The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

48 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

If we could move Schmidt and the pick for jones I would do it

Only if he is signed long term...

Currently 1 year then UFA by memory.  If he accepts a trade with an extension in place...

^ Even then, pretty nervous about a guy who wants out, makes demands. 

Has a similar view on politics, Covid, Trump & its his way or else...

• Vintage 2
3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, here is my thought of the day............

Vancouver #9, Schmidt, and 2023-1st

for 

Jones (sign and trade) and their 2021-2nd

Remember what it cost for Vancouver and Calgary to get Ballard and Hamonic respectively? 

And this is Seth Jones we are talking about ... There'sno way CBJ will ever agree to this 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, teepain said:

Keep the pick

sign jones ufa next year for free

Jones isn’t worth signing even as a UFA.   As a guy that had a below market value contract these past number of years, he’s going to be looking to get top dollar (9 million and up).  

Hampus Lindholm is a much better investment in terms of “bang for the buck,” (Jones is obviously the better player), and may also serve our needs better (Edler replacement + defensive conscience that can also move the puck up ice).  

Lindholm and Schmidt would honestly be one of the best defensive pairings in the league.......and they’d both have very good cap friendly cap hits.

Lindholm-Schmidt 

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers (or Rathbone)

Would be better than

Hughes-Jones

Edler-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers (or Rathbone)

in my opinion.  

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Hydration 1

TSN compared McTavish to Ryan O'Reilly... if that comparison is remotely accurate then I wouldn't mind that.

Also hope they try for an RHD with their later rounds e.g. Ceulemans and Lambos if they're still around.

• Hydration 2
28 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Seth Jones is 1 year away from UFA

He was ranked 40th in PPG of all Dmen, the same as last year

and had a -18 this year

He is not Superman, and he may not be the right guy, after saying that

Well the proposed term is CBJ will sign and trade. 

But as for Jones he's a near franchise 50 pt damn. So whatever the asking price is it's going to be very high 

15 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well the proposed term is CBJ will sign and trade. 

But as for Jones he's a near franchise 50 pt damn. So whatever the asking price is it's going to be very high 

I think he only had 1 50+ season, the last 2 were on a 41 over 82 game pace

And like I said -18

• Hydration 1

it seems like a tough pick for JB and the Canucks.  gut feel, not based on a lot, just looking around like a cdc_er, if I'm JB, i take a skilled bpa fwd at 9.  Fabian Lysell

Mason McTavish 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

and had a -18 this year

WoW !   Someone without rose colored glasses speaks the truth.

Thanks for bringing people down to earth with a touch of reality about this guy.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think he only had 1 50+ season, the last 2 were on a 41 over 82 game pace

And like I said -18

I think if he played a full 82 game season the prior 2 years he would have hit 50 pts.

As the the minus -18 I think these plus and minus is more reflective of the team than the player 

I am not saying Vancouver should do all they can to try and get him nor am I saying he would be a fit. But I think trying to trade for Jones is going to cost more 

Edited by iinatcc

Johnson is a feather weight and he is no Petey.

For those who are suggesting that McTavish has skating issues, LOL. I've seen one comment that said he lacked top end speed. He is a powerful skater with great mobility , edge work and very difficult to knock of his feet. He has a real nice stride and I think we have all seen plenty of players add a some quickness as they mature. Bo?

The biggest negative I can find is that he needs to get stronger.  He is 18 , right. Can play center? Maybe not at the NHL.  

This kid could be one of the best players in this draft class. Of coarse none of us are scouts.  

• Vintage 1

A lot of talk about possibly trading the pick.   

Let me ask you all this:   How is that going to impact the team in two years when nothing of note (without some pure freaking luck) is coming in after last years draft already leaving a hole in the lineup of consecutive impact players coming in?  Love Hogs, and for sure he could become an impact player, but he's no BB, EP or QHs yet either.     And no i'm not expecting one of those guys each year, but it sure would be nice to keep the streak going past Podz.    At this point it's only a for sure it got to QHs as well. 

This draft is a mystery so i'm not even going to try and guess who we should take (yet at least - maybe later).    Aside from Clarke or a C i don't really find another LHD that interesting.  

The only player i'd consider trading for is Seth Jones (with a re-sign agreement), to do this we'd need to move LE or buyout like crazy.    Which comes to the next question.   Is Seth Jones really enough?   Get at some point you need to go all-in.   

One bird in hand is better then two in the bush and all that...but you'd need to weigh this one carefully.    Horvat and Hamilton lead the list of best overalls the past decade.    Jones and Hamilton have  both had some Norris consideration.    Horvat has proved to be Captain clutch. 10 goals is no small thing.   The BEST we could hope for with our 9th is a player like these guys, both took time to get there.   More reasonable that we end up with something good, but not that good.   This draft is a mystery which boosts the idea of trading for a player around BB age. Who?   And if we did where is the money coming from? 

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

I hope the aggressive talk and potential of trading their pick is just posturing to please the all in crowd. 

This club will show an improvement next year without any big moves. Our biggest issue is the bottom six. We could use a solid defensive defenseman. 

Another full year of Hoglander,  the return of Petey and the addition of Podkolzin will push this club ahead.

Jim needs to do what he dose best and draft.

I'm leaning towards that scenario too.   It quite likely means playoffs depending on who the pick could be traded for.   Maybe not but for sure improves our odds of Parayoko or Jones is added to our blue line for example.    Or Sergachev or Chychrun.    

What is better for us in the long run?   Hard to know both have pro's and con's.    If it was one of the last two i'd do it in a blink but doubt they'd do that one for one.    Can see added value by jumping ahead past the ELC for an up and coming D like the last two and would do that sort of deal as it's also somewhat cost controlled.   Jones is a massive fish, and is also our biggest team weakness so get that deal as well.   

Do feel that two more great JB drafts would serve the team better on the long run though.    And yes that means we miss again next season.   Both ideas have merit. 

• Vintage 1
5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

and had a -18 this year

True, he didn't have a great season.   CLB didn't either.   He'd instantly become the 25-30 minute player this team needs though, does it all, PP, PK is 6'4" 220lbs,  scored at .50 PGP which is respectable even by his standards - and is a proven playoff performer.  

Has an NHL a record form playing 65:06 in one game ... QHs isn't ever going to do some of these things.    Second team all-star and close to a Norris one year two, as a 23ish year old that's pretty rare these days.      Better then picking up AP i think, although all that would have cost is cap space.     He's managed this playing in CLB.    Best season i'm sure without checking, corresponded with Panarin.   CLB definitely lacks high end skill, couldn't imagine the goals and apples QHs and Jones would pile up together forming probably our first legit first line unit all-time.     Also finished 28th in D scoring this year ... around some pretty big names, and Quant hockey has him 36th P/GP and some didn't play many games on that list. 

That said man would it be nice to pry Chychrun out of ARI.   What a monster he's becoming.    Gives some hope with OJ still....he's a rookie next year, maybe he's going to get PP time and could end up a 30-40 point D and plus 20 lol, coming out of nowhere and winning the Calder.   Since we are dreaming and all of that.    Agree Jones isn't superman, but he's a legit top ten RHD in this league, something we certainly don't have right now, or have in our prospect pool.  

The last four Norris voting: 14, 9, 4, 18 ... that's a number one RHD.  

• Hydration 2