The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Muller as Canucks Assistant Coach?

Rate this topic

Provost

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Really liking what I’m seeing potentially develop. If Muller and Shaw are brought in to replace Brown and Baumgartner, this bodes extremely well for the team next season. Green is a good coach who I believe needs better assistants to take the Canucks further. 

Interesting to note that Shaw came into Columbus  in Jones second season which was his breakout season.

He would have been a big part of his development. Will be interesting to see if those dots connect.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Apparently Brad Shaw is the other name associated with the Canucks.

It was announced last month that Shaw wouldn’t be returning to Columbus, so he’s available.

He’s a 23 year veteran coach, 18 spent in the NHL as either an assistant or associate, and he played around 1000 games as a defenseman, split between the NHL, AHL, and IHL.

If hired, Shaw would obviously be the Baumgartner replacement.

EDIT: Muller and Shaw also worked on the same coaching staff in St. Louis, from 2014-16, under Hitchcock.

I'm all in on this seriously Baumer is not a good D coach

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Really liking what I’m seeing potentially develop. If Muller and Shaw are brought in to replace Brown and Baumgartner, this bodes extremely well for the team next season. Green is a good coach who I believe needs better assistants to take the Canucks further. 

Probably the same can be said about JB getting better assistants to continue to evolve as a GM ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

12 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Probably the same can be said about JB getting better assistants to continue evolve as a GM ?

Nah, JB is just trash and there’s no fixing it. :ph34r:

(kidding)

I think adding better assistants definitely wouldn’t hurt, especially ones that might offer different perspectives or have strengths in areas Benning has weaknesses. I’ve been rough on JB at times (also have been pretty kind, IMO), but I do think he’s improving his performance over time as GM. I still think the front office and management team could definitely use some work, but that doesn’t necessarily mean his removal is the only answer.

Honestly, nothing would make me happier than to see Benning deliver a Cup winner as Vancouver GM.

I don’t have the same faith as some of you guys, but even when I’m criticizing management, I’m still rooting for them.

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

(kidding)

I think adding better assistants definitely wouldn’t hurt, especially ones that might offer different perspectives or have strengths in areas Benning has weaknesses. I’ve been rough on JB at times (also have been pretty kind, IMO), but I do think he’s improving his performance over time as GM. I still think the front office and management team could definitely use some work, but that doesn’t necessarily mean his removal is the only answer.

Honestly, nothing would make me happier than to see Benning deliver a Cup winner as Vancouver GM.

I don’t have the same faith as some of you guys, but even when I’m criticizing management, I’m still rooting for them.

Same; and to many moving parts for one person to take all the blame/credit but that is the nature of the job/business.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Interesting to note that Shaw came into Columbus  in Jones second season which was his breakout season.

He would have been a big part of his development. Will be interesting to see if those dots connect.

Shaw also had a hand in helping develop Parayko. I’d rather those dots connect. 

The twins are just too smart to take those roles this early, if indeed they were offered. Especially after seeing what happened with Linden. But even without that reminder, these are guys who want to earn it, learn the business from the ground up, and make sure that if and when they are handed the keys to running a team, it’s a long term gig, and one where they are going to be successful, as in building a Cup contender/winner, and not just being window dressing or a shield for ownership.

yup, I'm excited to see where they are at 3-4 years from now. 

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It was announced last month that Shaw wouldn’t be returning to Columbus, so he’s available.

He’s a 23 year veteran coach, 18 spent in the NHL as either an assistant or associate, and he played around 1000 games as a defenseman, split between the NHL, AHL, and IHL.

EDIT: Muller and Shaw also worked on the same coaching staff in St. Louis, from 2014-16, under Hitchcock.

Hopefully, this is what aggressive offseason meant.  Maybe Schmidt, offered some perspective from his POV of the difference in systems ???

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

On board with this. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Shaw also had a hand in helping develop Parayko. I’d rather those dots connect. 

Also was there for Tarasenko’s rookie season who was in a similar situation to Podkolzin coming over from SKA.

Hopefully he could be a part of helping Podz transition to North American life.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Shaw coached the defence and PK in St. Louis.

From 2012-16, the four years when he was associate coach behind Hitchcock, the Blues had the NHL’s 3rd highest winning percentage, 2nd lowest goals against, and the #1 PK%.

He also helped develop Dmen like Pietrangelo and Parayko.

He would be a huge upgrade over Baumgartner.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, perhaps during the exit interviews they were able to offere a different POV ?

I certainly hope so. I couldn’t imagine that any of the defensemen were happy with the shots of goal per game and how easy they made it for teams to enter the zone. 

(kidding)

I dont care who the GM who delivers a cup to Van as long as it happens before I die lol.

The team needs a President in the worst way, especially if they are keeping Benning. And an assistant GM who isnt just basically a clone of JB (focus on drafting themselves, suspect pro scouting ability, sketchy contract valuations, micro managers) would be helpful.

The Canucks could do themselves a favor by having someone above Benning that he has to answer to.

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I certainly hope so. I couldn’t imagine that any of the defensemen were happy with the shots of goal per game and how easy they made it for teams to enter the zone. 

Yeah, Ham & Schmidt would be able to offer those insights that might help management look in a different direction rather than more roster tinkering - perhaps cheaper to higher veteran coaches for mentoring reasons rather than overpaying a veteran player for the same reason(s).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1