The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My final 2021-22 line-up wish list. (I tried to take in account what the fan base wants and management)

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

26 minutes ago, mll said:

Last off-season they were looking to move Johnson (5M) and another contract big contract - they were looking at offers to decide who would be that 2nd player (Killorn, Palat and even Stamkos was not on their untouchable list per McKenzie unlike Cernak, Sergachev and Cirelli).  They probably still want to move Johnson and will still need to lose another big contract.  The priority was to get Sergachev, Cirelli and Cernak under contract - they were not the ones they ever considered trading.  Kucherov going on LTIR just delayed the moves.  

That's my point Kucherov delayed certain moves.

If no team is still willing to take Johnson and that is plan A than I would have to conclude they would have to go to plan B something they may not want to but have to do.

You mentioned last season my point to you is this isn't last season therefore things could and have changed for them.

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Varlamov was charged with domestic violence and even spent a night in jail but was never suspended either.  The case was later dismissed.

This is true.  So if Virtanen isn't even charged with a crime then I highly doubt the Canucks try to suspend him or terminate his contract.  They are waiting for the Police to finish their investigation before they decide on the next steps.  If it carries into August then they will most likely have to make a decision on whether to buy him out or keep him around.  I'm thinking they will expose him in the ED and if he isn't taken they will just buy him out, unless the Police investigation is concluded prior to that time and they file charges.  Then his contract gets terminated.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

I am saying he's unlikely to be coming to Vancouver.   Why would he when he can get as much if not more in Nashville with a bigger role.  

Danault doesn't seem to want to be a C3 - that's in part why he turned down the 6x 5M in Montreal.  He was pretty candid about how he didn't like his role in the bubble with Kotkaniemi and Suzuki playing offence above him.  He was saying that he thought he had proved he is a top-6 C and didn't want to be stuck in a defensive role.  

I wonder if our best trade partner for expansion might be Toronto? if they want to protect Holl, and you'd think they would, maybe we could trade for Kerfoot to help with our 3C situation. He hasn't been great in face-offs in TO, but he was pretty good in Colorado. If we could get Kerfoot on the third line with say Sutter on a  team friendly deal for one year year might be a good combo. Motte-Sutter-Kerfoot would be a solid line that should produce a bit, at least compared to what we've had lately. 

Maybe Lockwood and a late pick? 3rd or 4th?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

That's my point Kucherov delayed certain moves.

If no team is still willing to take Johnson and that is plan A than I would have to conclude they would have to go to plan B something they may not want to but have to do.

You mentioned last season my point to you is this isn't last season therefore things could and have changed for them.

Tampa used LTIR to perfection this past year to keep all of their young star players.  They may not have that option next year.  The GM can say whatever he wants, but at the end of the day if Tampa needs to clear cap space they may need to add a guy like Cernak or Foote in a cap dump to clear space to be cap compliant for 2021.  Either they play ball with Seattle and give them picks or prospects to take Johnson, Killorn or Palat or they need to make a hockey trade and use Cernak or Foote as sweeteners for someone to take on Johnson's contract.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  So if Virtanen isn't even charged with a crime then I highly doubt the Canucks try to suspend him or terminate his contract.  They are waiting for the Police to finish their investigation before they decide on the next steps.  If it carries into August then they will most likely have to make a decision on whether to buy him out or keep him around.  I'm thinking they will expose him in the ED and if he isn't taken they will just buy him out, unless the Police investigation is concluded prior to that time and they file charges.  Then his contract gets terminated.

They have to make a decision by 27 July.  The buyout window opens latest 16 July and closes a day before the start of free agency.   Virtanen is not eligible for a buyout during the 2nd window should Vancouver even have one.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

They have to make a decision by 27 July.  The buyout window opens latest 16 July and closes a day before the start of free agency.   Virtanen is not eligible for a buyout during the 2nd window should Vancouver even have one.

So July 27 is the date then.  That is after both drafts so we will know by then what the decision is.  Hopefully the Police report comes out prior to that date so the Canucks can have certainty either way.  I'm thinking Jake is gone either way but if his criminal case is dismissed then at least the Canucks can try and get something for him.  If he is charged with sexual assault then his contract gets terminated immediately and his NHL career is effectively over.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tampa used LTIR to perfection this past year to keep all of their young star players.  They may not have that option next year.  The GM can say whatever he wants, but at the end of the day if Tampa needs to clear cap space they may need to add a guy like Cernak or Foote in a cap dump to clear space to be cap compliant for 2021.  Either they play ball with Seattle and give them picks or prospects to take Johnson, Killorn or Palat or they need to make a hockey trade and use Cernak or Foote as sweeteners for someone to take on Johnson's contract.

They can also buy Johnson out - it's a 1M cap hit next season but will increase after.  Palat, Killorn probably have some trade value.  Expansion could well help Tampa.  

57 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Looking at the UFA list there’s a few LWs (and a few versatile guys who can slide to C in a pinch) who could very well elevate the team.  None will come cheap after our dismal year though.

I agree that Miller as “3C” is misleading - he’d still be top 2-3 on the team for forward ice time. It also brings a ton of versatility - we can always reunite the lotto line when down a goal in the 3rd.  He said he learned a lot this year playing the middle - I’d love to see him build off of that.

Yep I'd work hard to try and set him up as the 3rd line center. As you say it's misleading as he'd still be top 3 forwards in ice time.

