The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks and Detroit

I have seen a couple of Detroit writer and mock draft posts suggesting they need to stock some goalie prospects and might even consider taking Wallstedt with their pick.

It is pretty unusual to take a goalie that high, and any goalie is probably a ways away from being a starter as they take longer to develop.

DiPietro is still highly rated and much closer to an NHL gig as a back up as soon as 2022.

With only a year left on his contract, would Detroit consider DiPietro for an Eriksson cap dump?  Detroit could get their goalie prospect AND pick another player to help them in another position.  

I say it is worth it for us because it actually gives us a chance to sign Petterson and Hughes to long term contracts instead of short bridge deals.  There will never be a better time to lock in guys for long term as the cap will be effectively flat for several years and you don't have to price in inflation.  It also gives the agent a chance to structure the deal around mandated escrow to ensure their client makes as much take home cash as possible for the same cap hit... where a bridge deal doesn't give as much flexibility.

I don't want to be renegotiating both our star players in 3 years.

• Cheers 2

Our top prospect right now (till we draft someone this year at 9)is probably Dipietro in our system and been working with Ian. Detroit is loaded with RHD so we definitely would good be trading partners. Not sure how high they are on mikey but do u have a defenseman in mind that u like?

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

I have seen a couple of Detroit writer and mock draft posts suggesting they need to stock some goalie prospects and might even consider taking Wallstedt with their pick.

It is pretty unusual to take a goalie that high, and any goalie is probably a ways away from being a starter as they take longer to develop.

DiPietro is still highly rated and much closer to an NHL gig as a back up as soon as 2022.

With only a year left on his contract, would Detroit consider DiPietro for an Eriksson cap dump?  Detroit could get their goalie prospect AND pick another player to help them in another position.  

I say it is worth it for us because it actually gives us a chance to sign Petterson and Hughes to long term contracts instead of short bridge deals.  There will never be a better time to lock in guys for long term as the cap will be effectively flat for several years and you don't have to price in inflation.  It also gives the agent a chance to structure the deal around mandated escrow to ensure their client makes as much take home cash as possible for the same cap hit... where a bridge deal doesn't give as much flexibility.

That's not a bad idea actually but I think doing so might be akin to robbing Peter to pay Paul.  

Yes, we'd save short term money by dumping Eriksson, but we'd then have to shell out money for a back-up once Holtby leaves.  

In today's NHL, you need two decent goalies.    An entire season could be lost if a guy like Demko went down and a mediocre goalie had to fill the void.  

Canucks have a great situation right now with their goaltending.    Dipietro will have one more year to develop in the minors, and should then be ready to fill in as the back-up once Holtby leaves.  Dipietro will be a very cheap back-up option.   

So - great idea, but I'm going to have to say no.

DiPietro played very well in pressure games in Vancouver, in front of a packed house, and then showed a ton of character sticking up for his teammates who'd hung him out to dry.  I'd rather keep him around to push Demko and give us a strong tandem.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

DiPietro played very well in pressure games in Vancouver, in front of a packed house, and then showed a ton of character sticking up for his teammates who'd hung him out to dry.  I'd rather keep him around to push Demko and give us a strong tandem.

Unless its the right deal. Ian should be the only guy looking at all the goalie prospects and should have full control of which goalie we should draft and who he wants to work with.

• Like 1

Detroit has picks #6, 24, 37, 47, 52, 69, 89, 101, 133, 165, 197 , something like that if the site I saw is correct.  I think Yzerman could find his goalie one way or another without taking our cap dump.  That's a lot of draft currency to work with right there.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Detroit has picks #6, 24, 37, 47, 52, 69, 89, 101, 133, 165, 197 , something like that if the site I saw is correct.  I think Yzerman could find his goalie one way or another without taking our cap dump.  That's a lot of draft currency to work with right there.

Wow thats how u stuff your prospect cupboard 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Provost said:

From the reports of Eliot and other media members it sounds like the players themselves would want a short term deal to out weight the stagnation of the cap.

Of course from other reports it's said that the cap is going to be the same for the next 5 years or something ridiculous... I doubt it personally I think when fans come back teams will make money and the NHLPA will pressure for the cap to increase

Guess what I'm saying is I don't think our cap situation is the main reason why Petey and Hughes are likely getting short term deals

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Wow thats how u stuff your prospect cupboard 

Yup, proper GM doing proper things...must be nice when that happens lol. Canucks never had a single draft remotely close to that in the way of draft picks. 

Is DiPietro = 1st?  I don't think so.  Cuz from past trades, it takes a 1st to get rid of contracts like LE.  So at least a 2nd or another top prospect is needed.

Rather just ride our 1 more year of LE instead weakening our prospect depth.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Provost said:

I doubt the Red Wings would be looking for an emerging NHL goalie such as DiPietro under the terms laid out in the above proposal.  The Wings have a kid named Keith Petruzelli who is coming off of two outstanding seasons as a junior and senior at Quinnipiac University who they are pretty high on.  They also have a bunch of goalie prospects in Europe so there isn't a shortage of prospects in their pipeline.

