The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My final 2021-22 line-up wish list. (I tried to take in account what the fan base wants and management)

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Nurnge said:

Question...unless it is Florida Dallas or another No tax  state the offer sheet would have to be higher to equal his Net pay , No ?

Presumably all players look at their net pay as part of the decision on where they play, as well as the opportunity to progress in their career. I also think that where you live factors into the tax you pay.

Maybe JB can swing a deal to get that Toffoli guy from the Montreal team where he led their team all season long in points and now in the playoffs too - let alone that beautiful O.T. Series winning goal against Winnipeg tonight.  What an impact player!   

Maybe we could trade Lazy Jake (if he's still out of prison by July) and a second rounder for him.  He's only about $1.5m more and his points output is more than Ten Times that of Lazy Jake.   I think Uncle Jim would go for that because he's such a smart GM that he would never pass on such a deal.

To be honest I don't think JB is going to make many, if any, moves, and just let our team grow from within. It's a slow route to the playoffs but safe one. I don't agree with it, but I think we're going to see this lineup for opening night (in only a few month's time):

Boeser - Miller - Pettersson

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Podkolzin - Sutter - Motte

Hawryluk - Highmore - Graovac

McEwan/Boyd

That's assuming Beagle is injured (otherwise he's at 4C) and we do something with Roussel (even if we don't he doesn't deserve to play ahead of some of those guys)

Hughes - Hamonic

Edler - Myers

Rathbone - Schmidt

Juolevi

Demko

Holtby

Of course we'll lose a player to Seattle but hopefully won't be anyone good. We've got about 6 bottom-6 pylons we've acquired during the season who are up for grabs.

On the whole, I don't see this team making the playoffs, we've got a big bridge to gap and IMO it starts with the coaching staff, but lets see what this team can do...

On 6/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

To be honest I don't think JB is going to make many, if any, moves, and just let our team grow from within. It's a slow route to the playoffs but safe one. I don't agree with it, but I think we're going to see this lineup for opening night (in only a few month's time):......................

.....................Of course we'll lose a player to Seattle but hopefully won't be anyone good. We've got about 6 bottom-6 pylons we've acquired during the season who are up for grabs.

...................On the whole, I don't see this team making the playoffs, we've got a big bridge to gap and IMO it starts with the coaching staff, but lets see what this team can do...

I agree. Little to nuthin' goin' on this off season. And I would venture that the expansion draft loss won't be too much of a factor with our next season lineup.

However, the team could make the playoffs. But there's a good chance if in doing so, they wont go far.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Roussel-Wennberg-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Graves-Schmidt 

Hughes-Zadorov

Rathbone-Myers

Demko

Holtby

1) Buyout Virtanen + Eriksson in minors = money towards Wennberg

2) 2nd rounder + small add for Ryan Graves

3) Bye Bye Edler

4) Bye Bye Hamonic

5) Trade for Nikita Zadorov

6) Bye Bye Sutter

7) Re-up Petey and Hughes 

On 6/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't think JB is going to make many, if any, moves

Benning said they were going to be aggressive with trades, buyouts and free agency.  They could have a very different looking team next season. I can't wait, really like that they brought in Brad Shaw and re-signed Clark. Great news for Demko and DiPietro, maybe even Cossa with the 2nd :bigblush:  

Also, Podkolzin will be wearing blue and green and that will be fantastic.

I saw in the Province the other day that TOR won't be able to keep some good players, and one option is for VAN to bring in Kerfoot to C the 3rd line. TOR might even have trouble re-signing Hyman. He'd be great, but a bit expensive I would think. Upgrading the bottom 6 is crucial. 

This is what I’d like to see our team look like:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Roussel-Wennberg-Hoglander

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

2nd + Eriksson + (something minor) for a 7th round pick to clear cap space.

2022-2023:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

####-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-Wennberg-Hoglander
Motte-####-MacEwen

#####-Schmidt / Schmidt-####
Hughes-Larsson

Juolevi-Myers / Rathbone Myers

Demko

Dipietro

With Beagle, Roussel, Holtby, and Luongo cap penalty off the books, the Canucks go HARD after an elite defenseman and a top 6 winger.

Edited by Patel Bure
6 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

2022-2023:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

####-Horvat-Podkolzin

Motte-####-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Demko

Dipietro

With Beagle, Roussel, Holtby, and Luongo cap penalty off the books, the Canucks go HARD after an elite defenseman and a top 6 winger.

Whys Hogz on your 3rd line?  After Petey hes easily our most gifted forward.

And if Schmidt is still on our top pairing, we are in trouble.

