The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?

Rate this topic

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Tbh don't have a problem with the hit.  I have more problems with the crap Reeves and Wilson gets away with.  

I didn’t see anything wrong with the hit either. The Habs player had his head down and was low to the ice. What was Scheifele to do? Give him a freebie? Every play in playoffs mean something. One could easily say the play meant more to the Jets than it did to Montreal. 

If the NHL don’t want hitting in the game then be out front about it. This touchy feely BS is killing hockey.

• Hydration 1

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

It was a hit during the course of play while the player had the puck, as opposed to after the whistle while a player was down.  I don't like the hit and I do think it should be a suspension; I certainly wasn't happy with the result and am certainly not trying to justify it.

Stop twisting the fact. 

Scheifele knew the play was done. The puck has left Evans' stick, but he still went through with his hit. The hit was totally unnecessary, playoff hockey or not. And it leads to another scary, dangerous and potential concussion. Should be a game or 2 of suspension. I really do hate seeing people getting put into danger like this playing hockey.   

• Thanks 1

No issue with the hit. 

Hard, fast game. These collisions are inevitable, especially in the playoffs of a 1 goal game. 

Can you imagine how Scheifele teammates would feel seeing him do a fly by at that point of the game? He is their captain.

Can't believe people think this should be anything more than the call on the ice. Even the call on the ice was questionable, but the game is a 2 goal game late, would only turn into a brawl if he wasn't tossed

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

problem is the only way he gets to make the hit in the first place is by charging the kid. 

Scheifele stopped skating and started gliding just as he entered the blue line...on a play where the puck was dumped in, so every player is taking strides into the zone. How is that charging???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Stop twisting the fact. 

Scheifele knew the play was done. The puck has left Evans' stick, but he still went through with his hit. The hit was totally unnecessary, playoff hockey or not. And it leads to another scary, dangerous and potential concussion. Should be a game or 2 of suspension. I really do hate seeing people getting put into danger like this playing hockey.   

I already said I don't like the hit and agreed it's suspendable.  There's a middle ground between thinking it's clean and thinking Schieffle was trying to kill Evans. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Whorvat said:

Scheifele stopped skating and started gliding just as he entered the blue line...on a play where the puck was dumped in, so every player is taking strides into the zone. How is that charging???

the call on the ice was charging if you hadn't noticed. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

the call on the ice was charging if you hadn't noticed. 

So now we are taking calls on the ice as the ultimate source of truth? Have we never seen a call on the ice that wasn't deserved, or flat out incorrect?

That is not charging. The ref had to do something because of the optics, and its a 2 goal game late. It would be a brawl after if he was not tossed

3 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

From the NHL rule book...  "Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice."

I'm not sure how it could be anything but charging.

It wasn't necessary.  It wasn't going to prevent the goal.  And now the Jets will have to play without him.  This may sink the Jets for the series and if nothing else, Scheifele should have thought of that before he decided to demolish Evans.

• Vintage 1

So now we are taking calls on the ice as the ultimate source of truth? Have we never seen a call on the ice that wasn't deserved, or flat out incorrect?

That is not charging. The ref had to do something because of the optics, and its a 2 goal game late. It would be a brawl after if he was not tossed

MS came in fast and hard enough to completely level the kid. He didn't "glide in" thats ridiculous. The only way MS even gets to make that hit is coming in with speed.

Charging is the right call. When you come in that hard and fast you put people in danger, MS is lucky it wasn't a full on head shot as well. 

It actually could have prevented the goal, he was a split second late. Had he been there 1/10th of a second earlier, it could still be a 1 goal game

He will get suspended, but only because its 2021

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

It actually could have prevented the goal, he was a split second late. Had he been there 1/10th of a second earlier, it could still be a 1 goal game

He will get suspended, but only because its 2021

so if he was late, how is the hit clean?

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

If 1/10th of a second is the determining factor between clean and not, in the fastest game in the world.. man.

Love the hit. Hope Evans is ok.

The onus has to be on the puck carrier, too. Today's NHL lets the puck carrier do as they please with their heads in their chests, not even aware of their surroundings

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Really?

Given that as the new standard you will never see another body check.

Or 15 minor penalties per team per period.

• Hydration 3

Just now, gurn said:

Really?

Given that as the new standard you will never see another body check.

Or 15 minor penalties per team per period.

yes really, he could see the kid was vulnerable. Not sure how thats debatable. 

44 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

It’s usually the guys that have played sports and understand the severity of the injuries that want the excessively violent stuff gone. Hockey will always be a physical game, but I don’t get how you think it’s sad that you don’t get to see guys KO’d as much anymore. 

A lot guys have said it was clean

2 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

If 1/10th of a second is the determining factor between clean and not, in the fastest game in the world.. man.

Love the hit. Hope Evans is ok.

The onus has to be on the puck carrier, too. Today's NHL lets the puck carrier do as they please with their heads in their chests, not even aware of their surroundings

its not the only factor but its clear MS didn't have a chance on that puck and levelled the kid in a dangerous way. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. 

• RoughGame 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not the only factor but its clear MS didn't have a chance on that puck and levelled the kid in a dangerous way. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. 

Scheifele actually had a play on that puck. Whether you'd like to think so or not.

The play being to separate his man from the puck so the team could go the other way for a chance at a game tying goal.

You can damn well bet his teammates and coach would not have taken kindly to anything but making an attempt to separate the man from the puck there

Edited by Whorvat

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes really, he could see the kid was vulnerable. Not sure how thats debatable. 

Stick with what you said 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This means every single hit, is now a penalty if the oppossing player no longer has the puck.

The puck can now be 1 inch away, after player a passes it to a teamate, and then player B hits player A , and player B gets a penalty.

How much time elapsed from when the puck left Evans stick till S hit him?