The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?

Rate this topic

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, tas said:

brad marchand has made his bed by being a dirty player for a decade plus. 

He has but even so while I’m sure we would enjoy the schadenfreude  if that happened to him, I wouldn’t defend a player who delivered a bad hit. A bad hit is a bad hit regardless of who is one the end of it 

One token game is my call. 

Evans was in a dangerously high contact area and his head was down oblivious to the play. He should know he would get hit in this position and Scheiffle was doing his job to remove the player from the puck to prevent a goal.

This was not predatory,  it was a pure hockey play. His elbow was no up at all except it may have appeared that way from a follow through. Charging in accordance to the rule refers to distance travelled but the referees also have guidelines that speak to the number of strides taken. In black and white terms, every time a defenseman is hit in the boards retrieving a dump in it is a probably a charge but is never called, hence the need for guidelines for refs. 

I see #55 gliding in for the hit. I think this is a tad overblown but who knows, the DOP  makes things up as they go along based on actual results so anything is possible.

• Vintage 1

Didn't look like a hit to the head to me.....

Also, I get the charging call, but I'm not sure what a player is supposed to do when he's busting his hump trying to get back to prevent a goal....should he have stopped part way? Slowed down? I guess he could have not followed through at the end, but it's looks to me like contact was inevitable and hockey players are pretty much hard wired to knock each other down when they collide head on.

I'm thinking a game, because they the result was bad optics for the league and they'll feel like they had to do something, but Sheifele doesn't have a history, nor the reputation for dirty plays.

BTW: I don't agree that Evans was doing anything other than what he should. You need to put the game away in that situation. Sometimes, high speed collisions are unavoidable in the fastest league in the world and I think this was one of those times....

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1
2 hours ago, tas said:

anyone in here arguing that it was a clean hit, not suspendable, pretend it was pettersson instead of jake evans and then reevaluate how you'd feel. 

Pretend it was Marchand.

its a sad thing that you never see stuff like this again because all these idiots SJW who never played sports have an opinions. What happened to keep your head up and don't admire your pass. This generation of players are lucky Stevens and Kronwall are not playing

• Like 1
11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

One game.  Unfortunate result but hockey play and no prior history.  Not sure how anyone can justify giving him the same as Reaves for his ground and pound.

kind of reminds me of the Torres hit behind the net that he was suspended for like 20 games

• Hydration 1
4 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

kind of reminds me of the Torres hit behind the net that he was suspended for like 20 games

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

there was no need for the wraparound showmanship. there was a minute left. the game was over. that is hotdogging

Lmaoooo this is an all time bad take on a forum that is full of bad takes. Hotdogging? In a 1 goal game? Unreal. 

Edited by Kenny Blankenship
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
3 hours ago, tas said:

anyone in here arguing that it was a clean hit, not suspendable, pretend it was pettersson instead of jake evans and then reevaluate how you'd feel. 

Why?

Hitting is part of the game and I expect Petey to be aware of his surroundings, which he is quite good at. I doubt Petey would leave himself vulnerable like this. Looks like Scheiffle did let up in his strides for the hit. About the only thing he could have done otherwise was to stop and concede the goal which is something that will never happen in a Stanley Cup playoff game.

19 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

its a sad thing that you never see stuff like this again because all these idiots SJW who never played sports have an opinions. What happened to keep your head up and don't admire your pass. This generation of players are lucky Stevens and Kronwall are not playing

It’s usually the guys that have played sports and understand the severity of the injuries that want the excessively violent stuff gone. Hockey will always be a physical game, but I don’t get how you think it’s sad that you don’t get to see guys KO’d as much anymore. 

Just now, GarthButcher5 said:

Why?

Hitting is part of the game and I expect Petey to be aware of his surroundings, which he is quite good at. I doubt Petey would leave himself vulnerable like this. Looks like Scheiffle did let up in his strides for the hit. About the only thing he could have done otherwise was to stop and concede the goal which is something that will never happen in a Stanley Cup playoff game.

Did the hit prevent the goal?

• Hydration 1

Tbh don't have a problem with the hit.  I have more problems with the crap Reeves and Wilson gets away with.  

• Upvote 1

A few things:

1. I hope Jake Evans is alright.
  2. I don't understand why a player as talented as Sh!+fly...er I mean Scheifele needs to resort to this garbage.
  3. He should be suspended for 3-4 games, essentially the series.
  4. Scheifele is a dead man walking the next time he plays against the Habs, Having Weber, Chiarot, Edmundson all wanting to kill you must not be a good feeling.
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1