Edited by EddieVedder
On 6/12/2021 at 11:18 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Benning said they were going to be aggressive with trades, buyouts and free agency.  They could have a very different looking team next season. I can't wait, really like that they brought in Brad Shaw and re-signed Clark. Great news for Demko and DiPietro, maybe even Cossa with the 2nd :bigblush:  

Also, Podkolzin will be wearing blue and green and that will be fantastic.

I saw in the Province the other day that TOR won't be able to keep some good players, and one option is for VAN to bring in Kerfoot to C the 3rd line. TOR might even have trouble re-signing Hyman. He'd be great, but a bit expensive I would think. Upgrading the bottom 6 is crucial. 

Normally cant stand collecting torontos garbage but id take Kerfoot anyday.

14 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Whys Hogz on your 3rd line?  After Petey hes easily our most gifted forward.

And if Schmidt is still on our top pairing, we are in trouble.

In 2022-23, I'm assuming that 

1) Podz will surpass Hoglander as a player

2) The Canucks, with their MASSIVE amount of cap space, will bring in a significant top 6 winger that can push the needle (maybe a Filip Forsberg kind of guy?).  Or, Hogz remains better than Pod and Pod plays on that 3rd line with Wennberg and Pearson instead.   Regardless of what transpires, we would have three very good scoring lines.  

re - Schmidt:

1) Schmidt was on the top pairing with Vegas a few years back when Vegas was one of the teams in the league.   Also - with our MASSIVE amount of cap space, we should be able to bring in an elite top pairing defensemen, and hence, giving us two very good pairings; ###/Schmidt on one, and Hughes/Larsson on another.  Either one of these pairings could be the top pairing.   Maybe you could even go Hughes/#### on your top pairing and Schmidt/Larsson on your 2nd.   

meh stamkos and or kucherov will be on LTIR after the end of the playoffs again for the entire season and show up for the playoffs again.. they just need to say they have concussion symptoms life's good when all u have to do is show up for the playoffs and get paid millions to "recover" at home. 

19 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

2022-2023:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

####-Horvat-Podkolzin

Motte-####-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Demko

Dipietro

Might be more realistic to go with Granlund instead of Wennberg as I’m not sure Wennberg will be willing to leave Florida.

2021-2022

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Roussel-Granlund-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

Edited by Patel Bure
3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Might be more realistic to go with Granlund instead of Wennberg as I’m not sure Wennberg will be willing to leave Florida.

2021-2022

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Roussel-Granlund-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

Larsson is going to cost quite a bit to acquire. I don’t think we can get him. We don’t have enough cap space. And I’m not sure if I want another 5 million plus dollar player on the backend. If he comes cheaper than that. Fine. 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Larsson is going to cost quite a bit to acquire. I don’t think we can get him. We don’t have enough cap space. And I’m not sure if I want another 5 million plus dollar player on the backend. If he comes cheaper than that. Fine. 

If the Canucks can find a way to move on from Eriksson (2nd + 3rd is the highest I’d go to make it happen, in terms of sweeteners), then I don’t think cap space will be an issue.

As far as Larsson goes, he probably is a bit overrated but the guy fits our needs perfectly.

-right handed shot

-defensive minded stay at home qualities

-is passable as a top pairing option (which is not something we can say about Hamonic)

-is young(ish) enough to offer some term to, and has a style of game that won’t age too poorly (the same cannot be said for Savard).

-Lastly, even if Larsson is slightly overpaid, he won’t blow our long internal cap structure and strategy out the window in the manner that a Dougie Hamilton or Seth Jones would.

Larsson and Granlund would likely be my top two choices for this off season if we are able to move Eriksson via 2nd + 3rd.

Edited by Patel Bure
2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

If the Canucks can find a way to move on from Eriksson (2nd + 3rd is the highest I’d go to make it happen, in terms of sweeteners), then I don’t think cap space will be an issue.

As far as Larsson goes, he probably is a bit overrated but the guy fits our needs perfectly.

-right handed shot

-defensive minded stay at home qualities

-is passable as a top pairing option (which is not something we can say about Hamonic)

-is young(ish) enough to offer some term to, and has a style of game that won’t age too poorly (the same cannot be said for Savard).

-Lastly, even if Larsson is slightly overpaid, he won’t blow our long internal cap structure and strategy out the window in the manner that a Dougie Hamilton or Seth Jones would.

Larsson and Granlund would likely be my top two choices for this off season if we are able to move Eriksson via 2nd + 3rd.

You don’t think the Canucks haven’t tried to move Erickson the last few years? 

How much do you think Larsson and Granlund are going to be asking this off-season? And what about the term? 3-4 years? 

17 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

You don’t think the Canucks haven’t tried to move Erickson the last few years? 

