The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

33 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Rumor has it that they might be trading away the #9 pick. 

I sure hope not. Not with our trading ability. 

Someone should tell Taj that it's not a bombshell...

actually, someone should cut Taj's internet....

• Thanks 1

The Canucks are already going to be non-competitive this year because of the Luongo recapture handicap, so why trade away a top 10 pick to clear bad contracts that are in their last year? They should have just sucked one more year until the league's unfair kneecap penalty expired. At least AZ retained $1m of OEL salary...

1 hour ago, Xanlet said:

The Canucks are already going to be non-competitive this year because of the Luongo recapture handicap, so why trade away a top 10 pick to clear bad contracts that are in their last year? They should have just sucked one more year until the league's unfair kneecap penalty expired. At least AZ retained $1m of OEL salary...

Why would that be the reason lol 

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Schmidt on his own would easily get us back into the 1st round. He's a solid, proven top 4 D. That's what they go for.

Agreed.  My only concern is that he went for a 3rd last year and just came off a sub-par season.   Hope you're right though.   Maybe Schmidt + 2nd gets us in the Top 15?

11 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Agreed.  My only concern is that he went for a 3rd last year and just came off a sub-par season.   Hope you're right though.   Maybe Schmidt + 2nd gets us in the Top 15?

He went for a 3rd last year because teams were in even worse cap shape than they are this season. If you look at what guys are getting moved for, he's a solid top 4 throughout his career, he's signed at a reasonable cap hit for another 4 years, he's easily worth a 1st round pick.

I still don't really think that we're going to move him but who knows, we're overhauling the team and we might be interested in turning him into another forward, and then going shopping in Free Agency to see who else we can pickup. 

Personally, I'd rather have him back, he adds a LOT to our team.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He went for a 3rd last year because teams were in even worse cap shape than they are this season. If you look at what guys are getting moved for, he's a solid top 4 throughout his career, he's signed at a reasonable cap hit for another 4 years, he's easily worth a 1st round pick.

I still don't really think that we're going to move him but who knows, we're overhauling the team and we might be interested in turning him into another forward, and then going shopping in Free Agency to see who else we can pickup. 

Wouldn’t it be funny if Benning went and got a 1st today and still took a kid at the Draft?

Wouldn't that be funny?

I think that’d be funny.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I really can't see us netting much value off of Schmidt. If we get rid of him for value then it'll likely not be enough (can't see him getting a first) and getting rid of him for a 2nd just isn't enough value unless a good player drops. Might as well just see what we have with him.