I've resigned to Eriksson being a cap dump as nothing but a pipe dream.  I'm all for buying him out if he doesn't retire.  Canucks are going to have to eat about $5.0M in cap hit, whether it's spread over one year or two years, so $4.0M in 2021-22 and $1.0M in 2022-23 vs. $4.925M in 2021-22 is all the same to me (though I think getting the extra $925K in 2021-22 would be helpful).

3 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I doubt the Red Wings would be looking for an emerging NHL goalie such as DiPietro under the terms laid out in the above proposal.  The Wings have a kid named Keith Petruzelli who is coming off of two outstanding seasons as a junior and senior at Quinnipiac University who they are pretty high on.  They also have a bunch of goalie prospects in Europe so there isn't a shortage of prospects in their pipeline.

No one else seems to think that they are OK with goaltending prospects.... none of their top prospects is a goalie.

https://www.nhl.com/news/mock-2021-nhl-draft-buffalo-has-top-pick-seattle-pick-second/c-325164100

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2944125-updated-2021-nhl-mock-draft-predictions.amp.html

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nhl/news/nhl-mock-draft-2021-sabres-owen-power-no-1-wide-open-draft/5rimj5ar60u51hm3argkq0mna

https://hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jeremy--Laura/Nothing-to-see-here-Detroits-goalie-pool-is-shallow/275/111868

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-prospect-rankings-2021/

They have two firsts and could always go after Cossa with their 2nd 1st. 

They also have Petruzzelli, a 22 year old goalie who was a Hobey Baker finalist and was the NCAA goalie of the year this season.  

He put up a 1.89 goals against average and .926 save percentage through 29 games this season. Last season he had impressive numbers and has gotten better year by year. 

So if they’re gonna get a goalie it doesn’t need to be with a top 10 pick since they have good depth with Peteuzzelli(who could very well already be their goalie of the future) and other early picks with other good goalies in this draft like Cossa.  

If Petruzzelli doesn’t sign they’ll have problems but they have a lot of options. This draft has 2 good goalies and another 1-2 others that aren’t bad. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

MD is our third best prospect according to THN, right behind Podz and Rathbone.    They say some pretty nice things about the kid too.   Starter is likely not going to happen,  but a 1b sort of thing like Allen and Elliot is a possibility.  For sure he's got a future backing up Demko, the club (Canucks), have done a good job keeping our goalie pipe on point. 

To me at least, it's not worth dumping LE, and Detroit for sure would be interested.    The trade might actually work for them, but for us i'm not so sure.   Clearing up cap just to have more money now scares the crap out of me.   There is little in the UFA game that is attractive this year outside of Hamilton who will almost certainly sign long term with CAR.   Barrie?  Please NO!! 

As far as the super kids - EP i'd for sure try and sign long term, flat cap deal around 6.5-7x6-8 ... QHs worries me.   A bridge makes way more sense for him.   Seriously 5 is what he's earned and not a penny more.    The net overall outcome is too close to zero once you factor in the added PP component.   And even the PP wasn't good this year with him running it let's be honest.  

This year was also a bit of a mulligan.  QHs is super young for a D doing what he can do, the potential is through the roof.   But you risk everything when you pay for potential.    Even EP, how much has he really done that makes him a higher paid player then BB?   With flat cap bridge deals now should look exactly like they did two or three years ago.   Same with second contracts.   Dubas and Chakya starting screwing the entire system up (third contracts are the legacy deals folks, not second contracts unless your the best player in the world, there is no business paying guys 8-11.5 million on their second deals.   

Fortunately the rest of the league just ignored them.    EP vs Barzal.   Barzal was probably slightly overpaid for his bridge.   Makes it tough for EP to get signed for less but personally feel 6 is fair given flat cap.    In other words i'm not that worried about these kids getting the brinks treatment.   If they do i'm not going to be happy.    Don't feel QHs adds as much as EP either.   Not yet anyways, and of the two he's the safer one to sign long term (repeating myself now lol).    JB has the money with a buyout, Beagle on the LTIR etc to actually make it work for both on long term deals IMO.    Because they shouldn't make 8 anyways.  

12 hours ago, BPA said:

Is DiPietro = 1st?  I don't think so.  Cuz from past trades, it takes a 1st to get rid of contracts like LE.  So at least a 2nd or another top prospect is needed.

Rather just ride our 1 more year of LE instead weakening our prospect depth.

incorrect, Detroit gained a 2nd round pick for taking on 1 year of M. Staal and his 5.9m contract. I would be fine giving up a 2nd if we moved LE, imagine if Seattle took Oscar Meyer...we would have just freed 12m up to help sign our guys and look at the trade route to acquire a RHD at a discounted price if a team can't protect said player.

Same could be said about adding a better quality top 6 player over say protecting Pearson who had a down year yet got rewarded with a 3 year deal and supposed Seattle protection. Has Pearson scored the OT game winning goal that clinched us that elusive Stanley Cup...Hell no he has NOT! Pro athletes get paid millions, it is a what have you done lately sport...I don;t remember 2 years ago as clearly as I remember this past year and how much of a disappointed Pearson was offensively, hence why I though he should 100% be traded vs keeping and either losing for nothing (not happening) or rewarding said player who had a down year with a new contract with term AND expansion protection!?!?

Man, players and agents must salivate if JB calls them to negotiate!!!!