The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] If exposed would Seattle take Myers

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Didn't JB get Bowey for this specific reason?

Yeah Bowey meets the exposure requirements. But there may be an ability to acquire an ED-eligible player from a team that can't protect them all. Thus the discussion on Myers, Bowey gives us the option if we want to or not which is a great option to have anyways.

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Pearson had a down year, yet we gave him a 3 year extension at barely a pay cut...piss poor GM decision imo. Guaranteed you can sign a UFA who will be better for less $$ and term. I hope Seattle takes Oscar Meyer or LE, give something up but clear 6m in cap space. Keep Holtby for 1 more year as it gives Dipietro 1 more full AHL year to keep improving. Can also trade Holtby at deadline to a contender with retention and finish the year with Dipietro as a back up if we are out of the playoff picture again next TDL

I mean the whole team struggled soooooo.... The year previous Pearson had 45 points...

Like I'm not like a super fan of Pearson but people  always seem to harp on a single bad season and fail to recognize the previous history like a singular snapshot is a clear indication of the future. I think he is and will be a consistent top 9 forward for us with the ability to play the PK and second PP and can step up to top 6 when injuries occurs... That has value to me and a 3.25m contract over 3 years does not break the bank for a player like that.

• Vintage 1

If Meyers is exposed, SEA will definitely take him.  He has 3yrs left at $6M.  A big RHD to stabilize the D on their noob franchise.  Then next year they can trade him with 50% retention and snag a 1st in 2023.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Does it rub anyone else the wrong way that we're going to likely lose a quality prospect in Gadjovich just because JB told Pearson he would protect him?

Doubtful we would've lost Pearson in the first place

you're definition of quality seems pretty liberal here...

I mean even with Pearson protected canucks have an extra spot to protect someone... hell you can protect Lind and Gadjovich if you want to expose Motte...

Just now, BPA said:

If Meyers is exposed, SEA will definitely take him.  He has 3yrs left at $6M.  A big RHD to stabilize the D on their noob franchise.  Then next year they can trade him with 50% retention and snag a 1st in 2023.

This makes some sense.. Myers at 3m for 2 years seems like a good add for any team

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Curious as to where you heard that. I haven't seen on quote from Francis regarding specific interest. He's only said to other GMs that he is more than willing to take a bad pick but it will be costly.

Probably should have initially stated to take what I was saying with a grain of salt after rereading it.

Speculated sources, mostly out of Seattle/twitter. Rehashing what you've/Franzis have stated, that you'd have to pay a price to make them take someone off your hands like that. They won't just take them. Mocks I have seen there have them taking Lind/Gadjo/Mac as it stands, they are not accounting for potential deals. 

Personally I wouldn't be doing any teams in my division any favors if I was Seattle. I would up the price of taking a bad contract immensely with teams in my own division. I am not sure they will be as shrewd as I would be though.

I do think that there's on off-chance they take Holtby. He's a veteran presence and a potential trade chip kind of like Giordano but less valuable.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Depends who's available to Seattle.  Myers could be an option for them.  But most likely they will take one of our younger players.  And I'm pretty sure Myers will not be exposed in the ED.

he will if Jim can pick up another d before the expansion draft. 

24 minutes ago, BPA said:

I hope you’re right.

35 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he will if Jim can pick up another d before the expansion draft. 

If we are picking up another D prior to expansion than most likely Juolevi is going the other way. Myers is the only right shot defencman we currently have on our roster. Why would Benning give him away?

Myers gets a lot of heat around here. But at the end of the day he’s a 6’8” right handed D who can play big minutes if needed and can run a power play and also kill penalties. Seattle would probably take him over Kole Lind or Jonah Gadjovich for that reason. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we are picking up another D prior to expansion than most likely Juolevi is going the other way. Myers is the only right shot defencman we currently have on our roster. Why would Benning give him away?

Myers gets a lot of heat around here. But at the end of the day he’s a 6’8” right handed D who can play big minutes if needed and can run a power play and also kill penalties. Seattle would probably take him over Kole Lind or Jonah Gadjovich for that reason. 

I happen to like Myers. But they negotiated his contract to allow for exposure to Seattle, so its there if we want to use that option. 

