The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Muller as Canucks Assistant Coach?

Rate this topic

Provost

12 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

My hunch is Burrows is their pre game dynamite. The team reflects his all out effort. Sign him if possible. I think Hansen deserves a shot before Muller. 

Hansen I believe could be a great coach but he needs to put in his dues first, like burrows has done before we give him a spot.

would be more than happy to have Hansen be part of the Abby back room 

• Vintage 1

Seems like the Brad Shaw rumour is actually stronger than the Muller one (despite the thread title). The Muller stuff I’ve only really heard coming from Dhaliwal (and then discussed by others) but I’ve actually heard talk about Shaw coming from a few different places, with rumour heating up over the weekend and into this week.

I’d be happy if the organization is seriously pursuing Shaw. He’s an excellent coach and could work wonders with the defence and PK, as well as provide some very good all around support for Green.

I would still like to see a Brown replacement as well, whether it’s Muller or someone else. I just feel like Brown is past his expiry date and has grown stale in his role, and a new voice and fresh approach is needed, when it comes to the power play.

Also, I just like the idea of adding another high level talent to the staff. So long as the dynamic works (and it’s not a “too many generals” situation), it would be great to have multiple NHL head coach level guys bringing their knowledge and experience to this team’s coaching staff.

I still like the idea of having both Muller and Shaw, as the main assistants. They’ve worked together in the past, and enjoyed success. And both would represent serious upgrades to the staff.

I have actually heard some suggestions that Baumgartner could get replaced (as far his current role) but still stay on with the the organization, in some capacity (possibly even remaining on the NHL team coaching staff, even if a new defensive coach, like a Brad Shaw, is added). Apparently, Baumer is very well liked, and obviously he’s been with the organization a long time. He started coaching right after he retired as a player. Played for the team for about ten seasons (mostly in the minors), and then moved behind the bench, first in Chicago, then Utica, and finally called up with Green to Vancouver. He’s actually coached for this organization for longer than Travis Green, and been working for the team for nearly 20 years, either as a player or coach, so I can understand why there might be some loyalty and the team would look to keep him around in some capacity. And it sounds like inside the organization, Baumer is considered to have done good work as a coach, so if another guy (like Shaw) is brought in, it’s more to upgrade the staff, versus fire and replace Baumer due to poor performance or dissatisfaction with his work.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Hansen I believe could be a great coach but he needs to put in his dues first, like burrows has done before we give him a spot.

would be more than happy to have Hansen be part of the Abby back room 

I have been really impressed by Hansen’s interviews.  He clearly still follows the game (and the team) closely.  He also seems to not just have a player’s perspective and has good thoughts on cap management and roster building.

I could see him getting involved in management rather than coaching at some point.

It is hard to remember that these are really young guys still even if they are old hockey players.

Hansen is just 35, so I can imagine after a couple of years sitting at home enjoying post hockey life he would want to look for some challenges and a new career.

• Like 4

On 6/8/2021 at 5:42 AM, Provost said:

I have been really impressed by Hansen’s interviews.  He clearly still follows the game (and the team) closely.  He also seems to not just have a player’s perspective and has good thoughts on cap management and roster building.

I could see him getting involved in management rather than coaching at some point.

It is hard to remember that these are really young guys still even if they are old hockey players.

Hansen is just 35, so I can imagine after a couple of years sitting at home enjoying post hockey life he would want to look for some challenges and a new career.

He'll need to wait for the Sedins join the team. Intelligent people find ways to solve problems, Hansen is an intelligent person. Vcr needs more intelligence and less old school, we're being left behind. Burrows I'm expecting good things from, he has that passion for the sport that over rides bad times

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is Treliving obsessed with Benning? 

We should start a rumour LE is in b!tchen mid prime shape and other teams have be kicking tires about whether or not he's available ... 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

So basically Treliving saw we were interested and went out and signed him?

Does that guy do anything original anymore? :lol:

Regardless the Flames will be Sutter’s team. Doubt Muller will have much autonomy.

We should make it known that we are trying to extend Loui’s contract. Maybe Treliving will interject and do a sign and trade.

• Haha 2