Especially with Hodz and Podz because if 1 of them are on the 3rd line you have the makings of a great line.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if our best trade partner for expansion might be Toronto? if they want to protect Holl, and you'd think they would, maybe we could trade for Kerfoot to help with our 3C situation. He hasn't been great in face-offs in TO, but he was pretty good in Colorado. If we could get Kerfoot on the third line with say Sutter on a  team friendly deal for one year year might be a good combo. Motte-Sutter-Kerfoot would be a solid line that should produce a bit, at least compared to what we've had lately. 

Kerfoot is interesting.  I like Hyman better.  I wonder what his price will be in free agency?  Miller as a 3C and Hyman playing on his right wing with Hoglander on the left would be a pretty strong 3rd line.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kerfoot is interesting.  I like Hyman better.  I wonder what his price will be in free agency?  Miller as a 3C and Hyman playing on his right wing with Hoglander on the left would be a pretty strong 3rd line.

I would think TO would like to extend Hyman, but we'll see. I suspect he gets around 4 mil or so given his production lately. He's TO born and bred tho, I think he stays put. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

They can also buy Johnson out - it's a 1M cap hit next season but will increase after.  Palat, Killorn probably have some trade value.  Expansion could well help Tampa.  

Buying out Johnson would be ugly, he'd be on the books for 6 years.  And they would still be over the cap.  They could trade Palat or Killorn in a hockey trade.  I guess if they are determined enough to keep Cernak and Foote there is the buyout route.  They will be sacrificing their future but their window is now so I guess it would be worth it.

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

TB are in cap hell for next season.  They are already over 5m in cap with only 19 players signed.  The only trades they can make (in order to unload some salary) is for a pic or a prospect.  They don't have their 1st or 2nd round picks for this year and will likely not have them for next year, as they will probably have to trade their 1st to unload a contract to Seattle. Desperate times take desperate measures.

Cernak is not their top pairing RD; that would be Sergachev.  They also have Foote coming along.  Knowing TB, they probably have a decent prospect in their ranks as well.

They have to unload cap, while also trying to avoid losing a top player in the ED.  I think they would gladly take the 9th overall (and possibly a prospect) for Cernak and Johnson - that's $8m in cap.  Of course, I would much rather claim Cerilli, but I doubt TB would do that.

TBL will move two players this off season out of this list: Johnson, Killorn, Gourde, Palat, McDonagh.

Due to the quality of those players, it won't require desperate measures.

One of those players will be selected by Seattle, due to TBL protecting other desirable players. The second of those players will be traded. This will get them out of "cap hell" and won't be a big deal.

2 hours ago, mll said:

We agree - neither look to be realistic options.  Drance thinks the plan is to start Miller as C3 next season.  It's normally easier to find wingers.  

I actually like Granlund as a RW option with Pearson and Horvat. He is a good play maker and plays an excellent 2-way game. This frees up Hoglander to play LW with Petey or Miller.

If we can create the cap space I like Coleman and Granlund as UFA wingers. Something like:

Coleman Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Granlund

Hoglander Miller Podkolzin

Both Coleman and Granlund are good 2-way players and provide cover at C in case of injuries. Both can play PK.

Is it realistic? Probably not.

55 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Kerfoot is not the C (or C-type) we're looking for IMO.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, smithers joe said:

some seattle fans think that st.louis will leave vince dunn available in the ED. does anyone have a read on him?

JB must be kicking himself for not signing toffoli.  what could have been. he was a great pick up by JB in the first place.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Kerfoot is not the C (or C-type) we're looking for IMO.

no? he seems pretty versatile to me. If we end up keeping Sutter I thought maybe there's a good combo there.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no? he seems pretty versatile to me. If we end up keeping Sutter I thought maybe there's a good combo there.

Small, meh on faceoffs, tends to need cushier usage to produce...

He does have decent two way play (considering those things) but we have a load of guys in that mold in our prospect pool (Costmar, Karlsson, Jasek...) and might land a guy like that this draft. Investing trade capital and $3.5m cap hit for that seems short sighted.

Far rather see us target guys like Jenner or Paul and let Costmar, Karlsson, Jasek, this year's 9OA develop in to that role.

50 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

TBL will move two players this off season out of this list: Johnson, Killorn, Gourde, Palat, McDonagh.

Due to the quality of those players, it won't require desperate measures.

One of those players will be selected by Seattle, due to TBL protecting other desirable players. The second of those players will be traded. This will get them out of "cap hell" and won't be a big deal.

I highly doubt Seattle does Tampa a favour and picks one of those 5 players without getting something back in return.  They could simply pick another cheaper player from their roster or someone in the minors who they think highly of.  At the end of the day if Tampa wants to keep their young core intact they will need to sacrifice picks to get Seattle to take on a big contract and then they will need to buyout one or two of the other players.  Johnson's buyout would be ugly so he is probably the player that Tampa negotiates with Seattle to take.  

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Small, meh on faceoffs, tends to need cushier usage to produce...

He does have decent two way play (considering those things) but we have a load of guys in that mold in our prospect pool (Costmar, Karlsson, Jasek...) and might land a guy like that this draft. Investing trade capital and $3.5m cap hit for that seems short sighted.

Far rather see us target guys like Jenner or Paul and let Costmar, Karlsson, Jasek, this year's 9OA develop in to that role.

eh, fair enough. Was just trying to take good things from the Leafs if possible. 

I do think they leave him exposed, I can't see them losing Holl, given the step back that d group would take.