The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks and AVS/ TAMPA [Discussion]

With the rebuild being 7 years in the making, we have been compared lots to Toronto and Edmonton as they are north of the border. We have seen both teams fail despite having elite/ generational talent amongst them. The problem being the amount of $ tied up in those players.

Tampa has had definitely had the benefit of no tax in their state allowing players like Kucherov, stamkos, hedman to take good salaries.

Colorado has one of the best contracts in Super Mario. Yet Makar and Grubauer are both due to resign and their biggest % of cap is taken by Rantanen, a player who has scored 30G on average and had a break out season this year with 30G in less games.

With us being in the west we have to go through the AVS ultimately and Vegas to win a cup.

---

With no player making more then $10M in the cap era getting past the first round , other then Carey Price now. Cap management is a must to get depth players. If MacKinnon took a deal that he is worth, he would be making 11M plus imo, but that prevents the Avs from having an extra top 6 forward, a top 4Dman.

--

Now I know this is extreme, but I do see shades of the AVS in the Canucks.

Landeskog = Miller

MacKinnon = Petey

Rantanen = Boeser

Kadri/ Jost = Horvat

Makar = Hughes

Grubaeur = Demko

---

Now with the above being stated, yes I do realize the AVS are the better team, but with proper cap management we may have a chance to one day beat the AVS and win a cup.

If Petey and Hughes are both willing to take cap friendly deals, and with them hopefully seeing why the Leafs and Oilers fell. 

Petey @ 8M X 8 yrs , Hughes @ 7M x 8 years.

--

Demko imo took a cap friendly deal, he will be the 14th highest paid goalie in the league and one of the younger netminders. From the goalies that played half the games in the regular season (28GP) he had the 10th best Save Percentage (with the slow start from the team and COVID).

We do need to work on finding a cheaper replacement then Holtby come next year.

With Benning being aggressive in the off season and the ability to move salaries as per the Owners. In 2 to 3 years we will have to resign Horvat, Boeser, Miller (by then no $&!#ty contracts left (fingers crossed).

---

2022- 2023 Roster

Miller (7M) - Petey (8M) - Boeser (7.5M)

Hoglander (5M) - Horvat (7.5M) - Poldkozin (4.5M)

Pearson (3M)

Hughes (7M)

Schmidt/ Myers (12M)

Demko (5M)

-

Some may say its not reasonable to get Petey to take 8M with Ericksson making 6, remember that Boeser and Horvat took less then Ericksson!

---

The AVS highest 3F, 2D, 1G make 35M = 43% of the cap space.

The Lightning make 60.1M

Now why the Lightning is a powerhouse despite their high cap space is due to their drafting skills. Reasons why it will be beneficial to keep Benning. They find talent in their later picks and allow cheaper ELC contracts replace higher cap contracts (Miller).

--

Anyways this is me procrastinating and bored. Flame Away

30 minutes ago, internationalhippy said:

Colarados rebuild was Ryan  O'reilly, Paul stastny, Matt Duchene, Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk, Tyson Barrie and Gabriel Landeskog.   Kept Landeskog and rebuilt again. it was a 15 year process

They sucked at the level of Edmonton Oilers before they finally arrived.

MacKinnon took a step back for few years after that brilliant rookie season.

Landeskog sort of underachieved -- well, to be fair, the expectations were way too high on him to be the next Forsberg.

Trading a me first player in Duchene was a brilliant move by Sakic. It was an addition by subtraction and paved the way open for MacKinnon, Landeskog, and Raantanen to take over the team.

As the OP states, we've got a good core group. We need to carefully chisel out the remaining roster positions for us to reach another level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

With the rebuild being 7 years in the making, we have been compared lots to Toronto and Edmonton as they are north of the border. We have seen both teams fail despite having elite/ generational talent amongst them. The problem being the amount of $ tied up in those players.

Tampa has had definitely had the benefit of no tax in their state allowing players like Kucherov, stamkos, hedman to take good salaries.

Colorado has one of the best contracts in Super Mario. Yet Makar and Grubauer are both due to resign and their biggest % of cap is taken by Rantanen, a player who has scored 30G on average and had a break out season this year with 30G in less games.

With us being in the west we have to go through the AVS ultimately and Vegas to win a cup.

