern, but he's still a 6'5" defenseman with 5/5 skating.

I don't see the Broberg comparisons either, because Edvinsson is actually pretty good defensively. He uses his skating and size to aide his gap control.
If he interviews well for us, and seems coachable, we should really consider taking him. 

Edvinsson has Gudbranson written all over him. Hope I'm wrong for his sake - but that's the alarm bell that rings in my head when you put together the package of big, can skate, hits, shoots but doesn't really understand the game. yikes.