The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?

Rate this topic

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

This

It’s still a charge, I don’t understand why this point keeps getting missed. It’s a dangerous play that could have been avoided. Everyone keeps saying that hitting him that way was the only way to prevent a goal, which is clearly wrong, seeing as he scored anyways. 

I guess....but the "charge" is a result of Sheifele having to skate the length of the rink at top speed. In the end, it comes down to was he trying to kill Evans, or was he trying to prevent a goal?

I think he was trying to prevent the goal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I dont understand all the outrage regarding the hit.

Do we give up on the play in hockey now?  It's a 7 game series.  The hit wasnt late. I dont think it was to the head. I dont think it was charging

It sends a message that there wont ever be an easy goal.

What the hell is wrong with everyone?

Should we all be playing with no contact jerseys?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, like I said earlier, all of that stuff is possible, but IMO, none of it is "clear". I'm just not comfortable in assuming that I know what's going on in a player's head, especially with that much on the line.

I guess where we differ is I think you can see that MS had a clear view of the whole thing the entire time. I have a hard time believing that he didn't see the goal was inevitable even though it happened very fast, it was all happening in plain view. He was coming in hard and chose to take the full hit on a player in a vulnerable position.  

But you raise a good point, how do you assess these things by not pretending to know what's in a players head? 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I dont understand all the outrage regarding the hit.

Do we give up on the play in hockey now?  It's a 7 game series.  The hit wasnt late. I dont think it was to the head. I dont think it was charging

It sends a message that there wont ever be an easy goal.

What the hell is wrong with everyone?

Should we all be playing with no contact jerseys?

How can you not think it was charging? 

I guess....but the "charge" is a result of Sheifele having to skate the length of the rink at top speed. In the end, it comes down to was he trying to kill Evans, or was he trying to prevent a goal?

I think he was trying to prevent the goal.

A charge is a charge though, it doesn’t matter what the intent was. He came in with excessive speed and blew the guy up. He wasn’t just trying to put the body on him, look at how huge his follow through is. And if people wanna say that his follow through was a result of the speed he was going then that proves the point even further. He’s charging a vulnerable player when he could have made another play. I just don’t think this kind of hit is good for the game. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess where we differ is I think you can see that MS had a clear view of the whole thing the entire time. I have a hard time believing that he didn't see the goal was inevitable even though it happened very fast, it was all happening in plain view. He was coming in hard and chose to take the full hit on a player in a vulnerable position.  

But you raise a good point, how do you assess these things by not pretending to know what's in a players head? 

Which is basically the crux of my argument across the board. It's entirely possible that he was frustrated and angry and decided to lower the boom on Evans out of spite....but it's also possible that he thought the hit would prevent a goal...

Everyone seems to have an opinion one way or another, but I don't. I just think there are two plausible theories and that opinion is based on decades of experience as a player.

5 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

A charge is a charge though, it doesn’t matter what the intent was. He came in with excessive speed and blew the guy up. He wasn’t just trying to put the body on him, look at how huge his follow through is. And if people wanna say that his follow through was a result of the speed he was going then that proves the point even further. He’s charging a vulnerable player when he could have made another play. I just don’t think this kind of hit is good for the game. 

I don't either, but I look at it as one of those unfortunate things that happen in a game that's played at 30 MPH. I just don't see "another play" being available when you're going at that speed and are focused on preventing a goal.

I'm fine with a charge and even a 5 minute major, as the league has to send a message. I'm just not convinced that the play was dirty and deserving of the kind of suspension length that many are calling for.

If Sheifele was a repeat offender, like Wilson or Raves, I might have a different opinion.

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Which is basically the crux of my argument across the board. It's entirely possible that he was frustrated and angry and decided to lower the boom on Evans out of spite....but it's also possible that he thought the hit would prevent a goal...

Everyone seems to have an opinion one way or another, but I don't. I just think there are two plausible theories and that opinion is based on decades of experience as a player.

OK, so from that pov, do you think that Evans was 1) in a vulnerable position? and 2) that MS wouldn't have been able to see that. 

I think thats what the suspension will come down to in the DoPS video. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK, so from that pov, do you think that Evans was 1) in a vulnerable position? and 2) that MS wouldn't have been able to see that. 

I think thats what the suspension will come down to in the DoPS video. 

Maybe. I'm not sure how "vulnerable position" factors into suspensions though. I still think it comes down to whether the DoPS believe he was trying to blow Evans up, or keep him from scoring.

I fully expect a suspension of a game or two, because the league hates the optics of a guy being taken off on a stretcher, but I'll be surprised if it's a significant length (like the balance of the series, or playoffs) as some are suggesting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe. I'm not sure how "vulnerable position" factors into suspensions though. I still think it comes down to whether the DoPS believe he was trying to blow Evans up, or keep him from scoring.

I fully expect a suspension of a game or two, because the league hates the optics of a guy being taken off on a stretcher, but I'll be surprised if it's a significant length (like the balance of the series, or playoffs) as some are suggesting.

It’s not an in person hearing. So 5 games is the max he’ll get.  

Edited by qwijibo

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've heard that come up in the past. I'll see if I can find a dops video. 

I see this on a spectrum of "dangerous but unintentional" to "intentional" so we'll see where it all lands. My bet is DoPS says something along the lines that MS had time to at least minimize the impact of the hit. 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

It’s not an in person hearing. So 5 games is the max he’ll get.  

True. Still I think my point holds. I'll be surprised if he gets more than a couple of games. If that happens, it would be a clear case of the league deciding that they know what is going through a player's mind and I don't believe they should be doing that.

True. Still I think my point holds. I'll be surprised if he gets more than a couple of games. If that happens, it would be a clear case of the league deciding that they know what is going through a player's mind and I don't believe they should be doing that.

Let’s not act like Schiefele is the victim here.  He made a dangerous hit on a vulnerable player.  It could very well end Evans career (based on his previous concussions).  I’m in the “throw the book at him” camp.  There was no need to make that hit. He made no effort to play the puck. He intended to blow up Evans.  Did he think about the consequences? Probably not.  

Edited by qwijibo

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Let’s not act like Schiefele is the victim here.  He made a dangerous hit on a vulnerable player.  It could very well end Evans career (based on his previous concussions).  I’m in the “throw the book at him” camp.  There was no need to make that hit. He made no effort to play the puck. He intended to blow up Evans.  Did he think about the consequences? Probably not.  

I think some of the defenders of the hit say the play MS had to prevent the goal was to make the hit, or at least thats what MS was thinking. 

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I don't believe I've done that.

• Upvote 1