The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mikko Rantanen writes letter, has $2,000 diving fine rescinded

Rate this topic

In the past, we have heard about penalties being rescinded, suspensions being appealed and shortened, but have you ever heard about fines being rescinded? Well, it just happened:

Colorado Avalanche forward Mikko Rantanen was fined for diving/embellishment on April 30.

He disagreed with the fine, and wrote a letter to protest the decision.

“I was furious, and called the guy who’s leading the department that handles these fines [NHL Hockey Operations]. I told him that I disagree with the fine.”

“The guy said they have a nine member board that votes on this stuff. I wrote an email there where I explained the play and what caused me to fall down. I showed it to my teammates as well and they said I might make it into law school after my career”.

“It was a ‘toe pick’ as they say in English –  the tip of my skate blade got caught in the ice which led to me falling down. It probably looked like I embellished, but that’s what happened. Then they overturned the ruling and removed my fine.”

The NHL reportedly rescinded the fine, presumably giving Rantanen his $2000 back.

While Rantanen may have been right in this case, he’s still found himself on the wrong side of the diving/embellishment rule in the past.   He received a warning for diving/embellishment against the Coyotes on March 23.  During the 2018-19 season, Rantanen was cited for diving against the Rangers on October 16, then again in November against the Bruins, resulting in a $2000 fine.

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2021/06/31800/avs-rantanen-writes-letter-has-2000-diving-fine-rescinded/

• Vintage 4

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Mikko Rantanen writes letter, has $2,000 diving fine rescinded
Posted (edited)

Lol wonder if this starts a precedent for players arguing things as toe-picks.  

What are we waiting for, let's write a letter to say we disagree with Luongo's cap recapture.   

Oh they'll have examples/ reasons to point out alright.

Edited by Phil_314

Rantin' Rantanen...love what he did.  We need some Canucks management, coaches, players, support staff, ownership, etc. that will flip tables over, scream at a few of knuckleheads in the NHL office.  Being the so called "nice guy" organization hasn't served the organization all that well.  It's time to put on the truculent coat and acting like a bully (not that I condone this sort of behavior outside of the Canucks/NHL).

• RoughGame 1

Bahhh..don't Walmart own this Avs brand? League kowtows to some, & it's fire & brimstone for others.

8 decades back, this was kindly illustrated in Eric Arthur Blair's, "Animal Farm".  "All are equal. Some more equal than others."

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

8 decades back, this was kindly illustrated in Eric Arthur Blair's, "Animal Farm".  "All are equal. Some more equal than others."

George Orwel?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cold said:

George Orwel?

Yeah...he's trying to impress everyone by knowing Orwell's real name....

...if you listen closely, you can hear Reg Dwight playing piano in the background....B)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

...if you listen closely, you can hear Reg Dwight playing piano in the background....B)

Fair enough. Reg Dwight I knew, so 1 for 2? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Hydration 1

45 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

.if you listen closely, you can hear Reg Dwight playing piano in the background....B)

Vince Fournier is getting ready to do vocals, good timing as Schools Out, soon, For Summer.

• Hydration 1

On 6/5/2021 at 8:16 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

Apologies if it sounds pretentious..but he wrote(not only a game-changing novel), but what may end up being one of humanity's most important early warnings, that could ever be imagined.

Any of us could watch the BBC doc(youtube), & see this was a great person who wrote for(& connected with) the common man. Yet we see his pen-name in Oxford/Merriam(etc...) dictionaries, implying tyrannical-governance that watches everything & everyone.

The man simply deserves to be remembered by his real name.

53 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Apologies if it sounds pretentious..but he wrote(not only a game-changing novel), but what may end up being one of humanity's most important early warnings, that could ever be imagined.

Any of us could watch the BBC doc(youtube), & see this was a great person who wrote for(& connected with) the common man. Yet we see his pen-name in Oxford/Merriam(etc...) dictionaries, implying tyrannical-governance that watches everything & everyone.

The man simply deserves to be remembered by his real name.

Actually, I was just being a smartass...

Cheers. :)

• Hydration 1