Say we bring in another younger RHD, why just lose that person to Seattle for nothing? We got Myers as a UFA, so if we lose him it opens up more cap space. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I happen to like Myers. But they negotiated his contract to allow for exposure to Seattle, so its there if we want to use that option. 

Say we bring in another younger RHD, why just lose that person to Seattle for nothing? We got Myers as a UFA, so if we lose him it opens up more cap space. 

How exactly are we going to pick up another young right handed D?  There are none in free agency as they are all old. It would have to be via a trade.  Our only trade chips are the 9OA pick, Juolevi and Motte. If Benning moves the first round draft pick then that would change the parameters. That’s the only way I can see Myers being exposed. 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is little chance that Juolevi gets traded prior to the ED.. Juolevi is not worth an ED slot and I wouldn't be trading assets for a player to later expose him to the ED.

Hamonic is likely going to resign here and Schmidt plays on the right efficiently so those 2 right-side defense provide more to me than Myers does.. That said I do think he is a good player and gets a bad rap around here for his deficiencies whilst ignoring the good parts of his game.

In general our defense could use a shake-up and Myers has been here for 2 years so that would be one of the options to move off the 6m contract and look at other options.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How exactly are we going to pick up another young right handed D?  There are none in free agency as they are all old. It would have to be via a trade.  Our only trade chips are the 9OA pick, Juolevi and Motte. If Benning moves the first round draft pick then that would change the parameters. That’s the only way I can see Myers being exposed. 

I admit I haven't looked hard at the RHD options, but looking at the list (in no particular order)

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2022/caphit/all/defense/all/desc/right?signing-status=ufa:

1. Barrie
  2. Vatanen
  3. Ceci
  4. Montour
  5. Larsson
  6. Hamilton
  7. Poolman
  8. Pysyk
  9. Hakanpaa

Seems like a few options from ranging from high-end and likely too expensive to stop-gap 1 year show-me-what-you-got type deals

11 minutes ago, goblix said:

There is little chance that Juolevi gets traded prior to the ED.. Juolevi is not worth an ED slot and I wouldn't be trading assets for a player to later expose him to the ED.

Hamonic is likely going to resign here and Schmidt plays on the right efficiently so those 2 right-side defense provide more to me than Myers does.. That said I do think he is a good player and gets a bad rap around here for his deficiencies whilst ignoring the good parts of his game.

In general our defense could use a shake-up and Myers has been here for 2 years so that would be one of the options to move off the 6m contract and look at other options.

I admit I haven't looked hard at the RHD options, but looking at the list (in no particular order)

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2022/caphit/all/defense/all/desc/right?signing-status=ufa:

1. Barrie
  2. Vatanen
  3. Ceci
  4. Montour
  5. Larsson
  6. Hamilton
  7. Poolman
  8. Pysyk
  9. Hakanpaa

Seems like a few options from ranging from high-end and likely too expensive to stop-gap 1 year show-me-what-you-got type deals

Hamonic doesn’t provide more than Myers. Myers plays in all situations, Hamonic does not. Also we can protect Myers and simply re-sign Hamonic after the ED as he is a UFA. So re-signing Hamonic has zero affect on who we protect in the ED.

That UFA list you provided for available right handed D is pretty underwhelming. You actually forgot to list the best of the bunch which is David Savard. Savard would be an upgrade on Hamonic and can play big minutes with Hughes. 

The ED is being held before free agency so we won’t know what any of those UFA’s are going to do prior to the ED. So exposing Myers would be a huge risk unless we secure someone like Savard prior to the start of free agency. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Probably not.  Seattle is very much into analytics and contract efficiency was part of their analysis in their GM search.

The advanced stat community seems to consider his contract a fail.  Sportlogiq’s tracking technology a year ahead of free agency also showed that he was inefficient in his own zone back in Winnipeg.  The Canucks have been one of the worse defensive team the past few seasons so not sure he has improved that part of his game.  Maurica was using him as a 3rd pairing D when everyone was healthy.  Seems to be also the case under Green where the toughest matchups go to Edler and then Hughes and he doesn’t play much with either.

• Cheers 1