How much do you think Larsson and Granlund are going to be asking this off-season? And what about the term? 3-4 years? 

1) Unlike previous years, Eriksson will only have one year left on his contract for this coming year.  Marc Staal was moved with a 2nd as a sweetener (5.7 million cap hit), and so I remain optimistic that Eriksson can be moved with a 2nd + 3rd as a sweetener.   

2)  I would be willing to give Granlund a bit of term (relative to other bids) if it meant securing him at a bit of a lower cap hit.   Skill players tend to age far better than physical players and so my guess is that Granlund's level will more or less be similar to what it is now.    Larsson = 5.25 million (to get him to leave Edmonton) / Granlund = 3.75 million?   4 years for each player?   I'll have to admit that I'm completely spitballing here and have no idea what money/term it would take.  

Virtanen buyout + walk from Hamonic + move Eriksson with sweetener = should enable us to afford the above.   No idea though.....

On 6/8/2021 at 2:33 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

Maybe JB can swing a deal to get that Toffoli guy from the Montreal team where he led their team all season long in points and now in the playoffs too - let alone that beautiful O.T. Series winning goal against Winnipeg tonight.  What an impact player!   

Maybe we could trade Lazy Jake (if he's still out of prison by July) and a second rounder for him.  He's only about $1.5m more and his points output is more than Ten Times that of Lazy Jake.   I think Uncle Jim would go for that because he's such a smart GM that he would never pass on such a deal.

What about that Cam Neely trade eh partner? And oh man why didn't Cody Hodgson work out?  If only you could be happy with every transaction in Canuck history you would only be left with b**ching about the food at Rogers... Lol. 

• Upvote 1

As always the thing with JB is his sense of timing. I'll actually be fine if he followed his formula for 2020's offseason and just did nothing and sign cheap help.

• 1 year inexpensive deals for Sutter/Edler/Hamonic
  • We are back in the Pacific, where the top teams are Vegas and EDM
  • Healthy Petey + Podholzin/Rathbone/Lind/Gadjo joining the squad
  • Benning has stated that his goal is to compete in 2022. If we hold off on buying anyone out we can maximize the cap space available that year.
  • Keep all our draft picks, there is a chance the 2021 1st rounder can begin their ELC in the next two years like Hog
  • 2021, just stomach Loui, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby (if he isn't selected). Do what we avoided from 2014-16, take our lumps in both the standings and give the young guns their ice time and reset

We need patience and restraint right now in this delicate stage. We don't want to tie this team for years to come to address a short term issue that will burn itself out after this year.

Really hope Aquilini is not making JB's job incumbent on JUST making playoffs next year, but rather on whether he is setting this team up for future sustainable success. I don't wanna see Panic Benning trades/signings.

Edited by DSVII
  • Vintage 2
12 hours ago, DSVII said:

As always the thing with JB is his sense of timing. I'll actually be fine if he followed his formula for 2020's offseason and just did nothing and sign cheap help.

• 1 year inexpensive deals for Sutter/Edler/Hamonic
  • We are back in the Pacific, where the top teams are Vegas and EDM
  • Healthy Petey + Podholzin/Rathbone/Lind/Gadjo joining the squad
  • Benning has stated that his goal is to compete in 2022. If we hold off on buying anyone out we can maximize the cap space available that year.
  • Keep all our draft picks, there is a chance the 2021 1st rounder can begin their ELC in the next two years like Hog
  • 2021, just stomach Loui, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby (if he isn't selected). Do what we avoided from 2014-16, take our lumps in both the standings and give the young guns their ice time and reset

We need patience and restraint right now in this delicate stage. We don't want to tie this team for years to come to address a short term issue that will burn itself out after this year.

Really hope Aquilini is not making JB's job incumbent on JUST making playoffs next year, but rather on whether he is setting this team up for future sustainable success. I don't wanna see Panic Benning trades/signings.

Standing Pat is wonderful in theory, but management will need to prove to the players, fans, and ownership that losing efforts are unacceptable and that they will do whatever it takes to provide support for the boys.  

Now obviously, I’m not saying that we got out there and start firing off 1st round picks and Jack Rathbones as sweeteners to clear cap and bring in “now” players.  That would be Corky Thatcher levels of retardation.   What I am suggesting however, is that “standing back and letting all the bad contracts ride out” while “getting the band back together again by bringing Sutter and Edler back,” might demonstrate to the players in the lockerroom that management doesn’t care about them and this coming season.....and THAT’s the type of doodoo that will create toxic environments such as what we saw in both Buffalo and Columbus.

Use a 2nd + 3rd, and a B levels sweeteners to get rid of Roussel and Beagle in independent deals for two 7th round picks + go hard after Mikael Granlund and Adam Larsson.