The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Muller as Canucks Assistant Coach?

Rate this topic

Provost

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

He ran back to Montreal pretty quick, doubt he comes here when they only hire french speaking coaches...that limits your choices

Like all coaches; good and bad, Burr will get his exit papers at some point.  That is when he will return to Canuck Land.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Muller, wouldn't be my 1st choice but anyone is better than Bumgartner or Brown. Also, if they brought someone in like him coach Green has a replacement right beside him if the season starts $&!#ty like this year...difference is, there will be fans booing and calling for someone to get fired and the owner can't hide behind twitter when there are thousands voicing their displeasure 

Good point but Green was signed to a multi year; probably first year Green gets a pass and IF Mueller is brought in this year he will have a year to asses the system & roster.  

I always liked Muller - as a player, as a captain, as a coach.

The job he did in Montreal has been misrepresented imo already on these boards - in the Jets/Habs series threads - and then again in here (as if he did a horrible job with the Habs powerplay = not gonna repost what's already been said).

Not gonna bother to ask folks in here why they think he'd be a 'good choice' or not either - all I've seen thus far is a thread of one-liners.

Added bonus - if it would shut up all the endless pissing and moaning posts about Brown - that alone might be worth it.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Burrows runs a similar system to Brown, which clearly doesn't work here; he is also doing well in Montreal and unlikely to want to leave.  Muller's got a ton of experience and wouldn't have gotten the opportunity as a head coach if he wasn't a damn good assistant.  Brown and Baumgartner were huge problems for us last year; I am hopeful that this shows that management is going to force Green to hire actual coaches to assist him instead of those clowns.

Not sure you've earned the right to call anyone in the NHL a "clown"

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Provost said:

In most organizations they can do more than one thing at a time without “running out of time”.

True enough, but we “don’t have all the information”.  Jim’s quotes have been Gold this year.  :towel:

• Haha 1

Anyone know the current contract statuses of Brown & Baumer?

Kirk seems like a Newell Brown replacement considering he is an experienced PP associate coach. Like Brown, he's had a up and down years but I could see him being a change-for-the-sake of change hire.

Of course he has lots of different experience and could play any role. As Don Taylor stated, Muller could just be a replacement for Manny Malhotra as he was not replaced.

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Anyone know the current contract statuses of Brown & Baumer?

Kirk seems like a Newell Brown replacement considering he is an experienced PP associate coach. Like Brown, he's had a up and down years but I could see him being a change-for-the-sake of change hire.

Of course he has lots of different experience and could play any role. As Don Taylor stated, Muller could just be a replacement for Manny Malhotra as he was not replaced.

Muller will have a position on the bench, I doubt he would take the lower role that Manny had.

He has experience running a powerplay so the obvious fit would be replacing Brown.

I’m more interested to see if they replace Baumer and who that would be. That is the biggest area of improvement this team needs IMO. Our defense was a mess last year and has been for awhile.

Could we convince Robinson to get back behind the bench? Is Niedermayer looking to try his hand at coaching? Would any out of work head coaches be interested in an assistant coaching role?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you need to take a wider look than just one year. Under most of his career with MTL it was up over 20%. 

Its a very good idea, imo anyway, to bring in more experience on our bench. I'm thrilled for Burr but he's only been an assistant NHL coach for a few games, its not really possible to compare Burr vs Muller, and not sure how useful that is. I'd like both. 

My comment was a little “tongue in cheek” and I agree we should hire an assistant coach with more NHL experience like say Baumgartner

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you need to take a wider look than just one year. Under most of his career with MTL it was up over 20%. 

Its a very good idea, imo anyway, to bring in more experience on our bench. I'm thrilled for Burr but he's only been an assistant NHL coach for a few games, its not really possible to compare Burr vs Muller, and not sure how useful that is. I'd like both. 

If memory serves, Muller also coached the power play in St. Louis, which was probably top-5 in the league in the two seasons that he was there (2014-16).

Plus the 2019 WC, where Canada won Silver, and had the top power play through the tournament (IIRC Muller was the coach tasked with running it).

He has a pretty good reputation, and obviously a wealth of experience, both as a player and a coach.

Of course, every coach eventually fails, for a variety of reasons (often roster related), and ultimately gets fired. There’s just a shelf life, it seems, with NHL coaches, and good coaches can get bad results, or things just grow stale, even when they’re doing their jobs well.

I think Muller, who’s known as a “player’s coach,” in the modern sense, could actually fit in pretty well on a Travis Green staff. He’d probably step in as Green’s #2, possibly even in an associate coach role, and likely handling the forwards and the power play. He would clearly be a Brown replacement (can’t really see how they’d both fit on a staff), but might also replace a little bit of what we lost when Malhotra moved on. Muller has the reputation of being very approachable, an open communicator, and good at working with younger players.

And I think Green and Muller probably even played together on the Islanders during the mid ‘90s, so there might already be a relationship there.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Muller will have a position on the bench, I doubt he would take the lower role that Manny had.

He has experience running a powerplay so the obvious fit would be replacing Brown.

I’m more interested to see if they replace Baumer and who that would be. That is the biggest area of improvement this team needs IMO. Our defense was a mess last year and has been for awhile.

Could we convince Robinson to get back behind the bench? Is Niedermayer looking to try his hand at coaching? Would any out of work head coaches be interested in an assistant coaching role?

I agree that the most visible failures were systematic + to do with the back end. I would be happy if they replaced Baumer.

I doubt Larry Robinson would return at this point.

But I think there are some interesting names out there. Karl Taylor is probably close to being in line for a head coach job, but maybe he'd wanna cut his NHL teeth as an assistant, and his AHL teams have been tight defensively.

Craig Ramsay has been active for the last 5 years in Slovakia and was known as a solid systems guy in Tampa when they won the cup - also coached with Roger Neilson during the one decent Philly run of that era. Coached under Scotty Bowman as well. If the Canucks are looking for an exp. guy, could be him. Wonder how Brent Sutter is feeling these days after firing himself as the Red Deer head coach too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Added bonus - if it would shut up all the endless pissing and moaning posts about Brown - that alone might be worth it.

Can we still whine about Baumer then? ;-)

Edited by J-P
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, laddie said:

Their power play was horrible under Muller and didn’t improve until March when Alex Burrows took over. Perhaps we should consider bringing Burrows back as an Assistant Coach instead.

Except Burrows is still employed by Montreal 

• Cheers 1