The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?

Rate this topic

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

One game.  Unfortunate result but hockey play and no prior history.  Not sure how anyone can justify giving him the same as Reaves for his ground and pound.

Please elaborate on how that is a hockey play.?

Clean record or not that was clearly an act of frustration and intentional. I don't belive he intended to do the actual harm just like Bertuzzi didn't intend on the injury to Moore.

It's fine to argue this is a first offense and that you feel it's not as dirty as reeves hit but I am really keen to understand how you give it merit as a hockey play 

1 minute ago, iwtl said:

Please elaborate on how that is a hockey play.?

Clean record or not that was clearly an act of frustration and intentional. I don't belive he intended to do the actual harm just like Bertuzzi didn't intend on the injury to Moore.

It's fine to argue this is a first offense and that you feel it's not as dirty as reeves hit but I am really keen to understand how you give it merit as a hockey play 

It was a hit during the course of play while the player had the puck, as opposed to after the whistle while a player was down.  I don't like the hit and I do think it should be a suspension; I certainly wasn't happy with the result and am certainly not trying to justify it.

• Cheers 3

Just now, King Heffy said:

It was a hit during the course of play while the player had the puck, as opposed to after the whistle while a player was down.  I don't like the hit and I do think it should be a suspension; I certainly wasn't happy with the result and am certainly not trying to justify it.

That’s why I think no suspension, he was racing back to prevent a goal, not to throw a hit, the hit, when he got there, was probably his best chance of preventing the goal. I’d be surprised if the hit came more than 1/4 second after the puck crossed the line. As brutal as it was I see a hockey play.

13 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

That’s why I think no suspension, he was racing back to prevent a goal, not to throw a hit, the hit, when he got there, was probably his best chance of preventing the goal. I’d be surprised if the hit came more than 1/4 second after the puck crossed the line. As brutal as it was I see a hockey play.

Charging. 
period 

• Like 1

The hit to the head was going to occur goal or no goal. And the hit was rightfully so a major.

Had the canadian player not have been injured a 5 and or fine would suffice 

With the injury tge severity should dictate the discipline ..... but it won't. My bet is 5k fine is all

8 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Charging. 
period 

I don’t think he took any strides to go out of his way to make the hit, all his strides were to come back to prevent the goal, when he made the hit he was already gliding so I say charging, no way.

15 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I don’t think he took any strides to go out of his way to make the hit, all his strides were to come back to prevent the goal, when he made the hit he was already gliding so I say charging, no way.

He got a 5 minute charging penalty. He didn’t need to take any more strides. He was already going 30mph 

Just now, qwijibo said:

He got a 5 minute charging penalty. He didn’t need to take any more strides. He was already going 30mph 

By definition you need to take two or more strides to make the hit, if he didn’t it’s not charging.

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

By definition you need to take two or more strides to make the hit, if he didn’t it’s not charging.

"Charging is the action where a player takes more than two strides or travels an excessive distance to accelerate through a body check for the purpose of punishing the opponent."

Just now, qwijibo said:

"Charging is the action where a player takes more than two strides or travels an excessive distance to accelerate through a body check for the purpose of punishing the opponent."

He was skating back to prevent a goal, was he just supposed to stop and give up? There is no way when he started chasing he was thinking hit, he was trying to prevent the goal. Also when he made the hit he was not accelerating, he was coasting. He did not skate 200’ to make a hit.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

He was skating back to prevent a goal, was he just supposed to stop and give up? There is no way when he started chasing he was thinking hit, he was trying to prevent the goal. Also when he made the hit he was not accelerating, he was coasting. He did not skate 200’ to make a hit.

Except he made zero effort to prevent the goal. Zero.

• Vintage 1

Just now, qwijibo said:

Except he made zero effort to prevent the goal. Zero.

The hit was the attempt to prevent it, if he tried using his stick he could have easily poked the puck into his own net. The hit came a fraction of a second after the puck crossed the line, had it not everyone would be saying great hit. I’m sorry, I see no suspendible offence. 

• Vintage 1