---

With no player making more then $10M in the cap era getting past the first round , other then Carey Price now. Cap management is a must to get depth players. If MacKinnon took a deal that he is worth, he would be making 11M plus imo, but that prevents the Avs from having an extra top 6 forward, a top 4Dman.

--

Now I know this is extreme, but I do see shades of the AVS in the Canucks.

Landeskog = Miller

MacKinnon = Petey

Rantanen = Boeser

Kadri/ Jost = Horvat

Makar = Hughes

Grubaeur = Demko

---

Now with the above being stated, yes I do realize the AVS are the better team, but with proper cap management we may have a chance to one day beat the AVS and win a cup.

If Petey and Hughes are both willing to take cap friendly deals, and with them hopefully seeing why the Leafs and Oilers fell. 

Petey @ 8M X 8 yrs , Hughes @ 7M x 8 years.

--

Demko imo took a cap friendly deal, he will be the 14th highest paid goalie in the league and one of the younger netminders. From the goalies that played half the games in the regular season (28GP) he had the 10th best Save Percentage (with the slow start from the team and COVID).

We do need to work on finding a cheaper replacement then Holtby come next year.

With Benning being aggressive in the off season and the ability to move salaries as per the Owners. In 2 to 3 years we will have to resign Horvat, Boeser, Miller (by then no $&!#ty contracts left (fingers crossed).

---

2022- 2023 Roster

Miller (7M) - Petey (8M) - Boeser (7.5M)

Hoglander (5M) - Horvat (7.5M) - Poldkozin (4.5M)

Pearson (3M)

Hughes (7M)

Schmidt/ Myers (12M)

Demko (5M)

-

Some may say its not reasonable to get Petey to take 8M with Ericksson making 6, remember that Boeser and Horvat took less then Ericksson!

---

The AVS highest 3F, 2D, 1G make 35M = 43% of the cap space.

The Lightning make 60.1M

Now why the Lightning is a powerhouse despite their high cap space is due to their drafting skills. Reasons why it will be beneficial to keep Benning. They find talent in their later picks and allow cheaper ELC contracts replace higher cap contracts (Miller).

--

Anyways this is me procrastinating and bored. Flame Away

I dont think there is any need to flame you. Interesting thoughts on things.

My assessment at this stage would be:

Landeskog = Miller

Mackinnon > EP

Rantanen > Boeser

Kadri/Jost < Horvat

Makar > Hughes

Grubauer = Demko

I think the main difference though is that the Avs play a very different style than the Canucks. 

The Canucks defensive style in particular is ill suited for playoff success. And their offensive style almost keeps guys like Miller, EP, and Boeser from getting to the level of their Avs counterparts.

I dont think the core of the Canucks is bad. The opposite actually. I think they are not being utilized peopetly though to take full advantage of their abilities.

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

We should sign Diesel so we can be Fast & Furious too! 

Then we should sign Emil and draft Luke cause with Vin the only thing that matters is family. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, internationalhippy said:

The rebuild is 4 years going on 5th. first 3 years of Benning era we were going for it. Petey was the beginning of the rebuild not Bo, Not jake, not Brock

Going for it by having a career AHL head coach be the guy coaching the Vancouver Canucks.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, internationalhippy said:

If we are being compared to edmonton and toronto. Then you should note that they had to rebuild twice, their first go around was a dud

And they still suck:towel:

3 hours ago, Aladeen said:

Then we should sign Emil and draft Luke cause with Vin the only thing that matters is family. 

I think Green has about 10-15 games next season to show he can win or he'll be replaced

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Petey is nothing like McKinnon. 

The Avs are fast and furious, the Canucks are not

Petey is ahead of Mackinnon in his trajectory. Not saying he will be better then Mackinnon in the end but your statement is premature 

3 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

I think Green has about 10-15 games next season to show he can win or he'll be replaced

you sign a guy to a two year deal and put him on a 15 game leash?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, internationalhippy said:

Colarados rebuild was Ryan  O'reilly, Paul stastny, Matt Duchene, Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk, Tyson Barrie and Gabriel Landeskog.   Kept Landeskog and rebuilt again. it was a 15 year process

Very few canucks fans see this or choose not to. Florida is turning the corner now after how many years, Minny? No team is built for longevity from a gimme now attitude.