Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Defense of JB and co

Rate this topic


Arrow 1983
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I wouldn't call  any of those 3 STUDS.   Demko had an average season - at best, Rathbone is unproven (like all of our AHL rookies) and hogs is certainly good - but not a Stud.   I think all the young draftees you mentioned and others have a long road to travel to prove themselves and I don't see any of them being Studs or Stars like Petterson or Boeser were. 

Most of them will likely never find a regular spot on the team or at best, become 3rd/4th liners, 3rd pairing D's or B U goalie.   I hope I'm wrong but according to neary all the pro scouts that's the reality of what we have in the cupboard not the propaganda coming out of JB's mouth or fantasy on twitter.  Not to mention draft seasons like last year, where there will NOT even be one player  making the team from that 2020 draft year, which was a 100% BUST thanks to JB !  (That's something this team can Ill afford and which our next GM will hopefully never repeat.)

R U SERIOUS….? Please explain, how 2020 was a 100% bust year?

Demko average at best? Ok…

Most will become 3rd or 4 th liners at best… what do you really expect, to get from round 2 and onwards?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

R U SERIOUS….? Please explain, how 2020 was a 100% bust year?

Demko average at best? Ok…

Most will become 3rd or 4 th liners at best… what do you really expect, to get from round 2 and onwards?

Well considering how this board is revering Benning like some kind of draft god. I am expecting something like Merchand/Point drafted in the 3rd round. But the best so far looks to be Demko (a goalie)/Gaudette/Forsling/Hoglander. That actually looks kinda below average to me. 

Edited by Drakrami
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Well considering how this board is revering Benning like some kind of draft god. I am expecting something like Merchand/Point drafted in the 3rd round. 

Yes, cause the drafts are flooded with that type of players after the 2nd round...

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes, cause the drafts are flooded with that type of players after the 2nd round...

 

?

 

Yes. There are 10-20 top 6/top4 players from round 2 onwards any given year. Since Benning has not caught any in his 7 years of drafting for us (unless you think Demko is one, but he is a goalie who is usually drafted low). Benning doesnt have the picking diamond in the rough ability of drafting in the lower rounds; which is like more than half of what drafting is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Drakrami said:

?

 

Yes. There are 10-20 top 6/top4 players from round 2 onwards any given year. Since Benning has not caught any in his 7 years of drafting for us (unless you think Demko is one, but he is a goalie who is usually drafted low). Benning doesnt have the picking diamond in the rough ability of drafting in the lower rounds; which is like more than half of what drafting is. 

Well Hoglander is a top 6, and according to a lot of Benning haters so was Gaudette, when he was sent packing.

I think Benning has drafted well, not exceptional but well. Diamonds in the rough remains to be seen, but Rathbone has started well so far...

 

To say all of 2020 draft picks are bust is ridiculous 1 year later, baring in mind he drafted from round 3 and onwards.

 

Just for clarification, you stated you expected a Marchand or Point in the 3rd round... they don't come that often...

But the team also needs 3rd and 4th line players as well as depth D-men, so picking those players in the later rounds is actually pretty good. Not something we've been that used to over the last 15 years...

 

Benning may get the sack at some stage, everyone does eventually, but it won't be because of his drafting....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, awalk said:

Defend not even making an offer to Toffoli.

And on a lesser note, defend letter Stecher walk.

-JB spoke with Toffoli and told him he was working on an offer for him, Toffoli signed with MTL before JB tabled that offer.

-Really, Stecher? Jordie Benn had a far better year than him.  Stecher was not very good here, and worse in Detroit.  Weird one to be hung up on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, BCNate said:

-JB spoke with Toffoli and told him he was working on an offer for him, Toffoli signed with MTL before JB tabled that offer.

-Really, Stecher? Jordie Benn had a far better year than him.  Stecher was not very good here, and worse in Detroit.  Weird one to be hung up on.

I've read that Toffoli instructed his agent to get a deal done with Vancouver, and Benning made no contact.

 

I disagree completely about Stech I think he is a solid D man and the type of depth D man we need.

 

Edit, Toffoli comments:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/toffoli-disappointed-canucks-didnt-offer-contract

“That’s why I wanted to come back to Vancouver. I could have seen myself finishing out my career there. But hockey is a business; I understand that. And at the end of the day, there was no offer from the Canucks’ end, so we had to go another direction. It was disappointing, but I knew that there was going to be a team out there that wanted me and saw me for the player I know I am.”

Edited by awalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, BCNate said:

  Stecher was not very good here, and worse in Detroit.

I didn't see a single Det game this past season due to the weird tv broadcast situation so I can't personally comment on Stecher's season there, but according to this report he in fact did quite well.

 

https://octopusthrower.com/2021/06/07/detroit-red-wings-player-grades-final4/2/

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I didn't see a single Det game this past season due to the weird tv broadcast situation so I can't personally comment on Stecher's season there, but according to this report he in fact did quite well.

 

https://octopusthrower.com/2021/06/07/detroit-red-wings-player-grades-final4/2/

 

 

That's fair, but in the context of a last place team.

 

There is really no stat that he put up this year that was not below his career average.

 

My tenant is a Wings fan, so watched more than the odd game with him, and heard a bunch of complaints about how many devastating turnovers he had.  Same issues he had here.  

 

Aside from being right handed, I don't see what he really brings.  I'd far rather have someone younger with more upside in that role, or Hamonic.

 

 

 

 

Edited by BCNate
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

R U SERIOUS….? Please explain, how 2020 was a 100% bust year?

Demko average at best? Ok…

Most will become 3rd or 4 th liners at best… what do you really expect, to get from round 2 and onwards?

Oh, i think you misunderstood.   I was refereeing to the draft.  The No 1st pick, the No 2nd pick and from the 3rd pick onward, all are described as marginal AHL players (at best)

 

This was also reiterated by another Pro Scout (Malloy) on Fridays edition of Donnie & Dhali on CHEK TV.   He said what all the other scouts have said that - that entire 2020 draft year will leave not a trace in the canucks organization.   Total Bust!   As for the 2020 playing season - yes that was a lucky - unexpected blip making it in to the playoffs from 17th position- for sure.  The guys definitely had horse shoes in their back pockets last year.

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, awalk said:

Defend not even making an offer to Toffoli.

And on a lesser note, defend letter Stecher walk.

From what I’ve heard, Aqua shut down buyouts last offseason so there just wasn’t the money to offer Toffoli... who at the time was a solid 20 goal guy who looked a little sluggish in the playoffs... not a 40 goal guy like he showed this season.  As has been pointed out a billion times, the cap situation changed drastically from when he was acquired to when it was time to re-sign him.
 

If the team (correctly) sees the window opening up next offseason that’s 2 years of Toffoli that would have been nice to have but aren’t making or breaking their status as contenders.  We’ll see how he holds up in 2 seasons. 

It just is what it is.  Benning isn’t going anywhere so may as well look forward rather than playing the hindsight game.

  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

From what I’ve heard, Aqua shut down buyouts last offseason so there just wasn’t the money to offer Toffoli... who at the time was a solid 20 goal guy who looked a little sluggish in the playoffs... not a 40 goal guy like he showed this season.  As has been pointed out a billion times, the cap situation changed drastically from when he was acquired to when it was time to re-sign him.
 

If the team (correctly) sees the window opening up next offseason that’s 2 years of Toffoli that would have been nice to have but aren’t making or breaking their status as contenders.  We’ll see how he holds up in 2 seasons. 

It just is what it is.  Benning isn’t going anywhere so may as well look forward rather than playing the hindsight game.

Who mismanaged the cap badly enough that we were in a situation to not be able to re-sign a 20 goal scorer and cup winner we just gave up a pretty good prospect and a high pick for?

This whole thread is for hindsight and judging the past LOL 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, awalk said:

Who mismanaged the cap badly enough that we were in a situation to not be able to re-sign a 20 goal scorer and cup winner we just gave up a pretty good prospect and a high pick for?

This whole thread is for hindsight and judging the past LOL 

Yes, Benning has made mistakes and bad signings, particularly around the cap. You can’t take a casual peek at Canuck related media without being inundated with them.   
 

I’ve been here the whole time - a lot of the moves made a lot of sense at the time but have since soured due to injury. 
 

There’s still enough capital built up that we have a legitimate shot at contention very soon even without Toffoli or Stecher.

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, awalk said:

Who mismanaged the cap badly enough that we were in a situation to not be able to re-sign a 20 goal scorer and cup winner we just gave up a pretty good prospect and a high pick for?

This whole thread is for hindsight and judging the past LOL 

i know right? every year he manage to sign a bad contract.. 2016 it's loui 2017 it's sam gagner 2018 Tim Schaller and over paying Beagle, 2019 offering multi year for Ferland with a chain of concussion history that no other team was willing to give him more than 1 year so we offer him 4 years lol.. unless he declares he's gonna retire.. we always have to be wary of him coming back and needing the cap space.. i guess last years the only year we didn't really make any bad signing.. well maybe virtanen.. shoulda just traded him for a pick and kept toffoli lol.. we ended up losing toffoli and prolly ended up either terminating virtanen or trading him for a 7th rounder or let him walk after the next season.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...